Intimate partner violence in women living with HIV attending an inner city clinic in the UK: prevalence and associated factors
Article first published online: 6 DEC 2012
© 2012 British HIV Association
Volume 14, Issue 5, pages 303–310, May 2013
How to Cite
Dhairyawan, R., Tariq, S., Scourse, R. and Coyne, K. (2013), Intimate partner violence in women living with HIV attending an inner city clinic in the UK: prevalence and associated factors. HIV Medicine, 14: 303–310. doi: 10.1111/hiv.12009
- Issue published online: 2 APR 2013
- Article first published online: 6 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 OCT 2012
- 1Intimate partner violence surveillance: uniform definitions and recommended data elements. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control; 1999. Available at www.cdc.gov/ncipc/pub-res/ipv_surveillance/Intimate%20Partner%20Violence.pdf (accessed 2012)., , , .
- 3Homicides, Firearm Offences and Intimate Violence 2008/09. Supplementary Volume 2 to Crime in England and Wales 2008/09. 2010 Home Office Statistical Bulletin., , , , , .
- 4Medical and psychosocial diagnoses in women with a history of intimate partner violence. Arch Intern Med 2009; 169: 1692–1697., , , , , .
- 5Domestic violence London: a resource for health professionals. Available at www.domesticviolencelondon.nhs.uk/ (accessed 2012).
- 6Responding to Domestic Abuse: A Handbook for Health Professionals. London, Department of Health, 2005: Available at www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/documents/digitalasset/dh_4126619.pdf (accessed 2012).
- 10Violence against women: its importance for HIV/AIDS. AIDS 2000; 14 (Suppl 3): S253–S265., .
- 15Influence of abuse on condom negotiation among Mexican-American women involved in abusive relationships. Assoc Nurses AIDS Care 2002; 13: 46–56..
- 24Do internationally recognised links between HIV and gender based violence have relevance in the UK? HIV Med 2012; 13 (Suppl 1): 25., , et al.
- 25Department for Communities and Local Government. English indices of deprivation 2010. Available at www.communities.gov.uk/publications/corporate/statistics/indices2010 (accessed 2012).
- 30The Composite Abuse Scale: further development and assessment of reliability and validity of a multidimensional partner abuse measure in clinical settings. Violence Vict 2005; 20: 529–547., , .
- 31Women's lives after an HIV-positive diagnosis: disclosure and violence. Matern Child Health 2000; 4: 11–20., , .
- 34Mental health consequences of intimate partner violence. In: Mitchell C , Anglin D , eds. Intimate Partner Violence, A Health-Based Perspective. Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2009: 147–172., , .
- 39Intimate partner violence and age of victim, 1993-99. Bureau of Justice Statistics; Special Report. US Department of Justice. Available at www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/ipva99.pdf (accessed 2012)..
- 40Women's Aid. Older women and domestic violence. June 2007. Available at www.womensaid.org.uk/downloads/olderwomenanddvreport(1).pdf (accessed 2012).
- 42Extent, nature, and consequences of intimate partner violence: findings from the National Violence Against Women Survey. Available at www.nij.gov/pubs-sum/181867.htm (accessed 2012)., .
- 45“Don't be afraid to ask”: the role of primary care clinicians in facilitating meaningful change for women experiencing domestic violence and abuse-why waiting for women to speak-up may be harmful. 40th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Society for Academic Primary Care, July 2011. Available at https://sapc.conference-services.net/reports/template/onetextabstract.xml?xsl=template/onetextabstract.xsl&conferenceID=2491&abstractID=500291 (accessed 2012)., , , , .
- 462011. Violence against women living with HIV and AIDS: a background paper. Washington DC: Development Connections Available at www.dvcn.org/uploads/client_70/files/VAPositiveWBkgrdPaper2011.pdf (accessed 2012)., .
- 47New York State Department of Health. Guidelines for Integrating Domestic Violence Screening into HIV Counseling, Testing, Referral & Partner Notification. Available at www.health.ny.gov/nysdoh/rfa/hiv/guide.htm (accessed 2012).