Disclosures Markus A. Rose has received research funding and speaker's fees from Wyeth/Pfizer, Germany.
The burden of invasive pneumococcal disease in children with underlying risk factors in North America and Europe
Version of Record online: 19 JUL 2013
© 2013 The Authors. International Journal of Clinical Practice published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
International Journal of Clinical Practice
Volume 68, Issue 1, pages 8–19, January 2014
How to Cite
Rose, M. A., Christopoulou, D., Myint, T. T. H. and de Schutter, I. (2014), The burden of invasive pneumococcal disease in children with underlying risk factors in North America and Europe. International Journal of Clinical Practice, 68: 8–19. doi: 10.1111/ijcp.12234
Dina Christopoulou is an employee of Pfizer Ltd, UK.
Tin Tin Htar Myint is an employee of Pfizer Pharmaceuticals, France.
Iris de Schutter has been an invited speaker for Pfizer and has participated in advisory boards for GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals and Pfizer in the past 3 years.
Linked Comment: Stein. Int J Clin Pract 2014; 68: 2–3.
- Issue online: 17 DEC 2013
- Version of Record online: 19 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 1 MAR 2013
- 2World Health Organisation. Pneumococcal vaccines. WHO position paper - 2012. Wkly Epidemiol Rec 2012; 87: 129–44.
- 4Pneumococcal conjugate vaccination in Canadian infants and children younger than five years of age: recommendations and expected benefits. Can J Infect Dis Med Microbiol 2006; 17: 19–26., , , .
- 5Prevention of pneumococcal disease among infants and children - use of 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine and 23-valent pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine - recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR Recomm Rep 2010; 59: 1–18., .
- 6An advisory committee statement, National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI): update on the use of conjugate pneumococcal vaccines in childhood. Canadian Communicable Disease Report 2010. http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/ccdr-rmtc/10vol36/acs-12/acs-12-eng.pdf(accessed April 2013), , ,
- 10Burden of invasive pneumococcal disease and serotype distribution among Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates in young children in Europe: impact of the 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine and considerations for future conjugate vaccines. Int J Infect Dis 2010; 14: e197–209., , .
- 12GlaxoSmithKline UK. Synflorix Suspension for Injection in Pre-filled Syringe. Uxbridge: GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals SA, 2012.
- 13Pfizer Limited. Prevenar 13 Suspension for Injection. Sandwich: Pfizer Limited, 2012.
- 14European Medicines Agency. Prevenar 13. http://www ema europa eu/ema/index jsp?curl=pages/medicines/human/medicines/001104/smops/Positive/human_smop_000452 jsp&mid=WC0b01ac058001d127 2012 (accessed February 2013)
- 15Sanofi Pasteur MSD Limited. Pneumovax II. Maidenhead: Sanofi Pasteur MSD Limited, 2011.
- 16American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Infectious Diseases. Recommendations for the prevention of Streptococcus pneumoniae infections in infants and children: use of 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV13) and pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine (PPSV23). Pediatrics 2010; 126: 186–90.
- 17National Immunisation Advisory Committee. Pneumococcal infection. Immunisation Guidelines for Ireland. Dublin: Royal College of Physicians Ireland, 2010.
- 18Saxon State Ministry for Social Affairs and Consumer Protection. Empfehlungen der Sächsischen Impfkommission zur Durchführung von Schutzimpfungen im Freistaat Sachsen. Dresden: Saxon State Ministry for Social Affairs and Consumer Protection, 2012.
- 19Conseil Supérieur de la Santé. Enfants à risque accru d'infections invasives à pneumocoques. Guide de Vaccination. Brussels: Conseil Supérieur de la Santé, 2013.
- 31Bacterial meningitis among cochlear implant recipients–Canada, 2002. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2006; 55 (Suppl 1): 20–4., , .
- 59European Antimicrobial Resistance Surveillance System. EARSS Annual Report. Bilthoven: EARSS, 2008.
- 62General practitioners' experiences, attitudes, and opinions regarding the pneumococcal vaccination for adults: a qualitative study. Int J Gen Med 2012; 5: 967–74., , , .