Financial Support: The American Migraine Prevalence and Prevention (AMPP) Study was funded through a research grant to the National Headache Foundation from McNeil-Janssen Scientific Affairs LLC, Raritan, NJ. The AMPP database was donated by McNeil-Janssen Scientific Affairs LLC to the National Headache Foundation for use in various projects. Additional funding and support for this manuscript was provided through a grant to the National Headache Foundation by ENDO Pharmaceuticals, Chadds Ford, PA.
Sex Differences in the Prevalence, Symptoms, and Associated Features of Migraine, Probable Migraine and Other Severe Headache: Results of the American Migraine Prevalence and Prevention (AMPP) Study
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2013
© 2013 American Headache Society
Headache: The Journal of Head and Face Pain
Volume 53, Issue 8, pages 1278–1299, September 2013
How to Cite
Buse, D. C., Loder, E. W., Gorman, J. A., Stewart, W. F., Reed, M. L., Fanning, K. M., Serrano, D. and Lipton, R. B. (2013), Sex Differences in the Prevalence, Symptoms, and Associated Features of Migraine, Probable Migraine and Other Severe Headache: Results of the American Migraine Prevalence and Prevention (AMPP) Study. Headache: The Journal of Head and Face Pain, 53: 1278–1299. doi: 10.1111/head.12150
Conflict of Interest: Dawn C. Buse, PhD, has received grant support and honoraria from Allergan Pharmaceuticals, MAP Pharmaceuticals, Novartis and NuPathe. Elizabeth W. Loder, MD, MPH, reports receiving salary support from the British Medical Journal in exchange for services as a clinical editor. Jennifer A. Gorman, MS, has nothing to disclose. Walter F. Stewart, PhD, received grants from Allergan Pharmaceuticals, Endo Pharmaceuticals, GlaxoSmithKline, Minster, Merck, Inc., Neuralieve, Novartis, OrthoMcNeil, Pfizer, the National Headache Foundation, and the National Institutes of Health. Michael L. Reed, PhD, has received funding for research and data analysis from Allergan Inc., CoLucid, Endo Pharmaceuticals, GlaxoSmithKline, MAP Pharmaceuticals, Merck, Novartis, NuPathe, Ortho-McNeil, and the National Headache Foundation. Kristina M. Fanning, PhD, has received research support from Allergan Inc., CoLucid, Endo Pharmaceuticals, GlaxoSmithKline, MAP Pharmaceuticals, Merck & Co., Inc., NuPathe, Novartis, Ortho-McNeil, and the National Headache Foundation. Daniel Serrano, PhD, has received research support from Allergan Inc., CoLucid, Endo Pharmaceuticals, GlaxoSmithKline, MAP Pharmaceuticals, Merck & Co., Inc., NuPathe, Novartis, Ortho-McNeil, and the National Headache Foundation. Richard B. Lipton, MD, receives research support from the NIH [PO1 AG03949 (Program Director, Project and Core Leader), RO1AG025119 (Investigator), RO1AG022374-06A2 (Investigator), RO1AG034119 (Investigator), RO1AG12101 (Investigator), K23AG030857 (Mentor), K23NS05140901A1 (Mentor), and K23NS47256 (Mentor)], the National Headache Foundation, and the Migraine Research Fund; serves on the editorial board of Neurology, has reviewed for the NIA and NINDS, holds stock options in eNeura Therapeutics; serves as consultant, advisory board member, or has received honoraria from: Allergan, American Headache Society, Autonomic Technologies, Boehringer-Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Boston Scientific, Bristol Myers Squibb, Cognimed, Colucid, Eli Lilly, ENDO, eNeura Therapeutics, GlaxoSmithKline, Merck, Novartis, NuPathe, Pfizer, and Vedanta.
- Issue published online: 10 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 16 MAY 2013 07:01AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 MAY 2013
- McNeil-Janssen Scientific Affairs LLC
- ENDO Pharmaceuticals
- Allergan Pharmaceuticals
- MAP Pharmaceuticals
- British Medical Journal
- Merck, Inc.
- National Headache Foundation
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Numbers: PO1 AG03949, RO1AG025119, RO1AG022374-06A2, RO1AG034119, RO1AG12101, K23AG030857, K23NS05140901A1, K23NS47256
- Migraine Research Fund
- American Headache Society
- Autonomic Technologies
- Boehringer-Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals
- Boston Scientific
- Bristol Myers Squibb
- Eli Lilly
- eNeura Therapeutics
- 3The characteristics and subtypes of headache in relation to age and gender in a rural community in Eastern Turkey. Agri. 2012;24:145-152., , .
- 10National Ambulatory Medical Care and National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/ahcd.htm (accessed May 7, 2013).
- 11National Center for Health Statistics. National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey and National Hospital Ambulatory Care Survey, 2009. Hyattsville, MD: Public Health Service; 2010.
- 12National Center for Health Statistics. National Health Interview Survey, 2011: With Special Feature on Socioeconomic Status and Health. Hyattsville, MD: Public Health Service; 2012.
- 13National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes.htm (accessed May 7, 2013).
- 14National Health Interview Survey website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhis.htm (accessed May 7, 2013).
- 29The prevalence, impact, and treatment of migraine and severe headaches in the United States: A review of statistics from national surveillance studies. Headache. 2013;53:427-436. doi: 10.1111/head.12074, , , .
- 32Headache Classification Subcommittee of the International Headache Society. The international classification of headache disorders: 2nd edition. Cephalalgia. 2004;24(Suppl. 1):9-160.
- 50World Health Organization. Mental Health: New Understanding, New Hope. Geneva: WHO; 2001., , , et al.