How is Primary Health Care conceptualised in nursing in Australia? A review of the literature
Version of Record online: 17 AUG 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Health & Social Care in the Community
Volume 22, Issue 4, pages 337–351, July 2014
How to Cite
Henderson, J., Koehne, K., Verrall, C., Gebbie, K. and Fuller, J. (2014), How is Primary Health Care conceptualised in nursing in Australia? A review of the literature. Health & Social Care in the Community, 22: 337–351. doi: 10.1111/hsc.12064
- Issue online: 9 JUN 2014
- Version of Record online: 17 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 JUN 2013
- 2010) How nurses address the burden of disease in remote or isolated areas of Queensland. International Journal of Nursing Practice 16, 472–477. , , & (
- 2007) Where does practice nursing fit in primary health care? Contemporary Nurse 26 (1), 15–26. (
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW) (2009) Health and Community Services Labour Force. National health labour force series number 42. cat. no. HWL 43. AIHW, Canberra
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW) (2012) Nursing & Midwifery Workforce 2011. AIHW, Canberra. Available at: http://www.aihw.gov.au/publication-detail/?id=10737422167&tab=3 (accessed on 22/10/2012).
- 2011) Developmental surveillance of infants and toddlers by maternal and child health nurses in an Australian community-based setting: promoting the early identification of autism spectrum disorders. Journal of Pediatric Nursing 26, 334–347. , & (
- 2007) Health for All Now! Reviving the spirit of Alma Ata in the twenty-first century: an introduction to the Alma Ata Declaration. Social Medicine 2 (1), 34–41. (
- 2010) Models of health service delivery in remote or isolated areas of Queensland: a multiple care study. Australian Journal of Advanced Nursing 28 (1), 25–34. , , , & (
- 2008) What is the impact of advanced primary care nursing roles on patients, nurses and their colleagues? A literature review. International Journal of Nursing Studies 45, 1090–1102. & (
- 2011) A vision for nursing – how recent initiatives in nursing and midwifery will impact on future health. The Journal of the Gastroenterological Nurses College of Australia 21 (2), 6–10. (
- 2006) Treatment of minor illness in primary care: a national survey of patient satisfaction, attitudes and preferences regarding a wider nursing role. Health Expectations 10, 30–45. , , , , & (
- 2008) New and emerging nurse-led models of primary health care. Discussion paper prepared for the Australian Government National Health and Hospitals Reform Commission. Available at: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/nhhrc/publishing.nsf/Content/discussion-papers (accessed on 12/4/2012). (
- 2008) Models of chronic disease management in primary care for patients with mild-to-moderate asthma or COPD: a narrative review. Medical Journal of Australia 188 (8), S50–S52. , & (
- Department of Health and Ageing (2009) Primary Health Care Reform in Australia: Report to Support Australia's First National Primary Health Care Strategy. Commonwealth of Australia, Canberra.
- Department of Health and Ageing (2010) Building a 21st Century Primary Health Care System: Australia's First National Primary Health Care Strategy. Commonwealth of Australia, Canberra.
- Department of Health & Ageing (2011a) Medicare Schedule Benefits Book. Commonwealth of Australia, Canberra.
- Department of Health & Ageing (2011b) Participating Nurse Practitioners – Questions and Answers. Commonwealth of Australia, Canberra. Available at: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/midwives-nurse-pract-qanda-nursepract (accessed on 22/10/2012).
- Department of Health & Ageing (2013) Practice Nurse Incentive Program (PNIP). Commonwealth of Australia, Canberra. Available at: http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/provider/incentives/pnip.jsp (accessed on 15/4/2013).
