This paper contains most of the concluding remarks of the ESPON 2013—KIT (Knowledge, Innovation, Territory) Project. The final report is available at the website http://www.espon.eu/main/Menu_Projects/Menu_AppliedResearch/kit.html. Financial support by the KIT (Knowledge, Innovation, Territory) project is therefore gratefully acknowledged.
Regional Innovation Patterns and the EU Regional Policy Reform: Toward Smart Innovation Policies
Version of Record online: 16 MAY 2013
© 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc
Growth and Change
Special Issue: Knowledge, Innovation, and Regional Performance Territorial Patterns of Innovation in Europe. Guest Editor: Roberta Capello
Volume 44, Issue 2, pages 355–389, June 2013
How to Cite
Camagni, R. and Capello, R. (2013), Regional Innovation Patterns and the EU Regional Policy Reform: Toward Smart Innovation Policies. Growth and Change, 44: 355–389. doi: 10.1111/grow.12012
- Issue online: 16 MAY 2013
- Version of Record online: 16 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: SEP 2012
- Manuscript Revised: JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: MAY 2012
- KIT (Knowledge, Innovation, Territory) project
- 1994. R&D spillovers and recipient firm size. The Review of Economics and Statistics 76(2): 336–340. , , and .
- 2004. The missing link: The knowledge filter and entrepreneurship in endogenous growth. CEPR Discussion Paper 4783. , , , and .
- 2000. Geographic and sectoral characteristics of academic knowledge externalities. Papers in Regional Science 79(4): 435–443. , , and .
- 1989. A failure inducement model of research and development expenditure: Italian evidence from the early 1980s. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization 12(2): 159–180.
- 2011. Constructing regional advantage: Platform policies based on related variety and differentiated knowledge base. Regional Studies 45(7): 893–904. , , and .
- 1996. R&D spillovers and the geography of innovation and production. The American Economic Review 86(3): 630–640. , and .
- 2010. In defense of a linear model. Research Policy 39: 1–13. , , and .
- 2009. An Agenda for the Reformed Cohesion Policy. Report to the Commissioner for Regional Policy, Brussels, April.
- 2012. Technological interdependence and regional growth in Europe. Papers in Regional Science 91(4): 697–722. , , and .
- 1993. Introduction au numéro spécial sur économie et proximité. Revue d'Economie Régionale et Urbaine 3: 357–361. , , .
- 2005. Proximity and innovation. A critical survey. Regional Studies 39(1): 61–74.
- 1991. Technological change, Uncertainty and Innovation Networks: Towards dynamic theory of economic space. In Innovation networks: Spatial perspectives, ed. R. Camagni , 121–144. London: Belhaven-Pinter.
- 2001. Policies for spatial development. In Territorial outlook, ed. OECD, 147–169, Ch. 6, Paris: OECD. .
- OECD. 2008. Towards a conclusion: Regional and territorial policy recommendations. In Modelling regional scenarios for the enlarged Europe, ed. R. Capello , R. Camagni , U. Fratesi , and B. Chizzolini , 283–306. Berlin: Springer Verlag.
- OECD. 2011. Local Knowledge, National Vision: Challenges and Prospect for the EU Regional Policy, Post-Seminar Publication, Polish Ministry of Regional Development, Ostróda, 18–19 July.
- 2002. Milieux innovateurs and Collective learning: From concepts to measurement. In The emergence of the knowledge economy, ed. Z.J. Acs , H.L.F. de Groot , and P. Nijkamp , 15–46. Berlin: Springer. , and .
- 2009. Knowledge-based economy and knowledge creation: The role of space. In Growth and competitiveness in innovative regions: Balancing internal and external connections, ed. U. Fratesi , and L. Senn , 145–166. Berlin: Springer Verlag. , and .
- 2011. Macroeconomic and territorial policies for regional development: Theory and empirical evidence from the EU. In Endogenous regional development: Perspective, measurement and empirical investigations, ed. B. Stimson , R. Stough , and P. Nijkamp , 204–236. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar. , and .
- Camagni, R. , and D. Maillat , eds. 1995. Milieux innovateurs. Théories et politiques. Paris: Economica.
- 1999. Spatial transfer of knowledge in high-technology milieux: Learning vs. collective learning processes. Regional Studies 33(4): 353–365.
- 2009. Spatial spillovers and regional growth: A cognitive approach. European Planning Studies 17(5): 639–658. .
- 2012. Territorial patterns of innovation. In La città nell'economia della conoscenza, ed. R. Cappellin , F. Ferlaino , and P. Rizzi , 51–79. Milan: Franco Angeli. .
- 2012. Proximities and the intensity of scientific relations: Synergies and non-linearities, Paper presented at the Tinbergen Institute Seminar, Amsterdam, 7–8 May. , and .
- 2012. Territorial patterns of innovation: A taxonomy of innovative regions in Europe. The Annals of Regional Science. Published online, doi:10.1007/s00168-012-0539-8. , and .
- 2003. Networks and technological change in regional clusters. In Innovation clusters in interregional competition, ed. J. Bröcker , D. Dohse , and R. Soltwedel , pp. 53–78. Berlin: Springer Verlag.
