Transparency without Democracy: The Unexpected Effects of China's Environmental Disclosure Policy
Article first published online: 30 NOV 2012
© 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc
Volume 27, Issue 1, pages 37–62, January 2014
How to Cite
Tan, Y. (2014), Transparency without Democracy: The Unexpected Effects of China's Environmental Disclosure Policy. Governance, 27: 37–62. doi: 10.1111/gove.12018
- Issue published online: 9 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 30 NOV 2012
- Beijing University Center for Public Participation Studies and Support. 2010. “Summary of the 2009 Annual Report on China's Administrative Transparency.”
- China Environmental News. 2010. “Ningbo City Zhenhai District Comprehensively Discloses Environmental Information, March 24. (宁波市镇海区全面公开环境信息). <http://www.cenews.com.cn/xwzx/zhxw/ybyw/201003/t20100323_632305.html>. (February 2011).
- China Global Times. 2010. “Ningbo Tops Pollution Transparency List.” <http://www.globaltimes.cn/china/society/2010-12/606531.html>. (February 2011).
- 2005. “Environmental Enforcement in China.” In China's Environment and the Challenge of Sustainable Development, ed. Kirsten Day . Armonk, NY and London: M. E. Sharpe. .
- 2007. Full Disclosure: The Perils and Promise of Transparency. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. , , and .
- Guangzhou Environmental Protection Bureau. 2010. “2009 Report on Open Government Information.” <http://www.gzepb.gov.cn/root43/zfxxgkrb/201002/t20100201_4734.htm>. (November 2010).
- 2001. “Greening without Conflict? Environmentalism, NGOs and Civil Society in China.” Development and Change 32: 893–921. .
- 2004. “Shanghai Advances the Cause of Open Government Information in China.” <http://www.law.yale.edu/documents/pdf/Shanghai_Advances.pdf>. (April 2009). .
- 2007a. “Toward a More Open China.” In The Right to Know: Transparency for An Open World, ed. Ann Florini . New York: Columbia University Press. .
- 2007b. “China Adopts First Nationwide Open Government Information Regulations,” Freedominfo.org, May 9, 2007. <http://www.law.yale.edu/documents/pdf/Intellectual_Life/Ch_China_Adopts_1st_OGI_Regulations.pdf>. (October 2008). .
- 2010. “Update on China's Open Government Information Regulations: Surprising Public Demand Yielding Some Positive Results.” <http://www.freedominfo.org/2010/04/update-on-china-open-government-information-regulations>. (April 2010). .
- 2008. “China's Regulations on Open Government Information: Challenges of Nationwide Policy Implementation.” Open Government: a Journal on Freedom of Information 4 (1): 1–34. .
- Interview A (in person). 08/2010. NGO Office, Beijing, China.
- Interview B (in person). 1/11/11. Journalist, Beijing, China.
- Interview C (in person). 1/11/11. NGO Office, Beijing, China.
- Interview D (in person). 1/12/11. NGO Office, Beijing, China.
- Interview F (via telephone). 1/12/11. NGO, Beijing, China.
- Interview G (in person). 1/13/11. NGO Office, Beijing, China.
- Institute of Public and Environmental Affairs. 2008. “The Green Choice Alliance for Responsible Supply Chain Management.” <www.ipe.org.cn/Upload/Report-GCA-Brochure-EN.pdf>. (November 29, 2010).
- Institute of Public and Environmental Affairs, and Natural Resources Defense Council. 2010. Breaking the Ice on Environment Open Information. The 2008 Pollution Information Transparency Index (PITI) First Annual Assessment of Environmental Transparency in 113 Chinese Cities.
- Institute of Public and Environmental Affairs, and Natural Resources Defense Council. 2011. Environmental Open Information: Between Advance and Retreat. The 2009–2010 Pollution Information Transparency Index (PITI) Second Annual Assessment of Environmental Transparency in 113 Chinese Cities.
- Institute of Public and Environmental Affairs, and Natural Resources Defense Council. 2012. Open Environmental Information: Taking Stock. The 2011 Pollution Information Transparency Index (PITI). Third Annual Assessment of Environmental Transparency in 113 Chinese Cities.
- 1997. “China's Governing System and Its Impact on Environmental Policy Implementation.” China Environment Series. Washington, DC: The Woodrow Wilson Center. .
- 1988. Policy Making in China: Leaders, Structures, and Processes. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. , and .
- 2000. “Environmental Agency and Public Opinion in Guangzhou: The Limits of a Popular Approach to Environmental Governance.” The China Quarterly 163: 677–704. , and .
- 2010. “Transparent Authoritarianism? An Analysis of Political and Economic Barriers to Greater Governmental Transparency in China.” , , and .
- 2000. Environmental Regulation in China. Lanham, Maryland and Oxford, England: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers. , and .
- 2010. “Review of Impact and Effectiveness of Transparency and Accountability Initiatives: Synthesis Report.” Prepared for the Transparency and Accountability Initiative Workshop, Oct 14-15, 2010. Institute of Development Studies. , and .
- 2008. China's Water Warriors: Citizen Action and Policy Change. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.
- Ministry of Environmental Protection. 2008. “Measures on Open Environmental Information (for Trial Implementation).” <http://www.epa.gov/ogc/china/open_environmental.pdf>. (July 2010).
- Ministry of Environmental Protection. 2010a. “Report on Open Government Information Work.” May 18. <http://www.mep.gov.cn/gkml/hbb/bgg/201003/t20100324_187222.htm>. (November 2010).
- Ministry of Environmental Protection. 2010b. “Vice Minister Pan Yue Required that We Should Deepen Disclosure of Environmental Information and Media Supervision at the Meeting of China Environment News on Publicity.” September 15. <http://english.mep.gov.cn/Ministers/Activities/201009/t20100926_194965.htm>. (February 2011).
- 2007. “Making the Law Work: The Challenges of Implementation.” In The Right to Know: Transparency for an Open World, ed. Ann Florini . New York: Columbia University Press. , and .
- 2009. “Ma Jun and the IPE: Using Information to Improve China's Environment.” Stanford Graduate School of Business, Case No. SI-115. .
- 1995. Implementing Environmental Policy in China. Westport, CT: Praeger Publishers. , and .
- 2010a. “Announcing the Release of the Pollution Information Transparency Index (PITI) in English.” NRDC staff blog, October 10. <http://www.greenlaw.org.cn/enblog/?tag=piti>. (October 2010). .
- 2010b. “Assessing the State of Environmental Transparency in China.” NRDC staff blog, June 7 <http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/awang/assessing_the_state_of_environ.html>. (July 2010). .
- 2003. “Incomplete Enforcement of Pollution Regulation: Bargaining Power of Chinese Factories.” Environmental and Resource Economics 24: 245–262. , , , and .
- World Resources Institute, and Institute of Public and Environmental Affairs. 2010. “Greening Supply Chains in China: Practical Lessons from China-based Suppliers in Achieving Environmental Performance.”