Corrections added after first online publication on 4 December 2013: In order to protect patient privacy, the names of places and locations in conversations have been omitted.
In search of compassion: a new taxonomy of compassionate physician behaviours
Version of Record online: 4 DEC 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Volume 18, Issue 5, pages 1672–1685, October 2015
How to Cite
Cameron, R. A., Mazer, B. L., DeLuca, J. M., Mohile, S. G. and Epstein, R. M. (2015), In search of compassion: a new taxonomy of compassionate physician behaviours. Health Expectations, 18: 1672–1685. doi: 10.1111/hex.12160
- Issue online: 25 SEP 2015
- Version of Record online: 4 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 OCT 2013
- NIH/NCI. Grant Number: R01CA140419-01A2
- University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
- 2Empathy, compassion, and the goals of medicine. In: Hutchinson TA (ed) Whole Person Care: A new Paradigm for the 21st Century, 1st edn. New York: Spring Science+Business Media, LLC., 2011: 59–67..
- 3Compassion. In: Rorty AO (ed) Explaining Emotions. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press, 1980: 507–517..
- 6Empathy in Patient Care: Antecedents, Development, Measurement, and Outcomes, 1st edn. New York: Springer, 2007..
- 10The qualities of a compassionate nurse according to the perceptions of medical-surgical patients. Medsurg Nursing, 2011; 20: 29–36..
- 11What makes for a compassionate patient-caregiver relationship? Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety, 2006; 32: 283–292..
- 12Measuring compassion in physician assistants. Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants, 2003; 16: 31–36, 39–40., , , .
- 13These things called empathy: eight related but distinct phenomena. In: Decety J, Ickes W (eds) The Social Neuroscience of Empathy, 1st edn. Cambridge: MIT Press, 2009: 3–15..
- 15Valuing compassion through definition and measurement. Nursing Management (Harrow), 2011; 17: 32–37., , .
- 18Aquinas on compassion: has he something to offer today? Irish Theological Quarterly, 2010; 75: 157–174..
- 19What is medical professionalism? In: Stern DT (ed) Measuring Medical Professionalism, 1st edn. New York: Oxford University Press, 2006: 15–37., .
- 20Principles of Biomedical Ethics, 5th edn. New York: Oxford University Press, 2001., .
- 24Doing Qualitative Research (Research Methods for Primary Care), 2nd edn. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 1999., .