What Is Governance?
Version of Record online: 3 MAR 2013
© 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc
Volume 26, Issue 3, pages 347–368, July 2013
How to Cite
Fukuyama, F. (2013), What Is Governance?. Governance, 26: 347–368. doi: 10.1111/gove.12035
- Issue online: 20 MAY 2013
- Version of Record online: 3 MAR 2013
- 2012. “An Archipelago of Excellence? Autonomous State Capacity among Brazilian Federal Agencies.” Unpublished paper. , , and .
- 2001. The Forging of Bureaucratic Autonomy: Reputations, Networks, and Policy Innovation in Executive Agencies, 1862–1928. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. .
- 1966. Equality of Educational Opportunity. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare.
- 1994. “Principled Agents: The Cultural Bases of Behavior in a Federal Government Bureaucracy.” Journal of Public Administration Reseach and Theory 4 (3): 277–320.
- 1995. Embedded Autonomy. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. .
- 2011. The Origins of Political Order: From Prehuman Times to the French Revolution. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux. .
- 1997. The Virtual Corporation and Army Organization. Santa Monica, CA: Rand Corporation. , and .
- 2004. “Good Enough Governance: Poverty Reduction and Reform in Developing Countries.” Governance 17 (4): 525–548.
- 1991. Public Administration: A Comparative Perspective. New York: Marcel Dekker. .
- 2006. Political Order in Changing Societies. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
- 2009. Governance Matters VIII: Aggregate and Individual Governance Indicators, 1996–2008. Washington, DC: World Bank Institute. , and .
- 2006. “Competing Definitions of the Rule of Law.” In Promoting the Rule of Law Abroad: In Search of Knowledge, ed. T. Carothers . Washington, DC: Carnegie Endowment, 31–74. .
- 1988. Controlling Corruption. Berkeley, CA: University of California. .
- 2013. Latin American State Building in Comparative Perspective. New York: Cambridge University Press. .
- 1984. “The Autonomous Power of the State: Its Origins, Mechanisms, and Results.” European Journal of Sociology 25 (2): 185–213. .
- 1988. Strong Societies and Weak States: State-Society Relations and State Capabilities in the Third World. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- 1993. “Dictatorship, Democracy, and Development.” American Political Science Review 87 (9): 567–576. .
- 2004. Public Management Reform: A Comparative Analysis. 2nd ed. New York: Oxford University Press. , and .
- 2011. The Quality of Government: Corruption, Social Trust, and Inequality in International Perspective. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. .
- 1998. “Why Most Developing Countries Should Not Try New Zealand Reforms.” World Bank Research Observer 13 (8): 123–131. .
- 1957. Administrative Behavior: A Study of Decision-Making Processes in Administrative Organization. New York: Free Press. .
- 1997. Good Government in the Tropics. Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press. .
- 1946. From Max Weber: Essays in Sociology. New York: Oxford University Press. .
- 1978. Economy and Society. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press. .
- 1989. Bureaucracy: What Government Agencies Do and Why They Do It. New York: Basic Books.
- 1887. “The Study of Administration.” Political Science Quarterly 2 (2): 197–222. .
- World Bank. 2004. World Development Report 2004: Making Services Work for Poor People. Washington, DC: World Bank.