Disclosures Over the past year, I have received an honorarium from Alliance Pharma for advice on creating a health-economic model for intravesical BCG. Over the past 5 years, I have received honoraria from Alliance Pharma and GE Healthcare for involvement in educational events including provision of lectures. GE Healthcare used to market hexvix® for use in photodynamic diagnosis of bladder cancer in the UK, but this is no longer the case.
Current perspectives in bladder cancer management
Article first published online: 9 NOV 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
International Journal of Clinical Practice
Volume 67, Issue 5, pages 435–448, May 2013
How to Cite
Griffiths, T. R. L. and on behalf of Action on Bladder Cancer (2013), Current perspectives in bladder cancer management. International Journal of Clinical Practice, 67: 435–448. doi: 10.1111/ijcp.12075
- Issue published online: 11 APR 2013
- Article first published online: 9 NOV 2012
- 2Cancer Research UK. Bladder cancer statistics – key facts. http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/cancerstats/keyfacts/bladder-cancer/ (accessed June 2012).
- 4Annual report to the nation on the status of cancer, 1975–2006, featuring colorectal cancer trends and impact of interventions (risk factors, screening, and treatment) to reduce future rates. Cancer2010; 116: 544–73., , et al.
- 7on behalf of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Screening for bladder cancer: US Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation Statement. Ann Intern Med2011; 155: 246–51.,
- 9British Association of Urological Surgeons, Section of Oncology. BAUS Cancer Registry, analyses of minimum data set for urological cancers, January to December 2009. October 2010. http://www.baus.org.uk/Resources/BAUS/Documents/PDF%20Documents/Data%20and%20Audit/2009finalanalyses.pdf (accessedJune 2012).
- 11Bilharziasis and bladder cancer: a time trend analysis of 9843 patients. J Egypt Natl Canc Inst2007; 19: 158–62., , , , .
- 13European Association of Urology Guidelines on muscle invasive and metastatic bladder cancer 2011. http://www.uroweb.org/gls/pdf/07_%20Bladder%20Cancer.pdf (accessed June 2012)., , , et al.
- 34Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and bladder cancer prevention. Br J Cancer2000; 87: 1364–9., , , , .
- 42Renal Association and British Association of Urological Surgeons. Joint consensus statement on the initial assessment of haematuria. July 2008. http://www.baus.org.uk/AboutBAUS/publications/haematuria-guidelines (accessed June 2012).
- 44Diagnosis, evaluation and follow-up of asymptomatic microhaematuria (AMH) in adults: AUA Guideline. http://www.auanet.org/content/media/asymptomatic_microhematuria_guideline.pdf (accessed October 2012), , , et al.
- 45Bacterial cystitis in women. Aust Fam Physician2010; 39: 295–8., , .
- 51National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. Referral guidelines for suspected cancer. http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/CG027publicinfo.pdf (accessed June 2012).
- 54Systematic review of the clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of photodynamic diagnosis and urine biomarkers (FISH, ImmunoCyt, NMP22) and cytology for the detection and follow-up of bladder cancer. Health Technol Assess2010; 14: 1–331, iii–iv., , et al.
- 59Fluorescence-guided transurethral resection of bladder tumours reduces bladder tumour recurrence due to less residual tumour tissue in Ta/T1 patients: a randomized two-centre study. BJU Int2011; 108(8 Pt 2): E297–303., , , , .
- 64Good quality white-light transurethral resection of bladder tumours (GQ-WLTURBT) with experienced surgeons performing complete resections and obtaining detrusor muscle reduces early recurrence in new non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer: validation across time and place and recommendation for benchmarking. BJU Int2012; 109: 1666–73., , et al.
- 66European Association of Urology Guidelines on non-muscle invasive bladder cancer (TaT1 and CIS) 2011. http://www.uroweb.org/gls/pdf/05_TaT1_Bladder_Cancer.pdf (accessed June 2012)., , , et al.
- 72Intravesical chemotherapy for maximum prophylaxis of new early phase superficial bladder carcinoma treated by transurethral resection: a combined analysis of trials by the Japanese Urological Cancer Research Group using smoothed hazard function. Cancer1999; 86: 1818–26., , , .
- 73A combined analysis of European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer, and Medical Research Council randomized clinical trials for the prophylactic treatment of stage TaT1 bladder cancer. European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Genitourinary Tract Cancer Cooperative Group and the Medical Research Council Working Party on Superficial Bladder Cancer. J Urol1996; 156: 1934–40., , et al.
- 77Long-term efficacy results of EORTC genito-urinary group randomized phase 3 study 30911 comparing intravesical instillations of epirubicin, bacillus Calmette-Guérin, and bacillus Calmette-Guérin plus isoniazid in patients with intermediate- and high-risk stage Ta T1 urothelial carcinoma of the bladder. Eur Urol2010; 57: 766–73., , et al.
- 78Bacillus Calmette-Guerin: one third dose versus full dose and one year versus three years of maintenance. Final results of an EORTC GU Cancers Group randomized trial in non muscle invasive bladder cancer. 27th Annual Congress of the European Association of Urology, February 2012. Abstract 1050., , et al.
- 89British Association of Urological Surgeons Section of Oncology. Prevention of bladder tumours after nephroureterectomy for primary upper urinary tract urothelial carcinoma: a prospective, multicentre, randomised clinical trial of a single postoperative dose of mitomycin C (the ODMIT-C trial). Eur Urol2011; 60: 703–10., , , , ,
- 103Long term survival outcome following radical cystectomy for TCC of the bladder – comparison between primary and salvage cystectomy. J Urol2009; 4(Suppl): 633. Abstract 1754., , , .
- 112International Collaboration of Trialists, Medical Research Council Advanced Bladder Cancer Working Party (now the National Cancer Research Institute Bladder Cancer Clinical Studies Group), the European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer Genito-urinary Tract Cancer Group et al.International phase III trial assessing neoadjuvant cisplatin, methotrexate, and vinblastine chemotherapy for muscle invasive bladder cancer; long-term results of the BA06 30894 Trial. J Clin Oncol2011; 29: 2171–7.
- 113Advanced Bladder Cancer (ABC) Meta-analysis collaboration. Neoadjuvant chemotherapy in invasive bladder cancer update of a systematic review and meta-analysis of individual patient data advanced bladder cancer (ABC) meta-analysis collaboration. Eur Urol2005; 48: 202–5.