Creating an impersonal NHS? Personalization, choice and the erosion of intimacy
Version of Record online: 4 SEP 2012
© 2012 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Volume 18, Issue 1, pages 22–31, February 2015
How to Cite
Owens, J. (2015), Creating an impersonal NHS? Personalization, choice and the erosion of intimacy. Health Expectations, 18: 22–31. doi: 10.1111/hex.12000
- Issue online: 13 JAN 2015
- Version of Record online: 4 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 JUL 2012
- 2Personalising Public Services: Understanding the Personalisation Narrative. Bristol: The Policy Press, 2011..
- 3High quality care for all. NHS Next Stage Review: Final Report. London: DH, 2008..
- 4Securing Good Health for The Whole Population: Final Report. London: DH, 2004..
- 5Making Sense of New Labour. London: Lawrence & Wishart, 2003..
- 6New Labour's double-shuffle. Soundings, 2003; 24: 10–24..
- 7The Future of Our NHS: Personal & Preventative. Speech made at King's College London. 7th January 2008. Available at: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7174340.stm, accessed 10 August 2012..
- 8Open Public Services White Paper. London: The Stationary Office, 2011..
- 9Department of Health. Direct payments for health care: Information for pilot sites. London: DH, 2010.
- 10Individual Budgets Evaluation Network. The national evaluation of the Individual Budgets pilot programme: Summary report. 2008. Available at http://php.york.ac.uk/inst/spru/research/summs/ibsen.php, accessed 14 August 2012.
- 11Future of Personalisation. Sheffield: Centre for Welfare Reform, 2010..
- 12Active Patient: The Case for Self-Direction in Healthcare. Sheffield: Centre for Welfare Reform, 2011..
- 13Royal College of General Practitioners. The educational needs of the future general practitioner. The Journal of the Royal College of General Practitioners, 1969; 18: 358–360.
- 16A Fortunate Man the Story of a Country Doctor. Harmondsworth: Penguin Press, 1969., .
- 17Consumerism and the provision of health care. British Journal of Healthcare Management, 2010; 16: 609–611..
- 20Markets and Morals. BBC Radio 4; 2009. Available at: http://php.york.ac.uk/inst/spru/research/summs/ibsen.php, accessed 14 August 2012..
- 21Not Just for the Money. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, 1998..
- 23Public management ‘reform’ narratives and the changing organisation of primary care. London Journal of Primary Care, 2010; 3: 76–80..
- 24Why reforming the NHS doesn't work: The importance of understanding how good people offer bad care. 2011..
- 25Involvement, shared decision-making and medicines. London: Royal Pharmaceutical Society, 2011. Available at http://www.rpharms.com/news-story-downloads/rpsresearchreport.pdf, accessed 14 August 2012..
- 26The Logic of Care. Routledge: Health and the Problem of Patient Choice, 2008..
- 28Whose body is it anyway? What doctors should do when patients make bad decisions The New Yorker, October 4, 1999; 84–91..