- 2009. The knowledge economy, spillovers, proximity and specialization, Brussels: JRC, European Commission, Directoral General for Research, 29–39.
- 1982. Technological paradigms and technological trajectories: A suggested interpretation of the determinants and directions of technical change. Research Policy 11: 147–162.
- EC—Commission of the European Communities. 2010a. Europe 2020. A Strategy for Smart, Suitable and Inclusive Growth, Communication from the Commission, COM(2010)2020.
- EC—Commission of the European Communities. 2010b. Regional Policy Contributing to Smart Growth in Europe, COM(2010)553, Brussels.
- EC—Commission of the European Communities. 2012. Guide to Research and Innovation Strategies for Smart Specialisations (RIS 3), Smart Specialization Platform, May. http://s3platform.jrc.ec.europa.eu/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=a39fd20b-9fbc-402b-be8c-b51d03450946&groupId=10157 (accessed October 2012).
- 2004. The linear model did not exist. reflections on the history and historiography of science and research in industry in the twentieth century. In The science industry nexus, ed. K. Grandin , N. Worms , and S. Widmalm , 31–57. Sagamore Beach: Science History Publications.
- ESPON KIT. 2012. Knowledge, innovation, territory (KIT), Final Report available on line http://www.espon.eu/main/Menu_Projects/Menu_AppliedResearch/kit.html (accessed October 2012).
- 2009. Understanding smart specialisation. In The question of R&D specialisation, ed. D. Pontikakis , D. Kyriakou , and R. Bavel , 19–28. Brussels: JRC, European Commission, Directoral General for Research.
- 2009. Smart specialisation—the concept. Knowledge Economists Policy Brief n. 9, 1–5, Brussels. , , and .
- 2009. Technology and specialization: Strategies, options, risks. Knowledge Economists Policy Brief n. 8, 1–7, Brussels.
- 1967. Aspects of the spatial structure of social communication and the diffusion of innovation. Papers of the Regional Science Association 16: 27–42.
- 1978. Competition as a discovery procedure. In New studies in philosophy, politics, economics and the history of ideas, ed. F. Hayek , 179–190. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.
- 1993. Geographic localization of knowledge spillovers as evidenced by patent citations. The Quarterly Journal of Economics 108(3): 577–598. , , and .
- JRC-Merit. 2009. Regional innovation scoreboard—RIS 2009, Pro Inno Europe Paper n. 14, Entreprise and Industry Magazine, Brussels.
- 1999. Collective learning and knowledge development in the evolution of regional clusters of high-technology SMS in Europe. Regional Studies 33(4): 295–303. , and .
- 2009. How to better diffuse technologies in Europe. Knowledge Economists Policy Brief. n. 7, 1–5, Brussels.
- 1994. The learning economy. Journal of Industry Studies 1(1): 23–42. , and .
- 1987. British science parks: Reflections on the politics of high technology. R&D Management 17(1): 25–37.
- 1980. Corporate organisation of R&D and the location of technological activities. Regional Studies 14(3): 219–234.
- 1992. High tech fantasies: Science parks in society, science and space. London: Routledge. , , and .
- 2011. Smart specialisation, regional growth and applications to EU Cohesion Policy. Document de treball de l'IEB 2011/14, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona. , and .
- 1981. Impulse and diffusion in the study of technological change. Futures 13(5 Special Issue): 347–359.
- 1988. Science parks and the growth of high technology firms. London: Croom Helm. , , , , and .
- 1998. Path of innovation: Technological change in 20th century America. Cambridge, MA: Cambridge University Press. , and .
- 1959. The simple economics of basic scientific research. The Journal of Political Economy 67(3): 297–306.
- 1977. In search of a useful theory of innovation. Research Policy 6: 36–76. , and .
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). 2010. Typology of regional innovation systems. 20th session of the working party on Territorial Indicators.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). 2011. Territorial Outlook, Paris.
- 2009. R&D specialization in Europe: From stylized observations to evidence-based policy. In The question of R&D specialisation, ed. D. Pontikakis , D. Kyriakou , and R. van Bavel , 71–84. Brussels: JRC, European Commission, Directoral General for Research. , , and .
- 1997. The problem of innovatie milieux and territorial structural adjustment policies. In The dynamics of innovative regions—The GREMI approach, ed. R. Ratti , A. Bramanti , and R. Gordon , 343–365. Aldershot: Ashgate. , and .
- Rallet, A. , and A. Torre , eds. 1995. Économie Industrielle et Économie Spatiale, 273–293. Paris: Economica.
- 1996. Regional advantage: Culture and competition in silicon valley and route 128. Boston, MA: Harvard University Press.
- 1998. Public policy measures to support new technology-based firms in the European Union. Research Policy 26(9): 1037–1057. , and .
- 2005. One size fits all? Towards a differentiated regional innovation policy approach. Research Policy 34: 1203–1219. , and .
- 2010. Developing cross-border regional innovation systems: Key factors and challenges. Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geographie (TESG) 101(2): 150–160.
- UNU-Merit. 2010. The regional impact of technological change in 2020. Synthesis Report of Framework Service Contract 150083-2005-02-BE, DG-Regio.