Author's Note: With the exception of the first 4 references which relate to specific articles, the references provided herein were used as general background and are not annotated. They do represent a useful summary of the background for the editorial and are therefore included forthose interested.
Headache Currents—Clinical Review
CAM in the Real World: You May Practice Evidence-Based Medicine, But Your Patients Don't
Version of Record online: 25 APR 2014
© 2014 American Headache Society
Headache: The Journal of Head and Face Pain
Volume 54, Issue 6, pages 1097–1102, June 2014
How to Cite
Cowan, R. P. (2014), CAM in the Real World: You May Practice Evidence-Based Medicine, But Your Patients Don't. Headache: The Journal of Head and Face Pain, 54: 1097–1102. doi: 10.1111/head.12364
Conflict of Interest: None.
- Issue online: 10 JUN 2014
- Version of Record online: 25 APR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 MAR 2014
- 3Abstracts of the 53rd Annual Scientific Meeting of the American Headache Society, June 2-5, 2011, Washington, DC. Headache. 2011;51(Suppl. 1):1-72..
- 5National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM). Available from: http://www.nccam.nih.gov/health/whatiscam.
- 6Medical Education in the United States and Canada: A Report to the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, Bulletin no. 4. New York City: The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching; 1910..
- Rios Net Clinicians. “They don't ask me so I don't tell them”: Patient-clinician communication about traditional, complementary, and alternative medicine. Ann Fam Med. 2009;7:139-147. , , , , ,
- Complementary and alternative medicine use among adults with migraines/severe headaches. Headache. 2011;51:1087-1097. , , , , .
- Complementary and alternative medicine use for headache and migraine: A critical review of the literature. Headache. 2013;53:459-473. , , .
- EFNS guideline on the treatment of tension-type headache – report of an EFNS task force. Eur J Neurol. 2010;17:1318-1325. , , , et al.
- Role of magnesium, coenzyme Q10, riboflavin, and vitamin B12 in migraine prophylaxis. Vitam Horm. 2004;69:297-312. , , , , , .
- Determinants of the use of four categories of complementary and alternative medicine. Complement Health Pract Rev. 2006;11:3-26. , , .
- Response of cluster headache attacks to oxygen inhalation. Headache. 1981;21:1-4. .
- Acupuncture for tension-type headache. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009;(1):CD007587. , , , , , .
- Petasites hybridus root (butterbur) is an effective preventive treatment for migraine. Neurology. 2004;63:2240-2244. , , , , .
- Cannabinoids and hallucinogens for headache. Headache. 2013;53:447-458. .
- Butterbur root extract and music therapy in the prevention of childhood migraine: An explorative study. Eur J Pain. 2008;12:301-313. , , , et al.
- Non-pharmacological approach to migraine prophylaxis: Part II. Neurol Sci. 2010;31(Suppl. 1):S137-S139. , , , , , .