Constraints on Upward Migration of Hydraulic Fracturing Fluid and Brine
Article first published online: 29 JUL 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Groundwater published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc. on behalf of National Ground Water Association
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 52, Issue 1, pages 9–19, January/February 2014
How to Cite
Flewelling, S. A. and Sharma, M. (2014), Constraints on Upward Migration of Hydraulic Fracturing Fluid and Brine. Groundwater, 52: 9–19. doi: 10.1111/gwat.12095
- Issue published online: 6 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 29 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 5 FEB 2013
- 2004. Coupled fluid flow, heat and mass transport, and erosion in the Alberta basin: Implications for the origin of the Athabasca oil sands. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences 41, no. 9: 1077–1095. , , and .
- 1950. Introduction to petrophysics of reservoir rock. AAPG Bulletin 34, no. 5: 943–961.
- 1993. Subsurface stratigraphic analysis of upper cretaceous rocks, southeastern flank of the Williston Basin, North and South Dakota. USGS Open-File Report 93-335, 22p. Reston, Virginia: USGS. , and .
- 1990. Calculated volume and pressure changes during the thermal cracking of oil to gas in reservoirs. AAPG Bulletin 74, no. 8: 1254–1261.
- 1983. Deep brine aquifers in the Palo Duro Basin: Regional flow and geochemical constraints. Report of Investigations No. 130. Austin, Texas: University of Texas at Austin, Bureau of Economic Geology. , and .
- 1992. Seismic properties of pore fluids. Geophysics 57, no. 11: 1396–1408. , and .
- 1973. High fluid potentials in California coast ranges and their tectonic significance. AAPG Bulletin 57, no. 7: 1219–1249.
- 1986. Inverse hydrologic analysis of the distribution and origin of Gulf Coast-type geopressured zones. Journal of Geophysical Research 91, no. B6: 6535–6545.
- 1989. Modeling subsurface flow in sedimentary basins. Geologische Rundschau 78, no. 1: 129–154.
- 1992. Requirements and use of indirect methods for estimating the hydraulic functions of unsaturated soils. In Indirect Methods for Estimating the Hydraulic Properties of Unsaturated Soils. Proceedings of the International Workshop, eds. M.Th. van Genuchten, F.J. Leij, and L.J. Lund, 359–368. Riverside, California: University of California. , , and .
- 2003. Hydrodynamics of sedimentary basins. In Encyclopedia of Physical Science and Technology, 3rd ed., ed. R.A. Meters, 471–488. Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Elsevier Science Ltd.
- 1964. Hydraulic properties of porous media. Fort Collins, Colorado: Colorado State University. , and .
- 1978. Trends in relationships between measured in-situ stresses and depth. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences 15, no. 4: 211–215. , and .
- 2011. A comparative study of the Mississippian Barnett Shale, Fort Worth Basin, and Devonian Marcellus Shale, Appalachian Basin. Report to US Dept. of Energy (US DOE), National Technology Laboratory. DOE/NETL-2011/1478, 118 p. Albany, OR: US DOE. , and .
- 1999. Permeability anisotropy of consolidated clays. In Muds and Mudstones: Physical and Fluid-Flow Properties, Vol. 158, eds. A.C. Aplin, A.J. Fleet, and J.H.S. MacQuaker, 79–96. London: Geological Society. , , , and .
- 2013. Potential contaminant pathways from hydraulically fractured shale aquifers (Letter). Ground Water. DOI: 10.1111/gwat.12015 , , .
- 1990a. Origin and evolution of formation waters, Alberta Basin, Western Canada Sedimentary Basin. II. Isotope systematics and water mixing. Applied Geochemistry 5, no. 4: 397–413. , , , and .
- 1990b. Origin and evolution of formation waters, Alberta Basin, Western Canada sedimentary Basin. I. Chemistry. Applied Geochemistry 5, no. 4: 375–395. , , , and .
- 1992. Disequilibrium fluid pressures and groundwater flow in the Western Canada sedimentary basin. Journal of Geophysical Research 97, no. B5: 7203–7217. , and .
- 2012. Hydraulic fractures: How far can they go? Marine and Petroleum Geology 37, no. 1: 1–6. , , , , and .
- 1994a. Factors necessary to define a pressure seal. AAPG Bulletin 78, no. 6: 1005–1009.
- 1994b. Fluid flow and heat transport in the upper continental crust, Vol. 78, 27–42. London: Geological Society.
- 1987. Numerical estimation of effective hydraulic conductivity in sand-shale formations. Water Resources Research 23, no. 2: 273–286.
- 1956. Geological aspects of abnormal reservoir pressures in Gulf Coast, Louisiana. AAPG Bulletin 37, no. 2: 410–432.
