When Does Service Delivery Improve the Legitimacy of a Fragile or Conflict-Affected State?
Version of Record online: 25 MAR 2014
© 2014 The Author. Governance published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Volume 28, Issue 3, pages 341–356, July 2015
How to Cite
Mcloughlin, C. (2015), When Does Service Delivery Improve the Legitimacy of a Fragile or Conflict-Affected State?. Governance, 28: 341–356. doi: 10.1111/gove.12091
- Issue online: 16 JUN 2015
- Version of Record online: 25 MAR 2014
- 2010. “Rebellion of the Poor: South Africa's Service Delivery Protests—A Preliminary Analysis.” Review of African Political Economy 37 (123): 25–40.
- 2013. “What People Want From Government: Basic Services Performance Ratings, 34 Countries.” Afrobarometer. .
- 2010. “Engagement with Non-State Service Providers in Fragile States: Reconciling State-Building and Service Delivery.” Development Policy Review 28 (2): 131–154. , and .
- 1991. The Legitimation of Power. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan. .
- 2009. The Legitimacy of the State in Fragile Situations. Oslo: Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation. , , , and .
- 2006. Everyday Corruption and the State: Citizens and Public Officials in Africa. Cape Town: David Philip. , and .
- 2012. “Service Delivery and Legitimacy in Fragile and Conflict-Affected States.” Public Management Review 14 (2): 273–293. , , and .
- 2013. Are Service-Delivery NGOs Building State Capacity in the Global South? Experiences from HIV/AIDS Programmes in Rural Uganda. Manchester: Effective States and Inclusive Development. .
- 2008. “Ending Wars and Building Peace: International Responses to War-Torn Societies.” International Studies Perspectives 9 (1): 1–21. , and .
- 2012. Social Protection and Basic Services in Fragile and Conflict-Affected Situations. London: Secure Livelihoods Research Programme, Overseas Development Institute. , , and .
- 2011. “Sources of State Legitimacy in Contemporary South Africa: A Theory of Political Goods.” Working Paper No. 134, Afrobarometer. .
- 1999. Africa Works: Disorder as a Political Instrument. Suffolk: James Currey Publishers. , and .
- 2002. Legitimacy and Politics: A Contribution to the Study of Political Right and Political Responsibility. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. .
- 2005. Seeing the State: Governance and Governmentality in India. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. .
- Department for International Development (DFID). 2010. Building Peaceful States and Societies: A DFID Practice Paper. London: DFID.
- 2012. Risks of Corruption to State Legitimacy and Stability in Fragile Situations: U4 Anti-Corruption Resource Centre. , , and .
- 2002. State Legitimacy and Development in Africa. Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner. .
- 2006. “Promoting Stability and Development in Fragile and Failed States.” Development Policy Review 24 (2): 141–160. , and .
- 2004. Overcoming Apartheid: Can Truth Reconcile a Divided Nation? New York: Russell Sage Foundation. .
- 2006. “The Meaning and Measure of State Legitimacy: Results for 72 Countries.” European Journal of Political Research 45 (3): 499–525. .
- 2009. The Right to Rule: How States Win and Lose Legitimacy. New York: Colombia University Press. .
- 2011. Rebuilding Trust in Government via Service Delivery: The Case of Medellin, Colombia. Washington, DC: World Bank. .
- 1995. “Blurred Boundaries: The Discourse of Corruption, the Culture of Politics, and the Imagined State.” American Ethnologist 22 (2): 375–402. .
- 1996. The State, War, and the State of War. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. .
- 2013. “What Shapes Citizens' Evaluations of Their Public Officials' Accountability? Evidence from Local Ethiopia.” Public Administration and Development 33 (5): 389–403. .
- 2008. Fragile States, Fractured Societies Fixing Fragile States: A New Paradigm for Development. London: Praeger Security International. .
- 2014. “External Actors, State-Building, and Service Provision in Areas of Limited Statehood: Introduction.” Governance. Advance online publication. doi:10.1111/gove.12065 , and .
- 2010. “Rebuilding Health Systems to Improve Health and Promote Statebuilding in Post-Conflict Countries: A Theoretical Framework and Research Agenda.” Social Science & Medicine 70 (1): 89–97. , , , and .
- 2007). Building Legitimate States After Civil Wars: Order, Authority, and International Trusteeship. . (
- 2009. “Statebuilding without Nation-Building? Legitimacy, State Failure and the Limits of the Institutionalist Approach.” Journal of Intervention and Statebuilding 3 (1): 21–45. .
