Experimental Sensitivity Analysis of Oxygen Transfer in the Capillary Fringe
Article first published online: 13 FEB 2013
© 2013, National Ground Water Association
Volume 52, Issue 1, pages 37–49, January/February 2014
How to Cite
Haberer, C. M., Cirpka, O. A., Rolle, M. and Grathwohl, P. (2014), Experimental Sensitivity Analysis of Oxygen Transfer in the Capillary Fringe. Ground Water, 52: 37–49. doi: 10.1111/gwat.12028
- Issue published online: 6 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 13 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 30 JUL 2012
- German Research Foundation. Grant Number: GR971/22-1
- 2000. Paleotemperature reconstruction from noble gases in ground water taking into account equilibration with entrapped air. Nature 405, no. 6790: 1040–1044. , , , and .
- 2006. Investigating the role of gas bubble formation and entrapment in contaminated aquifers: Reactive transport modelling. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 87, no. 1–2: 123–154. , and .
- 2006. Physikalische Chemie, 4th ed. Weinheim, Germany: Wiley VCH. , and .
- 2007. Kinetic gas-water transfer and gas accumulation in porous media during pulsed oxygen sparging. Environmental Science and Technology 41, no. 12: 4428–4434. , , , and .
- 1990. Sources and sinks for dissolved oxygen in groundwater in an unconfined sand aquifer, Western Australia. In Geochemistry of Gaseous Elements and Compounds, ed. A. Barto-Kyriakidis and L. Farrel, 353–368. Athens, Greece: Theophrastus Publications. , , and .
- 2004. Impact of the capillary fringe on local flow, chemical migration, and microbiology. Vadose Zone Journal 3, no. 2: 534–548. , , and .
- 1982. Streamline upwind/Petrov-Galerkin formulations for convection dominated flows with particular emphasis on the incompressible Navier–Stokes equations. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 32, no. 1–3: 199–259. , and .
- 1964. Hydraulic properties of porous media. Hydrology paper, Colorado State University, Ft. Collins. , and .
- 1953. Relative permeability calculations from pore-size distribution data. Journal of Petroleum Technology 5, no. 3: 71–78.
- 1983. Magnitude and detailed structure of residual oil saturation. SPEJ Society of Petroleum Engineers Journal 23, no. 2: 311–326. , , and .
- 2010. Evidence of compound dependent hydrodynamic and (hydro)mechanical transverse dispersion with multi-tracer laboratory experiments. Environmental Science and Technology 44, no. 2: 688–693. , , , , and .
- 2001. Transport of volatile compounds in porous media in the presence of a trapped gas phase. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 49, no. 3–4: 263–285. , and .
- 1999. Streamline-oriented grid-generation for transport modeling in two-dimensional domains including wells. Advances in Water Resources 22, no. 7: 697–710. , , and .
- 2011. Biogeochemical Evolution of a Landfill Leachate Plume, Norman, Oklahoma. Ground Water 49, no. 5: 663–687. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Effect of water-table fluctuation on dissolution and biodegradation of a multi-component, light nonaqueous-phase liquid. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 94, no. 3–4: 235–248. , , and .
- 1998. Dissolved gas transport in the presence of a trapped gas phase: experimental evaluation of a two-dimensional kinetic model. Ground Water 36, no. 1: 133–142. , , and .
- 1997. Development and testing of a kinetic model for oxygen transport in porous media in the presence of trapped gas. Ground Water 35, no. 2: 270–279. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Manganese oxidation induced by water table fluctuations in a sand column. Environmental Science and Technology 46, no. 1: 277–284. DOI:10.1021/es2027828 , , and .
- 1979. Groundwater. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Prentice-Hall. , and .
- 1997. Experimental investigations for trapping oxygen gas in saturated porous media for in situ bioremediation. Water Resources Research 33, no. 12: 2687–2696. , , and .
- 1995. Retardation of dissolved oxygen due to a trapped gas phase in porous media. Ground Water 33, no. 3: 391–398. , , , , and .
- 2010. Spatial and temporal variability of dissolved nitrous oxide in near-surface groundwater and bubble-mediated mass transfer to the unsaturated zone. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science 173: 601–609. DOI:10.1002/jpln.200800278 , , , and .
- 2005. Mass transfer between a multicomponent trapped gas phase and a mobile water phase: Experiment and theory. Water Resources Research 41: W11408. DOI:10.1029/2004WR003885 , , and .
- 2012. Oxygen transfer in a fluctuating capillary fringe. Vadose Zone Journal 11, no. 3. DOI:10.2136/vzj2011.0056 , , , and .
