‘Talking the talk or walking the walk?’ A bibliometric review of the literature on public involvement in health research published between 1995 and 2009
Version of Record online: 4 OCT 2012
© 2012 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Volume 18, Issue 1, pages 44–57, February 2015
How to Cite
Boote, J., Wong, R. and Booth, A. (2015), ‘Talking the talk or walking the walk?’ A bibliometric review of the literature on public involvement in health research published between 1995 and 2009. Health Expectations, 18: 44–57. doi: 10.1111/hex.12007
- Issue online: 13 JAN 2015
- Version of Record online: 4 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 AUG 2012
- 1National Health & Medical Research Council and Consumers_ Health Forum of Australia. Statement on consumer and community participation in health and medical research. Available at: http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/ _files_nhmrc/publications/attachments/r22.pdf, accessed 31st July 2012.
- 2Department of Health. Research Governance Framework for hEalth and Social Care, 2nd edn. London: Department of Health, 2005.
- 3National Institute for Health Research. Patients and public. Available at: http://www.crncc.nihr.ac.uk/ppi, accessed 31st July 2012.
- 4Canadian Institutes of Health Research. Citizen engagement framework. Available at: http://www.cihr-irsc.gc.ca/e/41753.html, accessed 31st July 2012.
- 5National Institute for Health Research. Patient and public involvement: information for researchers. Available at: http://www.crncc.nihr.ac.uk/about_us/ccrn/cdtv/PPI/PPI_Researchers, accessed 6 February 2012.
- 9Patient and public involvement in health and social care research: a bibliography. Available at: http://www.rds-yh.nihr.ac.uk/_file.ashx?id=3959, accessed 12 September 2012..
- 12Exploring Impact: Public Involvement in NHS, Public Health and Social Care Research. Eastleigh: INVOLVE, 2009. Available at: http://www.invo.org.uk/pdfs/Involve_Exploring_Impactfinal28.10.09.pdf, accessed 12 September 2012..
- 13User Involvement in the Design and Undertaking of Nursing, Midwifery and Health Visiting Research. London: NCCSDO, 2005., , et al.
- 15The PIRICOM Study: A Systematic Review of the Conceptualisation, Measurement, Impact and Outcomes of Patients and Public Involvement in Health and Social Care Research. London: UK Clinical Research Collaboration, 2010. Available at: http://www.ukcrc.org/index.aspx?o=3233, accessed 12 September 2012., , , , , .
- 17Public involvement in the design and conduct of clinical trials: a review. The International Journal of Interdisciplinary Social Sciences, 2011; 5: 91–111., , .
- 21Study of Participatory Research in Health Promotion. Ottowa: Royal Society of Canada, 1992., , , , .
- 22Three dilemmas in action research. Human Relations, 1970; 33: 488–543..
- 24Evolution and convergence in participatory action-research. In: Frideres JA, (ed.) A world of Communities: Participatory Research Perspectives. Toronto: Captus University Publications, 1992: 14–19..
- 26INVOLVE. About us. Available at: http://www.invo.org.uk/About_Us.asp, accessed 31st July 2012.
- 27INVOLVE Evidence Library. Available at: http://www.invo.org.uk/resource-centre/evidence-library/, accessed 31st July 2012.
- 28Community-based Participatory Research (CBPR): Assessing the Evidence. Evidence Report/Technology Assessment No. 99. Roackville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, 2004., , et al.
- 29Integrating research and action: a systematic review of community- based participatory research to address health disparities in environmental and occupational health in the United States. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 2008; 62: 668–676. doi:10.1136/jech.2007.067645..
- 31Consumers and research in the NHS: foreword. In: Consumers in the NHS: an R & D Contribution to Consumer Involvement in the NHS. London: Department of Health, 1995: 230..
- 32National Institutes of Health. History of NIH director's council of public representatives. Available at: http://copr.nih.gov/about/history, accessed 31st July 2012.
- 33North American Primary Care Research Group. Responsible research with communities: participatory research in primary care. Available at: http://www.views/fap/napcrg 98/policy.html, accessed 31st July 2012.
- 34Widening the Research Focus: Consumer Roles in Public Health Research. Report of the National Workshop on Consumer Participation In and Input Into Public Health Research. Curtin: Health Forum of Australia Inc; 1992., , editors.
- 35The Virtuous Cycle: Working Together for Health and Medical Research. (Final Report of the Health and Medical Research Strategic Review.) Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia, 1999..
- 36Department of Health. Research and Development for a First Class Service. London: Department of Health, 2000.
- 37Community-based Research Canada. Who are we. Available at: http://communityresearchcanada.ca/?action=news. accessed 31st July 2012.
- 38International Collaboration for Participatory Health Research. Mission. Available at: http://www.icphr.org/mission, accessed 31st July 2012.
- 39International Collaboration for Participatory Health Research (ICPHR). Available at: http://www.icphr.org/, accessed 12 September 2012.
- 40EQUATOR. Available at: http://www.equator-network.org/home/, accessed 31st July 2012.