Contributed equally as senior authors.
Intention to adhere to HIV treatment: a patient-centred predictor of antiretroviral adherence
Article first published online: 3 APR 2013
© 2013 British HIV Association
Volume 14, Issue 8, pages 472–480, September 2013
How to Cite
Nelsen, A., Gupta, S., Trautner, B., Petersen, N., Garza, A., Giordano, T., Naik, A. and Rodriguez-Barradas, M. (2013), Intention to adhere to HIV treatment: a patient-centred predictor of antiretroviral adherence. HIV Medicine, 14: 472–480. doi: 10.1111/hiv.12032
- Issue published online: 1 AUG 2013
- Article first published online: 3 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 FEB 2013
- Houston VA Health Services Research and Development Center of Excellence. Grant Number: HFP90-020
- Doris Duke Charitable Foundation Clinical Scientist Development Award
- RR&D. Grant Number: B4623
- 1Retaining HIV-infected patients in care: where are we? Where do we go from here? Clin Infect Dis 2010; 50: 52–61., , , , .
- 210 Leading Causes of Death by Age Group–United States. 2008. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 9-3-2010. 12-2-2011. Ref Type: Online Source.
- 8Panel on Antiretrovial Guidelines for Adults and Adolescents. Guidelines for the use of antiretroviral agents in HIV-1-infected adults and adolescents. D-1. 2012. Department of Health and Human Services. 6-28-2012. Ref Type: Online Source.
- 11The association between health literacy and HIV treatment adherence: further evidence from objectively measured medication adherence. J Int Assoc Physicians AIDS Care 2008; 7: 17–23., , et al.
- 15Perspectives on adherence and simplicity for HIV-infected patients on antiretroviral thearpy: self-report of the relative importance of multiple attributes of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) regimens in predicting adherence. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2004; 36: 08–16., , , , .
- 16Is patients' preferred involvement in health decisions related to outcomes for patients with HIV? J Gen Intern Med 2006; 22: 119–124., , .
- 19Assessing medication adherence self-efficacy among low-literacy patients: development of a pictographic visual analogue scale. Health Educ Res 2005; 20: 4–35., , , , , .
- 20Results of an antiretroviral adherence intervention: STAR (staying healthy: taking antiretrovirals regularly). J Int Assoc Physicians AIDS Care 2007; 6: 13–24., , , , .
- 21Antiretroviral adherence interventions: translating research findings to the real world clinic. Curr HIV/AIDS Rep 2010; 7: 4–51., , , .
- 23Development and validation of a measure for intention to adhere to HIV. AIDS Pt Care STDs 2012; 26: 29–34., , et al.
- 25What role do patients wish to play in treatment decision making? Arch Intern Med 1996; 156: 414–420., , .
- 29On the Assessment and Analysis of Variables in the Health Action Process Approach: Conducting An Investigation. Berlin, Freie Universeitat Berlin, 2003., , et al.
- 30Measuring adherence to antiretroviral therapy in a diverse population using a visual analogue scale. HIV Clin Trials 2004; 5: 4–9., , , , .
- 38Factors affecting adherence to antiretroviral therapy in people living with HIV/AIDS. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care 2003; 14: 7–45., .
- 53The motivating function of thinking about the future: expectations versus fantasies. J Pers Soc Psychol 2002; 83: 198–212., .