Cutting-Edge Technical Papers
Nature and Estimated Human Toxicity of Polar Metabolite Mixtures in Groundwater Quantified as TPHd/DRO at Biodegrading Fuel Release Sites
Article first published online: 20 SEP 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Groundwater Monitoring & Remediation published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc. on behalf of National Ground Water Association
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Groundwater Monitoring & Remediation
Volume 33, Issue 4, pages 44–56, Fall 2013
How to Cite
Zemo, D. A., O'Reilly, K. T., Mohler, R. E., Tiwary, A. K., Magaw, R. I. and Synowiec, K. A. (2013), Nature and Estimated Human Toxicity of Polar Metabolite Mixtures in Groundwater Quantified as TPHd/DRO at Biodegrading Fuel Release Sites. Groundwater Monitoring & Remediation, 33: 44–56. doi: 10.1111/gwmr.12030
- Issue published online: 18 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 20 SEP 2013
- 2004. Determination of alkylbenzene metabolites in groundwater by solid-phase extraction and liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Journal of Chromatography A 1042: 89–97. , , and .
- 1981. Microbial degradation of petroleum hydrocarbons: An environmental perspective. Microbiological Review 45: 180–209.
- 1995. Organic acid derivatization techniques applied to petroleum hydrocarbon transformations in subsurface environments. Ground Water Monitoring & Remediation 15: 114–124. , , and .
- 2002. Analysis of benzylsuccinates in groundwater by liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry and its use for monitoring in situ BTEX biodegradation. Environmental Science and Technology 36: 2724–2728.
- 1995. Byproducts of anaerobic alkylbenzene metabolism useful as indicators of in situ bioremediation. Environmental Science and Technology 29: 2864–2870. , , and .
- 2006. Comparison of mechanisms of alkane metabolism under sulfate-reducing conditions among two bacterial isolates and a bacterial consortium. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 72: 4274–4282. , , , , and .
- 2005. Hyroxylation and carboxylation—two crucial steps of anaerobic benzene degradation by Dechloromonas strain RCB. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 71: 5427–5432. , and .
- 1995. Fate of microbial metabolites of hydrocarbons in a coastal plain aquifer: The role of electron acceptors. Environmental Science and Technology 29: 458–469. , , and .
- 1994. The geochemical evolution of low-molecular-weight organic acids derived from the degradation of petroleum contaminants in groundwater. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 58: 863–877. , , , and .
- 1988. Soil Chemistry of Hazardous Materials. Hazardous Materials Control Research Institute: Silver Springs, Maryland.
- 2009. Assessing in situ rates of anaerobic hydrocarbon bioremediation. Microbial Biotechnology 2: 222–233. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Combined application of stable carbon isotope analysis and specific metabolites determination for assessing in situ degradation of aromatic hydrocarbons in a tar oil-contaminated aquifer. Environmental Science and Technology 38: 617–631. , , , , and .
- 2007. Polar material in TPH-contaminated groundwater: New insights into biogeochemical processes and implications for fate and transport. In Abstract for Platform Presentation, Abstract Book of the 17th Annual AEHS West Coast Conference on Soils, Sediments and Water. Association for Environmental Heath and Sciences: Amherst, Massachusetts. , , , and .
- 2003. Motor gasoline. In Fuels and Lubricants Handbook: Technology, Properties, Performance and Testing, ed. G.E. Totten. 61–88. ASTM International: West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania. , and .
- 1999. Petroleum biodegradation in marine environments. Journal of Molecular Microbiology and Biotechnology 1: 63–70. , , , and .
- 1980. Methanogenic decomposition of ferulic acid a model lignin derivative. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 39: 436–444. , , and .
- 2012. Nontargeted comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography/time-of-flight mass spectrometry method and software for inventorying persistent and bioaccumulative contaminants in marine environments. Environmental Science and Technology 46: 8001–8008. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Polar compounds from the dissolution of weathered diesel. Ground Water Monitoring & Remediation 29: 85–93. , , , , , and .
- 1995. Biodegradation studies of hydrocarbons in soils by analyzing metabolites formed. Chemosphere 30: 855–868. , and .
- 2004. Total petroleum hydrocarbons in groundwater—evaluation of nondissolved and nonhydrocarbon fractions. Environmental Forensics 5: 85–95. , and .
- 2009. Combining HPLC-GCXGC, GCXGC/ToF-MS, and selected ecotoxicity assays for detailed monitoring of petroleum hydrocarbon degradation in soil and leaching water. Environmental Science and Technology 43: 7651–7657. , , , , , , and .
