Kiwis to pewees: the value of studying bird calls
Article first published online: 16 MAR 2013
© 2013 British Ornithologists' Union
Volume 155, Issue 2, pages 225–228, April 2013
How to Cite
Benedict, L. and Krakauer, A. H. (2013), Kiwis to pewees: the value of studying bird calls. Ibis, 155: 225–228. doi: 10.1111/ibi.12049
- Issue published online: 16 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 16 MAR 2013
- 2000. Penguins use the two-voice system to recognize each other. Proc. Biol. Sci. 267: s1081–1087. , &
- 2002. Body mass and habitat correlates of song structure in a primitive group of birds. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 77: 423–430. &
- 2012. Paradoxical calls: the opposite signaling role of sound frequency across bird species. Behav. Ecol. 23: 237–241.
- 2008. Bird Song: Biological Themes and Variations. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. &
- 2008. Vocalizations of the North Island Brown Kiwi (Apteryx mantelli). Auk 125: 326–335. , &
- 2006. Vocal behaviour and neighbour spatial arrangement during vocal displays in eagle owls (Bubo bubo). J. Zool. 271: 3–10. &
- 2013. Vocal cooperation between the sexes in Little Spotted Kiwi Apteryx owenii. Ibis 155: 229–245. , &
- 2005. Flight calls and their value for future ornithological studies and conservation research. Auk 122: 733–746.
- 2007. The evolution of song in female birds in Europe. Behav. Ecol. 18: 86–96. , , &
- 2009. Females alter their song when challenged in a sex-role reversed bird species. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 64: 193–204. , , &
- 2002. The honesty of bird song: multiple constraints for multiple traits. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17: 133–141. &
- 2009. A review of vocal duetting in birds. Adv Stud Behav 40: 67–121.
- 2007. Communication of male quality in owl hoots. Am. Natur. 169: 552–562. , , , &
- 2008. Phylogenomic evidence for multiple losses of flight in ratite birds. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci.USA 105: 13462–13467. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- IUCN Red List (2012) Apteryx owenii. Retrieved January 2013 from: http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/100006009/0
- 2009. Vocal and anatomical evidence for two-voiced sound production in the greater sage-grouse Centrocercus urophasianus. J. Exp. Biol. 212: 3719–3727. , , , , &
- 1982. Appendix: a world survey of evidence for vocal learning in birds. In Kroodsma, D.E. & Miller, E.H. (eds) Acoustic Communication in Birds: 311–337. New York: Academic Press. &
- 1998. Functions of duet and solo songs of female birds. Trends Ecol. Evol. 13: 136–140.
- 1986. A phylogenetic analysis of recent anseriform genera using morphological characters. Auk 103: 737–754.
- 1991. A phylogenetic analysis and classification of recent dabbling ducks (Tribe Anatini) based on comparative morphology. Auk 108: 471–507.
- 2003. Low-frequency vocalizations by cassowaries (Casuarius spp.). Auk 120: 1062–1068. &
- 2006. Bird calls: their potential for behavioral neurobiology. Ann. NY Acad. Sci. 1016: 31–44.
- 1975. Ecological sources of selection on avian sounds. Am. Nat. 109: 17–34.
- 2010. A quantitative description of the vocalizations and vocal activity of the Barred Owl. Condor 112: 549–560. &
- 2010. What makes vocalisation frequency an unreliable signal of body size in birds? A study on black swans. Ethology 116: 554–563. , &
- 2004. Bird song: the interface of evolution and mechanism. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 35: 55–87. , &
- 1985. The role of body size, phylogeny, and ambient noise in the evolution of bird song. Am. Nat. 126: 87–100. &
- 2012. On the evolution of noise-dependent vocal plasticity in birds. Biol. Lett. 8: 913–916. , , &
- 2002. Bird song, ecology and speciation. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B: Biol. Sci. 357: 493–503. &
- 2003. Fifty years of bird song research: a case study in animal behaviour. Anim. Behav. 65: 633–639.
- 2008. Multimodal signaling in fowl, Gallus gallus. J. Exp. Biol. 211: 2052–2057. &
- 2006. Producing song: the vocal apparatus. Ann. NY. Acad. Sci. 1016: 109–129. &
- 1980. Correlation of song frequency and body weight in passerine birds. Cell. Mol. Life Sci. 36: 412–412.
- 1984. The Voice and Vocabulary of the Wild Turkey. Gainesville, FL: Real Turkeys. .
- 1985. Ontogeny of the zebra finch distance call: I. Effects of cross-fostering to bengalese finches. Z. Tierpsychol. 68: 1–23.