When Does Transparency Generate Legitimacy? Experimenting on a Context-Bound Relationship
Article first published online: 30 DEC 2012
© 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc
Volume 27, Issue 1, pages 111–134, January 2014
How to Cite
De Fine Licht, J., Naurin, D., Esaiasson, P. and Gilljam, M. (2014), When Does Transparency Generate Legitimacy? Experimenting on a Context-Bound Relationship. Governance, 27: 111–134. doi: 10.1111/gove.12021
- Issue published online: 9 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 30 DEC 2012
- 2002. “Contemporary Justice Research: A New Look at Familiar Questions.” Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes 89: 803–812.
- 1999. Political Tactics, ed. M. James , C. Blamires , C. Pease-Watkin , and J. W. o. J. B. Bentham . Oxford: Clarendon Press. . 
- 2006. “Transparency as a Human Right.” In Transparency: The Key to Better Governance? ed. C. Hood and D. Heald . Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Bohman, James , and William Rehg , ed. 1997. Deliberative Democracy: Essays on Reason and Politics. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- 1985. “Procedural Justice and Participation.” Human Relations 38: 643–663.
- 2000. “Distributive and Procedural Justice in Seven Nations.” Law and Human Behavior 24: 553–579. , , and .
- 1986. “The Market and the Forum: Three Varieties of Political Theory.” In Foundations of Social Choice Theory, ed. Jon Elster and A. Hylland . Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. .
- 1998. “Deliberation and Constitution Making.” In Deliberative Democracy, ed. J. Elster . New York: Cambridge University Press. .
- 2012. “Which Decision-Making Arrangements Generate the Strongest Legitimacy Beliefs? Evidence from a Randomised Field Experiment.” European Journal of Political Research 51: 785–808. , , and .
- 2010. “Is Transparency the Best Disinfectant? Journal of Political Philosophy 18: 389–404.
- 1999. “Accountability and Authority: Toward a Theory of Political Accountability.” In Democracy, Accountability, and Representation, ed. A. Pzeworski , S. Stokes , and B. Manin . Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 2007. Full Disclosure: The Perils and Promise of Transparency. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. , , and .
- 1996. Democracy and Disagreement: Why Moral Conflict Cannot Be Avoided in Politics, and What Should Be Done about It. Cambridge, MA: Belknap Press. , and .
- 2007. “Mainland Chinese and Canadian Adolescents' Judgments and Reasoning about the Fairness of Democratic and Other Forms of Government.” Cognitive Development 22: 96–109. , , , and .
- 2002. Stealth Democracy: American's Beliefs about How Government Should Work. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. , and .
- 1979. “Moral Hazard and Observability.” Bell Journal of Economics 10: 74–91.
- 2006. “Transparency in Historical Perspective.” In Transparency: The Key to Better Governance? ed. Christopher Hood and D. Heald . Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 2010. “Transparency Is Not Enough: Making Transparency Effective in Reducing Corruption.” International Political Science Review 31: 301–322. , and .
- 2009. “A ‘Selection Model’ of Political Representation.” Journal of Political Philosophy 17: 369–398.
- 2008. “Does Moral Conviction Really Override Concerns about Procedural Justice? A Reexamination of the Value Protection Model.” Social Justice Research 21: 509–528. , and .
- 2007. Deliberation behind Closed Doors: Transparency and Lobbying in the European Union. Colchester, UK: ECPR Press.
- 2012. “The Effects of Direct Voting and Deliberation on Legitimacy Beliefs: An Experimental Study of Small Group Decision-Making.” European Political Science Review. Retrieved from http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S1755773912000173. , , and .
- 2006. Blacked Out: Government Secrecy in the Information Age. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 2006. The Yale Book of Quotations. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
- 1992. “Giving Reasons Requirement.” University of Chicago Legal Forum 179–220.
- 2004. “Open-Door or Closed-Door? Transparency in Domestic and International Bargaining.” International Organization 58: 667–703.
- 2008. “Deliberative Democratic Theory and Empirical Political Science.” Annual Review of Political Science 11: 497–520.
- 2000. “Social Justice: Outcome and Procedure.” International Journal of Psychology 35: 117–125.
- 2006. “Psychological Perspectives on Legitimacy and Legitimation.” Annual Review of Psychology 57: 375–400. .
- 1997. Social Justice in a Diverse Society. Boulder, CO: Westview Press. , , , and .
- 2008. “Voice Is Not Enough—The Importance of Influence in Political Trust and Policy Assessments.” Public Opinion Quarterly 72: 523–539.
- 1999. “What Are We Talking about When We Talk about No-Voice Procedures? On the Psychology of the Fair Outcome Effect.” Journal of Experimental Social Psychology 35: 560–577.
- 2010. “From Actual to Perceived Transparency: The Case of the European Central Bank.” Journal of Economic Psychology 31: 388–399. , and .
- 2009. “Congress and the Cost of Information: A Response to Jane Schacter.” Boston University Law Review 89: 677–687.
- 2010. “More Open but Not More Trusted? The Effect of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 on the United Kingdom Central Government.” Governance 23: 561–582.