Efficacy of ezetimibe for reducing serum low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels resistant to lifestyle intervention in patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease
Article first published online: 25 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Japan Society of Hepatology
Volume 44, Issue 7, pages 812–817, July 2014
How to Cite
Oza, N., Takahashi, H., Eguchi, Y., Kitajima, Y., Kuwashiro, T., Ishibashi, E., Nakashita, S., Iwane, S., Kawaguchi, Y., Mizuta, T., Ozaki, I., Ono, N., Eguchi, T., Fujimoto, K. and Anzai, K. (2014), Efficacy of ezetimibe for reducing serum low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels resistant to lifestyle intervention in patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Hepatology Research, 44: 812–817. doi: 10.1111/hepr.12176
- Issue published online: 7 JUL 2014
- Article first published online: 25 JUN 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 30 MAY 2013 06:41AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 9 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 16 MAR 2013
- low-density lipoprotein cholesterol
To investigate the efficacy of ezetimibe and lifestyle intervention for treating patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) and residual dyslipidemia via a combination of ezetimibe and lifestyle intervention.
Patients with NAFLD with residual dyslipidemia after a 6-month lifestyle intervention program were included. After completion of the 6-month program, the patients received p.o. administration of ezetimibe at 10 mg/day, in addition to lifestyle intervention, for 6 months.
Of the 59 patients with NAFLD who had participated in the 6-month lifestyle intervention program between 2007 and 2012, 21 with residual dyslipidemia (10 males and 11 females) were enrolled. Median age was 58 years (range, 27–75), median bodyweight was 63.0 kg (range, 39.4–109.0), median body mass index was 25.4 kg/m2 (range, 18.2–37.1), median alanine aminotransferase was 23 IU/L (14–73), median high-density lipoprotein (HDL) was 58 mg/dL (range, 37–93), median triglycerides (TG) was 105 mg/dL (range, 42–216) and median low-density lipoprotein (LDL) was 153 (66–209) mg/dL. After 6 months of treatment with ezetimibe, serum LDL levels were improved in 15 of 20 (75%) patients (P = 0.0015), while no improvements were observed in the remaining five patient (25%). Ezetimibe was discontinued in one patient who developed skin rash.
Ezetimibe is effective for treating residual dyslipidemia after lifestyle intervention in patients with NAFLD.