- 2012. Baseline groundwater quality in national park units within the Marcellus and Utica Shale Gas Plays, New York, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia, 2011. USGS Open-File Report 2012–1150, 30p. Reston, Virginia: USGS. , and .
- 2012. Capillary tension and imbibition sequester frack fluid in Marcellus gas shale (Letter). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 105, no. 52: E3625.
- 1993. Stress regimes in the lithosphere. Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press.
- 2008. Marcellus Shale play's vast resource potential creating stir in Appalachia. American Oil and Gas Reporter, 7p. , and . May
- 2011. Hydraulic fracture-height growth: Real data. In SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, SPE 145949, October 30–November 2, 2011, Denver, Colorado. , and .
- 1979. Groundwater. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, Inc. , and .
- 1967. Theoretical analysis of regional groundwater flow: 2. Effect of water-table configuration and subsurface permeability variation. Water Resources Research 3, no. 2: 623–634. , and .
- 2010. Natural fractures in some US shales and their importance for gas production. Petroleum Geology Conference 7: 1131–1140. , and .
- 1995. Continental-scale groundwater flow and geologic processes. Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Sciences 23: 89–117.
- 1993. Genesis of stratabound ore deposits in the midcontinent basins of North America. 1. The role of regional groundwater flow. American Journal of Science 293, no. 6: 497–568. , , , and .
- 1980. A closed-form equation for predicting the hydraulic conductivity of unsaturated soils. Soil Science Society of America Journal 44, no. 5: 892–898.
- 1986. Dependence of effective porosity on fracture continuity in fractured media. Ground Water 24, no. 4: 446–452.
- 1983. Fifty years of development of thought on the origin and evolution of subsurface sedimentary brines. In Revolution in the Earth Sciences: Advances in the Past Half-Century, ed. S.J. Boardman, 99–111. Dubuque, Iowa: Kendall/Hunt.
- 2007. Geologic origins of salinization in a semi-arid river: The role of sedimentary basin brines. Geology 35, no. 12: 1063–1066. , , , , , and .
- 1996. Water, gas and solute movement through argillaceous media. Paris, France: Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). , , , .
- 1990. Generation and migration of petroleum from abnormally pressured fluid compartments. AAPG Bulletin 74, no. 1: 1–12.
- 1996. Analysis of regional aquifers in the central Midwest of the United States in Kansas, Nebraska, and parts of Arkansas, Colorado, Missouri, New Mexico, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas, and Wyoming—summary. USGS Professional Paper 1414-A. Reston, Virginia: USGS. , , , , , .
- 1978. Stratigraphic Sections of Cretaceous Rocks of the Northern Denver Basin, Northeastern Colorado and Southeastern Wyoming. USGS Oil and Gas Investigations Chart OC-78. http://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/oc78 (accessed October 22, 2012). .
- 1989. Hydrogeology of sedimentary basins. Journal of Hydrology 106, no. 1–2: 29–53.
- 2001. Permeability of Wilcox shale and its effective pressure law. Journal of Geophysical Research 106, no. 139: 19339–19353. , , , and .
- 2006. MODFLOW/MT3DMS-based simulation of variable-density ground water flow and transport. Ground Water 44, no. 3: 339–351. , and .
- 1998. Abnormal pressure in hydrocarbon environments. AAPG Memoir 70. In Abnormal Pressures in Hydrocarbon Environments, ed. B.E. Law, G.F. Ulmishek, and V.I. Slavin, 1–11. Tulsa, Oklahoma: American Association of Petroleum Geologists. , and .
- 1999. Linking stress-dependent effective porosity and hydraulic conductivity fields to RMR. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences 36, no. 5: 581–596. , , and .
- 2008. The Sedimentary Basins of the United States and Canada, Vol. 5, Sedimentary Basins of the World. Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Elsevier.
- 1996. Parameter equivalence for the Brooks-Corey and van Genuchten soils characteristics: Preserving the effective capillary drive. Water Resources Research 32, no. 5: 1252–1258. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Potential contaminant pathways from hydraulically fractured shale to aquifers. Ground Water 50, no. 6: 872–882. DOI:10.1111/j.1745-6584.2012.00933.x.
- 1977. The morphology of dispersed clay in sandstone reservoirs and its effect on sandstone shaliness, pore space and fluid flow properties. In SPE Annual Fall Technical Conference and Exhibition, SPE 6858-MS, October 9–12, 1977, Denver, Colorado.
- 1986. Groundwater flow in low-permeability environments. Water Resources Research 22, no. 8: 1163–1195.