- 2012. Multidimensional gas chromatography. Trends in Analytical Chemistry 34: 1–21. , , , , and .
- 2003. Formation of alkylated aromatic acids in groundwater by anaerobic degradation of alkylbenzenes. Science of the Total Environment 307: 19–33. , and .
- 2005. Analysis of anaerobic BTX biodegradation in a subarctic aquifer using isotopes and benzylsuccinates. The Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 81: 167–186. , , , , and .
- Non-targeted analysis of petroleum metabolites in groundwater using GCxGC-TOFMS. Environmental Science & Technology. In press. DOI: 10.1021es401706m , K.T. O'Reilly, , , , and .
- 2003. Comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry 376: 295–297. , and .
- 2003. Aviation fuels. In Fuels and Lubricants Handbook: Technology, Properties, Performance and Testing, ed. G.E. Totten. 89–114. ASTM International: West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania.
- Texas Commission on Environmental Quality. 2012. Texas Risk Reduction Program protective concentration levels. http://www.tceq.texas.gov/remediation/trrp/trrppcls.html.
- 2013. Reference dose (RfD)-based chronic human health hazard ranking system for complex mixtures—Assessment of polar nonhydrocarbons in groundwater at biodegrading petroleum sites. In Abstract and Poster Presented at the 52nd Annual Meeting of the Society of Toxicology, March 2013. The Toxicologist, 132, no. 1: 121. http://www.toxicology.org/AI/PUB/Tox/2013Tox.pdf , , , , , K.A. O'Reilly.
- 1998. Increase success of assessments at petroleum sites in 5 steps. Soil & Groundwater Cleanup Dec/Jan: 13–19. , , and .
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 1989. Risk Assessment Guidance for Superfund, Volume 1, Human Health Evaluation Manual, Part 1, Interim Final. OERR: Washington, D.C..
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 1999. Use of monitored natural attenuation at Superfund. RCRA corrective action, and underground storage tank sites. Final Directive 9200.4-17P. , no. April.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 2008a. Screening-level hazard characterization and prioritization document, N-alkyl carboxylic acids. http://www.epa.gov/chemrtk/hpvis/rbp/n-Alkyl%20Carboxylic%20Acids_HBP_December%202008.pdf.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 2008. Screening-level hazard characterization and prioritization document, alkyl phenols. http://www.epa.gov/chemrtk/hpvis/rbp/Alkylphenols_HBP_October%20FINAL%20POST%202008.pdf.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Pollution Prevention and Toxics (OPPT). 2009. http://www.epa.gov/champ/pubs/hpv/RBPMethodology_Web_April%202009.pdf.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 2012a. Regional screening levels (formerly PRGs). Screening levels for chemical contaminants (last update). EPA, Region 9. http://www.epa.gov/region9/superfund/prg/.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 2012b. Mid-Atlantic risk assessment, risk-based concentration table, equations. http://www.epa.gov/reg3hwmd/risk/human/rb-concentration_table/equations.htm.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Pollution Prevention and Toxics (OPPT). 2012. TSCA Work Plan Chemicals: Methods Document, February. EPA: Washington, DC.
- United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE). 2011. Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (GHS), 4th ed. http://www.unece.org/?id=25985. Section 184.108.40.206 http://www.unece.org/trans/danger/publi/ghs/ghs_rev02/English/03e_part3.pdf
- 2003. Automotive diesel and non-aviation gas turbine fuels. In Fuels and Lubricants Handbook: Technology, Properties, Performance and Testing, ed. G.E. Totten. 115–144. ASTM International: West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania. , and .
- 1995. Technical Protocol for Implementing Intrinsic Remediation with Long-Term Monitoring for Natural Attenuation of Fuel Contamination Dissolved in Groundwater. Vol. 1. Air Force Center for Environmental Excellence, Technology Transfer Division, Brooks Air Force Base: San Antonio, Texas. , , , , and .
- 2005. Metabolic biomarkers for monitoring in situ anaerobic hydrocarbon degradation. Environmental Health Perspectives 113: 62–67. , and .
- 2003. The technical case for eliminating the use of the TPH analysis in assessing and regulating dissolved petroleum hydrocarbons in ground water. Ground Water Monitoring & Remediation 23: 95–104. , and .
- 1995. The application of petroleum hydrocarbon fingerprint characterization in site investigation and remediation. Ground Water Monitoring & Remediation 15: 147–156. , , and .