- 2011. A high-resolution non-invasive approach to quantify oxygen transport across the capillary fringe and within the underlying groundwater. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 122, no. 1–4: 26–39. , , , , and .
- 1995. Temporal moment-generating equations: modeling transport and mass transfer in heterogeneous aquifers. Water Resources Research 31, no. 8: 1895–1911. DOI:10.1029/95WR01231 , and .
- 1981. “Excess Air” in groundwater. Journal of Hydrology 50: 201–216. , and .
- 1981. Theory of multicomponent, multiphase displacement in porous media. Society of Petroleum Engineers Journal 21, no. 1: 51–62.
- 1998. Analysis of unsaturated/saturated water flow near a fluctuating water table. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 33, no. 1–2: 59–80.
- 2003. Kinetic model of gas bubble dissolution in groundwater and its implications for the dissolved gas composition. Environmental Science and Technology 37, no. 7: 1337–1343. , , , , and .
- 2002. Experimental investigations on the formation of excess air in quasi-saturated porous media. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 66, no. 23: 4103–4117. , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Water and oxygen dependence of Pseudomonas putida growing in silica sand capillary fringes. Vadose Zone Journal 10, no. 2: 532–540. DOI:10.2136/vzj2010.0092 , , and .
- 2002. Transverse vertical dispersion in groundwater and the capillary fringe. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 58, no. 1–2: 111–128. , and .
- 2008. Experimental and numerical studies on excess-air formation in quasi-saturated porous media. Water Resources Research 44, no. 5: W05402. DOI:10.1029/2007WR006280 , , , and .
- 1983. Detection of groundwater contamination by shallow soil gas sampling in the vadose zone. In Proceedings of NWWA/EPA Conference in Characterisation and Monitoring of the Vadose (Unsaturated) Zone, Las Vegas, Nevada, 659–679. , and .
- 1998. Effect of hysteresis on water flow in a sand column with a fluctuating capillary fringe. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 33, no. 1–2: 81–100. , , , , and .
- 2010. Simple analytical solutions for oxygen transfer into anaerobic groundwater. Water Resources Research 46: W10542. DOI:10.1029/2009WR008434 , , and .
- 2011. Role of back diffusion and biodegradation reactions in sustaining an MTBE/TBA plume in alluvial media. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 126, no. 3–4: 235–247. , , , , , and .
- 1993. Transport of volatile organic compounds across the capillary fringe. Water Resources Research 29, no. 6: 1675–1683. , and .
- 2008. Interplay between oxygen demand reactions and kinetic gas-water transfer in porous media. Water Research 42, no. 14: 3579–3590. , , , and .
- 2012. Experimental investigation and pore-scale modeling interpretation of compound-specific transverse dispersion in porous media. Transport in Porous Media 93, no. 3: 347–362. , , , , and .
- 2012. Dynamic oxygen mapping in the root zone by fluorescence dye imaging combined with neutron radiography. Journal of Soils and Sediments 12: 63–74. , , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Field and modeling evidence for a “stagnant flow” zone in the upper meter of sandy phreatic aquifers. Journal of Hydrology 233: 223–240. , , , and .
- 2009. Dynamics of Water Movement near Boundaries of the Vadose Zone. Dissertation, Ruperto-Carola University of Heidelberg, Germany, 158.
- 1998. Effects of a fluctuating water table: column study on redox dynamics and fate of some organic pollutants. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 33, no. 1–2: 231–246. , , and .
- 1995. Coolig of tropical Brazil (5°C) during the last glacial maximum. Science 269, no. 5222: 379–383. , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Review of field methods for the determination of the tortuosity and effective gas-phase diffusivity in the Vadose zone. Vadose Zone Journal 3, no. 4: 1240–1248. , , and .
- 2002. The influence of water table fluctuations on the volatilization of contaminants from groundwater. In Groundwater Quality: Natural and Enhanced Restoration of Groundwater Pollution (Proceedings of the Groundwater Quality 2001 Conference), June 2001, Sheffield, UK, ed. S.F. Thornton and S.E. Oswald. IAHS Publications 275: 213–218. , and .
- 2000. Oxygenation of anoxic water in a fluctuating water table system: An experimental and numerical study. Journal of Hydrology 230: 70–85. , and .
- 2011. An overview of biodegradation of LNAPLs in coastal (semi)-arid environment. Water Air Soil Pollution 220, no. 1–4: 225–239. , and .
- 2003. Degassing water around air bubbles entrapped in the vadose zone as a mechanism of carbonate precipitation – A hypothesis. Journal of Sedimentary Research 73, no. 4: 491–497.