Thiessen polygons as a model for animal territory estimation
Version of Record online: 15 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. IBIs published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd on behalf of British Ornithologists' Union
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Volume 156, Issue 1, pages 215–219, January 2014
How to Cite
Schlicht, L., Valcu, M., Kempenaers, B. (2014), Thiessen polygons as a model for animal territory estimation. Ibis, 156: 215–219. doi: 10.1111/ibi.12105
- Issue online: 16 DEC 2013
- Version of Record online: 15 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 5 DEC 2012
- Max Planck Society
- International Max Planck Research School
- 2001. Approaches to the study of territory size and shape. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 32: 277–303.
- 1991. Voronoi diagrams – a survey of a fundamental geometric data structure. Comput. Surv. 23: 345–405.
- 2005. Spatstat: an R package for analysing spatial point patterns. J. Stat. Softw. 12: 1–42. &
- 2011. lme4: Linear Mixed-Effects Models Using S4 Classes. R package version 0.999375–42 Available at http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=lme4. (accessed 2 February 2012). , &
- 2012. rgeos: Interface to Geometric Enginge – Open Source (GEOS). R package version 0.2–5 Available at http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=rgeos (accessed 21 March 2012). &
- 2008. Applied Spatial Data Analysis with R. New York: Springer Science+Business Media. , &
- 1996. Food patchiness, territory overlap and social systems: an experiment with dunnocks Prunella modularis. J. Anim. Ecol. 65: 837–846. &
- 2003. Effect displays in R for generalized linear models. J. Stat. Softw. 8: 1–27.
- 2012. Long-term familiarity promotes joining in neighbour nest defence. Biol. Lett. 8: 544–546. , &
- 2001. Dirichlet neighbours: revisiting Dirichlet tessellation for neighbourhood analysis. Comput. Environ. Urban Syst. 25: 105–117. , , , &
- 2012. rgdal: Bindings for the Geospatial Data Abstaction Library. R package version 0.7–8 Available at http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=rgdal (accessed 15 March 2012). , , &
- 2010. Artificial night lighting affects dawn song, extra-pair success, and lay date in song birds. Curr. Biol. 20: 1735–1739. , , , &
- 1989. Edge effects in the use of area polygons to study competition. Ecology 70: 272–274. , &
- 2012. maptools: Tools for Reading and Handling Spatial Objects. R package version 0.8–14 Available at http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=maptools (accessed 20 February 2012). &
- 2002. Predicting home range use by Golden Eagles Aquila chrysaetos in western Scotland. Avian Sci. 2: 1–17. , , , &
- 2005. Bridging the gap between mechanistic and adaptive explanations of territory formation. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 57: 381–390. &
- 1984. Territory size, mating status, and individual survival of males in a fluctuating population of Willow Ptarmigan. Ornis Scand. 15: 197–203.
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. Vienna: R Foundation for Statistical Computing. ISBN 3-900051-07-0, Available at http://www.R-project.org/ (accessed 30 January 2012).
- 1977. Finding the edge of a Poisson forest. J. Appl. Probab. 14: 483–491. &
- 2008. Causes and consequences of breeding dispersal and divorce in a Blue Tit, Cyanistes caeruleus, population. Anim. Behav. 75: 1949–1963. &
- 2010. Is spatial autocorrelation an intrinsic property of territory size? Oecologia 162: 609–615. &
- 2006. Density effects on life-history traits in a wild population of the great tit Parus major: analyses of long-term data with GIS technique. J. Anim. Ecol. 75: 604–615. , , &
- 1997. Territory size in Lincoln's Sparrows (Melospiza lincolnii). Southwest. Nat. 42: 446–453.