- 2009) Nurse practitioners and medical practice: opposing forces or complementary contributions? Perspectives in Psychiatric Care 45 (1), 9–16. , & (
- 2012) The impact of funding changes on the implementation of primary health care policy. Primary Health Care Research & Development 13 (2), 120–129. , , & (
- 2006) The changing role of bush nurses in East Gippsland, Victoria. Rural Society 16 (1), 78–93. & (
- 2006) Evolution of practice nursing in Australia. Journal of Advanced Nursing 55 (3), 376–390. , & (
- 2007) Exploring the development of Australian general practice nursing: where we have come from and where to from here? Contemporary Nurse 26 (1), 145–153. , & (
- 2008a) Cardiovascular disease management: time to advance the practice nurse role? Australian Health Review 32 (1), 44–55. , , & (
- 2008b) Promoting leadership and management in Australian general practice nursing: what will it take? Journal of Nursing Management 16, 846–852. , & (
- 2007) Public health nurses' views on their position within a changing health system. Nursing Praxis in New Zealand 23 (2), 14–26. , & (
- 2008) Chronic disease self-management: implementation with and within Australian general practice. Medical Journal of Australia 189 (10 Suppl.), S17–S20. , , , & (
- 2011) Legislative hegemony and nurse practitioner practice in rural and remote Australia. Health Sociology Review 20 (3), 269–280. (
- 2012) The role of government policy in supporting nurse-led care in general practice in United Kingdom, New Zealand and Australia: an adapted realist review. Journal of Advanced Nursing 68 (5), 963–980. , & (
- 2009) Farewell to the handmaiden? Profile of nurses in Australian general practice in 2007. Australian Journal of Advanced Nursing 27 (1), 48–58. & (
- 2011) The work of nurses in Australian general practice: a national survey. International Journal of Nursing Studies 48, 70–80. & (
- 2001) Why primary health care offers a more comprehensive approach to tackling health inequities than primary care. Australian Journal of Primary Health 7 (2), 57–61. (
- 2007) Practice nurses in Australia: current issues and future directions. Medical Journal of Australia 187 (2), 108–110. , , & (
- 2009) Systematic review of the effectiveness of primary care nursing. International Journal of Nursing Practice 15, 16–24. , , & (
- 2010) Preparing nurses for primary health care futures: how well do Australian nursing courses perform? Australian Journal of Primary Health 16, 211–216. , & (
- 2006) Primary Health Care, Partnership and Polemic: child and family health nursing support in early parenting. Australian Journal of Primary Health 12 (2), 57–65. , & (
- 2012) Dreaming the impossible dream: ordering risks in Australian maternity care policies. Health Sociology Review 21 (1), 23–35. (
- 2006) Consultations in general practice and at an Aboriginal community controlled health service: do they differ? Rural and Remote Health 6, 560. , & (
- 2008a) A square peg in a round hole? Approaches to incorporating lifestyle counselling into routine primary health care. Australian Journal of Primary Health 14 (3), 101–111. , , , , & (
- 2008b) Should I and can I? A mixed methods study of clinician beliefs and attitudes in the management of lifestyle risk factors in primary health care. BMC Health Services Research 8, 44. , , , , , & (
- 2010) An efficacy trial of brief lifestyle intervention delivered by generalist community nurses (CN SNAP Trial). BMC Nursing 9 (1), 4. , , , , , & (
- 2006) Global and regional burden of disease and risk factors, 2001: systematic analysis of population health data. The Lancet 367 (9524), 1747–1757. , , , & (
- 2007) Leadership in primary health care: an international perspective. Contemporary Nurse 26 (1), 30–36. (
- 2010) Empowerment and enterprise: the political economy of nursing. Collegian 17 (3), 113–118. (
- 2012) Nursing in general practice: organizational possibilities for decision latitude, created skill, social support and identity derived from role. Journal of Advanced Nursing 68 (3), 614–624. , , & (
- 2010) The status of rural nursing in Australia: 12 years on. Collegian 17 (1), 30–37. , & (
- National Health and Medical Research Council (2000) How to Use the Evidence: Assessment and Application of Scientific Evidence. Commonwealth of Australia, Canberra.
- 2004) Who will be there to nurse? Retention of nurses nearing retirement. Journal of Nursing Administration 34 (6), 298–302. , & (
- 2010) The advent of mental health nurses in Australian general practice. Contemporary Nurse 36 (1–2), 106–117. & (
- 2010) Primary care nursing workforce in Australia: a vision for the future. Australian Family Physician 39 (3), 159–160. , & (
- 2007) The role of practice nurses in coordinated care of people with chronic and complex conditions. Australian Health Review 31 (2), 231–238. , & (
- 2009) Enhancing care, improving quality: the six roles of the general practice nurse. Medical Journal of Australia 191 (2), 92–97. , , et al. (
- 2006) Demographic change and the future demand for public hospital care in Australia, 2005 to 2050. Australian Health Review 30 (4), 507–515. & (
- 2000) Promoting Health: The Primary Health Care Approach, 2nd edn. Elsevier Australia, Marrickville. (
- 2006) The health promoting school: what role for nursing? Journal of Clinical Nursing 15, 264–271. (
- 2007) Planning primary health care services for South Australian young offenders: a preliminary study. International Journal of Nursing Practice 13, 296–303. (
- World Health Organization (WHO) (2008) Primary Health Care: Now More than Ever. WHO, Geneva.