Detecting Drawdowns Masked by Environmental Stresses with Water-Level Models
Version of Record online: 7 MAR 2013
Published 2013. This article is a U.S. Government work and is in the public domain in the USA
Volume 51, Issue 3, pages 322–332, May/June 2013
How to Cite
Garcia, C.A., Halford, K.J. and Fenelon, J.M. (2013), Detecting Drawdowns Masked by Environmental Stresses with Water-Level Models. Groundwater, 51: 322–332. doi: 10.1111/gwat.12042
- Issue online: 23 APR 2013
- Version of Record online: 7 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 24 JUL 2012
- ASCE Task Committee on Artificial Neural Networks in Hydrology. 2000. Artificial neural networks in hydrology: II. Hydrologic applications. Journal of Hydrological Engineering 5, no. 2: 115–123. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0699(2000)5:2(124), accessed February 12, 2013.
- Bechtel Nevada. 2002. A hydrostratigraphic model and alternatives for the groundwater flow and contaminant transport model of Corrective Action Units 101 and 102—Central and western Pahute Mesa, Nye County, Nevada. U.S. Department of Energy Report DOE/NV/11718–706.
- 1973. Geohydrology of the eastern part of Pahute Mesa, Nevada Test Site, Nye County, NV. U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 712-B. Reston, Virginia. http://pubs.usgs.gov/ pp/0712b/report.pdf, accessed February 12, 2013. , and .
- 2011. Prediction of well levels in the alluvial aquifer along the Lower Missouri River. Ground Water. 50: 571–577. doi: 10.1111/j.1745-6584.2011.00877.x , and .
- 2008. PEST, model independent parameter estimation user manual, 5th ed. Brisbane, Australia: Watermark Numerical Computing.
- 2010. Database of groundwater levels and hydrograph descriptions for the Nevada Test Site area, Nye County, Nevada. U.S. Geological Survey Data Series 533. Reston, Virginia. http://pubs.usgs.gov/ds/533/. , and .
- 1991. The effect of tidal fluctuation on a coastal aquifer in the UK. Ground Water 29: 556–562. DOI:10.1111/j.1745-6584.1991.tb00547.x.
- 2000. Quality assurance and analysis of water levels in wells on Pahute Mesa and vicinity, Nevada Test Site, Nye County, Nevada. U.S. Geological Survey Water-Resources Investigations Report 00-4014. Reston, Virginia. http://pubs.usgs.gov/wri/WRIR00-4014/, accessed February 12, 2013.
- 2010. Groundwater flow systems at the Nevada Test Site, Nevada: A synthesis of potentiometric contours, hydrostratigraphy, and geologic structures. U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 1771. Reston, Virginia. http://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/1771/, accessed February 12, 2013. , , and .
- 2011. Analysis of complex pumping interactions during an aquifer test conducted at a well field in the coastal plain near Augusta, Georgia, October 2009. In Proceedings of the 2011 Georgia Water Resources Conference, April 11–13.
- 2000. Simulation and interpretation of borehole flowmeter results under laminar and turbulent flow conditions. In Seventh International Symposium on Logging for Minerals and Geotechnical Applications, 157–168, Golden, Colorado, October 24–26.
- 2006. Documentation of a spreadsheet for time-series analysis and drawdown estimation. U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2006-5024. Reston, Virginia. http://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2006/5024/PDF/SIR2006-5024.pdf, accessed February 12, 2013.
- 2012. Advanced methods for modeling water-wevels and estimating drawdowns with SeriesSEE, an Excel add-In. U.S. Geological Survey Techniques and Methods Report, 4-F4. Reston, Virginia: USGS. , , , and .
- 2010. Aquifer-test package—Analysis of ER-20-7 multi-well aquifer test, Pahute Mesa, Nevada National Security Site. U.S. Geological Survey aquifer-test package. Reston, Virginia. http://nevada.usgs.gov/water/AquiferTests/er_wells.cfm?studyname=er_wells, accessed February 12, 2013. , , and .
- 2006. Estimating hydraulic properties using a moving-model approach and multiple aquifer tests. Ground Water 44, no. 2: 284–291. , and .
- 2005. MODFLOW-2005, the U.S. Geological Survey modular ground-water model—the ground-water flow process. U.S. Geological Survey Techniques and Methods 6-A16. Reston, Virginia: USGS.
- 2011. Identification of pumping influences in long-term water level fluctuations. Ground Water 49: 403–414. DOI:10.1111/j.1745-6584.2010.00725.x. , and
- 1971. New Computer Programs for the Calculation of Earth Tides. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration/University of Colorado, Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences.
- 2002. User's guide to model viewer, a program for three-dimensional visualization of ground-water model results. U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 02-106. Reston, Virginia: USGS. , and .
- 1996. Summary of hydrogeologic controls on ground-water flow at the Nevada Test Site. U.S. Geological Survey Water-Resources Investigations Report 96-4109. Reston, Virginia: USGS. http://pubs.usgs.gov/wri/wri964109/. , , , and .
- 2001. The Silent Canyon Caldera—A three-dimensional model as part of a Pahute Mesa—Oasis Valley, Nevada, hydrogeologic model. U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 01-297. Reston, Virginia: USGS. , , and .
- National Security Technologies, LLC. 2010. Completion report for the well ER-20-7, Correction Action Units 101 and 102--central and western Pahute Mesa. U.S. Department of Energy Report DOE/NV—1386. http://www.osti.gov/bridge/servlets/purl/977585-iAFob0/, accessed February 12, 2013.
- 2012. Using recovery data to extend the effective duration of pumping tests. Ground Water. 50: 804–807. DOI: 10.1111/j.1745-6584.2011.00906.x , and
- 1998 Hydrogeology and simulation of the effects of reclaimed-water application in west Orange and southeast Lake Counties, Florida. U.S. Geological Survey Water-Resources Investigations Report 97-4199. Reston, Virginia: USGS.
- 1997. Nature and extent of lava-flow aquifers beneath Pahute Mesa, Nevada Test Site. Bechtel Nevada, Technical Report DOE/NV-11718-156. http://www.osti.gov/bridge/servlets/purl/653925-rNXun6/webviewable/, accessed February 12, 2013. , and .
- 1997. Identifying and removing barometric pressure effects in confined and unconfined aquifers. Ground Water 35, no. 3: 502–511. , and .
- 2003. Aquifer tests and simulation of ground-water flow in Triassic sedimentary rocks near Colmar, Bucks and Montgomery Counties, Pennsylvania. U.S. Geological Survey Water-Resources Investigations Report 2003-4159. Reston, Virginia: USGS. , and .
- 1971. Aquifer-Test Design, Observation, and Data Analysis. USGS Techniques of Water-Resources Investigations, Book 3, Chapter B1.
- 1935. The relation between the lowering of the piezometric surface and the rate and duration of discharge of a well using groundwater storage. American Geophysical Union Transactions 16: 519–524.
- 2007. Removal of barometric pressure effects and earth tides from observed water levels. Ground Water 45, no. 1: 101–105. , and .
- U.S. Geological Survey National Water Information System. http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/, accessed February 12, 2013.
- 2000. A structural block model for the three-dimensional geology of the Southwestern Nevada Volcanic Field. Los Alamos National Laboratory Report LA-UR-00-5866. , , and .