- 2009. “Conceptualizing Legitimacy, Measuring Legitimating Beliefs.”American Behavioral Scientist 53 (3): 354–375. , , and .
- 1984. “Social Conflict, Legitimacy and Democracy.” In Legitimacy and the State, ed. W. Connolly, 88–103. Oxford: Basil Blackwell. .
- 2012. Service Delivery and State Legitimacy: Multi-Stakeholder Processes in Water and Sanitation in Ethiopia. Maastricht: Maastricht School of Management. , , and .
- 2012. The Effects of Sector Characteristics on Accountability Relationships in Service Delivery. London: Overseas Development Institute. , and .
- 2001. State in Society: Studying How States and Societies Transform and Constitute One Another. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. .
- 2002. “State Failure, State Collapse, and State Reconstruction: Concepts, Lessons and Strategies.” Development and Change 33 (5): 753–774. , and .
- 2012. State-Building, Peace-Building and Service Delivery in Fragile and Conflict-Affected States: Synthesis Research Report. London: CfBT Education Trust.
- Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation (NORAD). 2009. Political Economy Analysis with a Legitimacy Twist: What Is It and Why Does It Matter? Oslo: Norwegian Agency for Development.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). 2008. State-Building in Situations of Fragility: Initial Findings. Paris: OECD.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). 2010. The State's Legitimacy in Fragile Situations: Unpacking Complexity. Paris: OECD.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). 2011. Supporting State-Building in Situations of Conflict and Fragility: Policy Guidance. Paris: OECD.
- 1996. “Crossing the Great Divide; Co-production, Synergy, and Development.” World Development 24 (6): 1073–1088.
- 2012. “An Empirical Approach to Post-conflict Legitimacy: Victims' Needs and the Everyday.” Journal of Intervention and Statebuilding 7 (1): 45–64. .
- 2008. “Hybrid States: Globalisation and the Politics of State Capacity.” Political Studies 56 (3): 566–583. .
- 2004. “The Failure and Collapse of Nation-States: Breakdown, Prevention and Repair.” In When States Fail: Causes and Consequences, ed. Robert Rotberg, 3–10. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. .
- 2009. “Creating Political Legitimacy: Electoral Democracy versus Quality of Government.” The American Behavioral Scientist 53 (3): 311–330. .
- 2011. The Quality of Government: Corruption, Social Trust and Inequality in International Perspective. London: The University of Chicago Press. .
- 2009. “Non-State Actor Provision of Services, Government Legitimacy, and the Rule of Law.” Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Sociological Association Annual Meeting, Hilton San Francisco, San Francisco, CA. .
- 2011. The Antecedents of Approval, Trust and Legitimating Beliefs in sub-Saharan Africa, Latin America and six Arab Countries. Washington, DC: World Bank. .
- 1992. Co-optive Politics and State Legitimacy. Aldershot: Dartmouth. .
- 1984. “Legitimacy in the Modern State.” In Legitimacy and the State, ed. W. Connolly. Oxford: Basil Blackwell. .
- 2011. State Legitimacy and MSP Service Delivery: Experiences from Burundi. The Hague: Peace, Security and Development Network.
- ., ., & . 2012. Multi-Stakeholder Service Provision and State Legitimacy in Situations of Conflict and Fragility: Experiences from Burundi, DR Congo, Nepal and the Palestinian Territories. The Hague: Peace, Security and Development Network. , , , , and
- 2012. “Beyond Capacity—Addressing Authority and Legitimacy in Fragile States.” Manuscript. , , and .
- 1992. Coercion, Capital and European States, AD 990-1992. Oxford: Blackwell. .
- 2011. “Friends or Foes? Nonstate Public Goods Providers and Local State Authorities in Nondemocratic and Transitional Systems.” Studies in Comparative International Development 46: 46–69. .
- 2006. “Psychological Perspectives on Legitimacy and Legitimation.” Annual Review of Psychology 57: 375–400. .
- 2011. “The Political Role of Service Delivery in State-Building: Exploring the Relevance of European History for Developing Countries.” Development Policy Review 29 (1): 5–21. , and .
- 2011. State Capacity and Inclusive Development. Manchester, Effective States and Inclusive Development. .
- 1962). Basic Concepts in Sociology. New York, NY: Citadel Press. . (
- 2008. States in Development: Understanding State-Building. London: Department for International Development. .
- 2009. “Fragile States: Securing Development.” Survival 50 (6): 67–84. .