- 1990. Time-dependent hydraulics of the Earth's crust. In Role of Fluids in Crustal Processes, ed. J. Bredehoeft, and D. Norton, 113–127. Washington, DC: National Academy Press. , and .
- 1990. The role of bound water and capillary water in the evaluation of porosity in reservoir rocks. In Advances in Core Evaluation: Accuracy and Precision in Reserves Estimation, Reviewed Proceedings of the First Society of Core Analysts European Core Analysis Symposium, May 21–23, 1990, ed. P.F. Worthington, 223–237. London: Gordon & Breach Publishing Group. , and .
- 1995. A physical model of cementation and its effects on single-phase permeability. AAPG Bulletin 79, no. 3: 431–443. , and .
- 1980. Abnormally high fluid pressure: Survey of some basic principles. AAPG Bulletin 64: 414–430.
- 2011. TOUGH2 Users Guide (version 2) (Revised). Report no LBNL-43134. Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA. , , and .
- 2006. Burial and thermal history of the central appalachian basin, based on three 2-D models of Ohio, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia. USGS Open-File Report 2006–1019. Reston, Virginia: USGS.
- 2012. Water pollution risk associated with natural gas extraction from the Marcellus Shale. Risk Analysis 32, no. 8: 1382–1393. DOI:10.1111/j.1539-6924.2011.01757.x. , and .
- 2012. Geologic cross-section C-C' through the Appalachian Basin from Erie County, North-Central Ohio, to the Valley and Ridge Province, Bedford County, South-Central Pennsylvania. USGS Scientific Investigations Map 3172. Reston, Virginia: USGS. , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Geologic cross-section D-D' through the Appalachian Basin from the Findlay Arch, Sandusky County, Ohio, to the Valley and Ridge Province, Hardy County, West Virginia. USGS Scientific Investigations Map 3067. Reston, Virginia: USGS. , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Geologic cross-section E-E' through the Appalachian basin from the Findlay Arch, Wood County, Ohio, to the Valley and Ridge Province, Pendelton County, West Virginia. USGS Scientific Investigations Map 2985. Reston, Virginia: USGS. , , , and .
- 1962. Geology of the Williston Basin, North Dakota, Montana, and South Dakota, with reference to subsurface disposal of radioactive wastes. TEI-809; 62–115. Washington, DC: USGS.
- 2012. Potential contaminant pathways from hydraulically fractured shale aquifers, by T. Myers (Comment). Ground Water 50, no. 6: 826–828. , and .
- 1987. Regional underpressuring in deep brine aquifers, Palo Duro Basin, Texas. 1. Effects of hydrostratigraphy and topography. Water Resources Research 23, no. 8: 1481–1493. , and .
- 1987. Effects of hydrostratigraphy and basin development on hydrodynamics of the Palo Duro Basin, Texas. Report of Investigations No. 165. Austin, Texas: University of Texas at Austin, Bureau of Economic Geology. , , and .
- 1994. A theory for in situ stresses in isotropic and transverseley isotropic rock. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences 31, no. 1: 23–34.
- 1991. Origin and chemical evolution of formation waters from Silurian-Devonian strata in the Illinois basin, USA. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 55, no. 1: 309–325. , and .
- 1998. Mechanisms that generate abnormal pressures: An overview. AAPG Memoir 70. In Abnormal Pressures in Hydrocarbon Environments, eds. B.E. Law, G.F. Ulmishek, and V.I. Slavin, 13–34. Tulsa, Oklahoma: American Association of Petroleum Geologists. , and .
- 2009. Regional stratigraphy and petroleum systems of the Illinois Basin, U.S.A. USGS Scientific Investigations Map 3068. Reston, Virginia: USGS.
- 2008. Regional stratigraphy and petroleum systems of the Michigan Basin, North America. USGS Scientific Investigations Map 2978. Reston, Virginia: USGS.
- 2007. Topography-driven flow versus buoyancy-driven flow in the U.S. midcontinent: Implications for the residence time of brines. Geofluids 7, no. 1: 69–79. , and .
- 1963. A theoretical analysis of groundwater flow in small drainage basins. Journal of Geophysical Research 68, no. 16: 4795–4812.
- 1962. A theory of groundwater motion in small drainage basins in central Alberta, Canada. Journal of Geophysical Research 67, no. 11: 4375–4387.
- 1983. Possible effects of erosional changes of the topographic relief on pore pressures at depth. Water Resources Research 19, no. 6: 1585–1597. , and .
- 2012. Geochemical evidence for possible natural migration of Marcellus Formation brine to shallow aquifers in Pennsylvania. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 109, no. 30: 11961–11966. , , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Estimated mean annual natural ground-water recharge in the conterminous United States. USGS Open-File Report 03-311. Reston, Virginia: USGS.