S.F. Thornton, corresponding author, is at Groundwater Protection and Restoration Group, Department of Civil & Structural Engineering, University of Sheffield, Sheffield S1 3JD, UK; email@example.com.
Cutting-Edge Technical Papers
Comparison of Constant and Transient-Source Zones on Simulated Contaminant Plume Evolution in Groundwater: Implications for Hydrogeological Risk Assessment
Article first published online: 5 MAR 2013
© 2013, National Ground Water Association
Groundwater Monitoring & Remediation
Volume 33, Issue 3, pages 78–91, Summer 2013
How to Cite
Thornton, S. F., Tobin, K. and Smith, J. W. N. (2013), Comparison of Constant and Transient-Source Zones on Simulated Contaminant Plume Evolution in Groundwater: Implications for Hydrogeological Risk Assessment. Groundwater Monitoring & Remediation, 33: 78–91. doi: 10.1111/gwmr.12008
- Issue published online: 9 AUG 2013
- Article first published online: 5 MAR 2013
- 1997. The physical properties of major aquifers in England and Wales. British Geological Survey Technical Report WD/97/34 333. , , , , , , , and .
- 1984. Solubility of organic mixtures in water. Environmental Science and Technology 18: 587–591.
- 2011. Applying sustainable development principles to contaminated land management using the SuRF-UK framework. Remediation 22: 77–100. DOI: 10.1002/rem.20283. , , , , , , and .
- 1992. Evaluation of groundwater extraction for remediation of petroleum-contaminated aquifers. Water Environment Research 64: 28–36. , and .
- CL:AIRE. 2010. A framework for assessing the sustainability of soil and groundwater remediation. SuRF-UK report.London: CL:AIRE. www.claire.co.uk/surfuk. (accessed January 29, 2013)
- 2011. An analysis of the environmental sensitivity of retail filling station locations across Europe. Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology & Hydrogeology 44: 307–319. , , , , and .
- 1987. An analytical model for multidimensional transport of a decaying contaminant species. Journal of Hydrology 91: 49–58.
- Environment Agency. 2010. How to comply with your environmental permit Additional guidance: H1 Environmental Risk Assessment–annex j. http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/. (accessed January 29, 2013)
- Environment Agency. 2006. Remedial targets methodology: hydrogeological risk assessment for land contamination. Environment Agency R&D Publication 20, Bristol: EA.
- Environment Agency. 2005. ConSim release 2. Contamination impacts on groundwater simulation by Monte Carlo method. R&D Publication 132, Nottingham: Golder Associates (UK) Ltd.
- Environment Agency. 2002. The effects of contaminant concentration on the potential for natural attenuation. Environment Agency R&D Technical Report P2-228/TR, Bristol: EA.
- Environment Agency. 2001. Guide to good practice for the development of conceptual models and the selection and application of mathematical models of contaminant transport processes in the subsurface. National Groundwater and Contaminated Land Centre report NC/99/38/2, Solihull.
- Environment Agency. 2000. Guidance on the assessment and monitoring of natural attenuation of contaminants in groundwater. Environment Agency R&D Publication 95: Bristol: EA.
- 2011. Oxygenated gasoline release in the unsaturated zone—Part 1: Source zone behaviour. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 126: 153–166. , and .
- 2005. Redistribution of contaminants by a fluctuating water table in a micro-porous, double-porosity aquifer: Field observations and model simulations. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 78: 27–52. , , , and .
- 1999. The dissolution of benzene, toluene, m-xylene and naphthalene from a residually trapped non-aqueous phase liquid under mass transfer limited conditions. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 36: 313–331. , and .
- 1993. Mass transfer from non-aqueous phase organic liquids in water-saturated porous media. Water Resources Research 29: 833–845. , and .
- GSI Environmental Inc. 2011. RBCA Toolkit for Chemical Releases, v2.6., Austin, Texas: GSI.
- 1997. Selection of representative TPH fractions based on fate and transport considerations. Total Petroleum Hydrocarbon Criteria Working Group Series. Vol. 3, 109. Amherst. Amherst Scientific Publishers: Massachusetts. , , , and .
- 2003. Characterization of LNAPL in fractured rock. Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology 36: 343–354. , , and .
- 1980. Evidence for a shallow highly permeable zone in the Chalk of Hampshire, UK. Journal of Hydrology 55: 93–112. , , and .
- 2002. Persistence of LNAPL sources: Relationship between risk reduction and LNAPL recovery. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 59: 3–26. , and .
- ITRC. 2009a. Evaluating natural source zone depletion at sites with LNAPL. The Interstate Technology & Regulatory Council, LNAPLs Team, 76.
- ITRC. 2009b. Evaluating LNAPL remedial technologies for achieving project goals. The Interstate Technology & Regulatory Council, LNAPLs Team, 144.
- 2005. Comparison of field-observed and model-predicted plume trends at fuel-contaminated sites: Implications for natural attenuation rates. Journal of Environmental Monitoring 7: 1099–1104. , , , and .
- 1991. Dissolution of non-aqueous phase liquids in groundwater. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 8: 23–42. , , , and .
- 1990. A review of immiscible fluids in the subsurface: Properties, models, characterization and remediation. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 6: 107–163. , and .
- 2012. Multicomponent NAPL source dissolution: Evaluation of mass-transfer co-efficients. Environmental Science and Technology 46, no. 18: 10047–10054. DOI: 10.1021/es301076p. , , and .
- 1996. BIOSCREEN natural attenuation decision support system user's manual version 1.3, EPA/600/R-96/087. , , and .
- 1961. A solution of the differential equation of longitudinal dispersion in porous media. U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 411-A. , and .
- 2005. Petroleum Microbiology. ASM Press: Washington, DC. , and .
- 2001. Predicting the effect of hydrocarbon and hydrocarbon-impacted soil on groundwater. API Bulletin Number 14. , , and .
- 2008. Dissolved plume attenuation with DNAPL source remediation, aqueous decay and volatilization—Analytical solution, model calibration and prediction uncertainty. Journal of Contaminant Hydrogeology 102: 61–71. , , and .
- 2000. Relative depletion rates of MTBE, benzene, and xylene from smear zone NAPL. Proceedings of Petroleum Hydrocarbons and Organic Chemicals in Ground Water: Prevention, Detection and Remediation Conference, Anaheim, CA., 207 – 212. Westerville, OH: National Ground Water Association. http://info.ngwa.org/gwol/pdf/002669437.pdf. (accessed January 29, 2013) .
- 1998. Total petroleum hydrocarbon criteria working group series report 2: Composition of petroleum mixtures. The Association for Environmental Health and Science. , and .
- 1994. An experimental investigation of non aqueous phase liquid dissolution in saturated subsurface systems: Transient mass transfer rates. Water Resources Research 30: 321–332. , , and .
- 1993. The Chalk as an aquifer. In The Hydrogeology of the Chalk of Northwest Europe, ed. R.A. Downing, M. Price and G.P. Jones. 35–58. Clarendon Press: Oxford. , , and .
- 2011. Review of unsaturated-zone transport and attenuation of volatile organic compound (VOC) plumes leached from shallow source zones. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 123: 130–156. , , , and .
- 2000. Dissolution of MTBE from a residually trapped gasoline source. API Research Bulletin No. 13, 10. http://www.api.org/environment-health-and-safety/clean-water/ ground-water/bulletins.aspx. (accessed January 29, 2013) , and .
- 2009. Biodegradation potential of MTBE in a fractured chalk aquifer under aerobic conditions in long-term uncontaminated and contaminated aquifer microcosms. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 103: 119–133. , , , and .
- 2006. Assessing the risks to groundwater from contaminated soils. Soil Use and Management 21: 518–526.
- 2005. Hydrochemical and isotopic effects associated with petroleum fuel biodegradation pathways in a chalk aquifer. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 79: 67–88. , , , , and .
- 2001. Natural attenuation of MTBE in a dual porosity aquifer, Sixth International In Situ and On Site Bioremediation Symposium; San Diego. CA, USA 59–66. , , and .
- 1999. Natural Attenuation of Fuels and Chlorinated Solvents in the Subsurface. John Wiley & Sons. , , , and .
- 2006. Sampling in the smear zone: evaluation of non-dissolved bias and associated BTEX, MTBE, and TPH concentrations in ground water sample. Ground Water Monitoring & Remediation 26: 125–133.