Effectiveness and tolerability of second-line therapy with vildagliptin vs. other oral agents in type 2 diabetes: A real-life worldwide observational study (EDGE)
Article first published online: 21 AUG 2013
© 2013 The Authors. International Journal of Clinical Practice published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
International Journal of Clinical Practice
Volume 67, Issue 10, pages 947–956, October 2013
How to Cite
Mathieu, C., Barnett, A. H., Brath, H., Conget, I., de Castro, J. J., Göke, R., Márquez Rodriguez, E., Nilsson, P. M., Pagkalos, E., Penfornis, A., Schaper, N.C., Wangnoo, S. K., Kothny, W. and Bader, G. (2013), Effectiveness and tolerability of second-line therapy with vildagliptin vs. other oral agents in type 2 diabetes: A real-life worldwide observational study (EDGE). International Journal of Clinical Practice, 67: 947–956. doi: 10.1111/ijcp.12252
CM has received honoraria for lectures and/or advisory work from Novo Nordisk, sanofi-aventis, MSD, Eli Lilly, Novartis, BMS, AstraZeneca, Pfizer, J&J, and Mankind; her institution has received research support from Novo Nordisk, sanofi-avenis, MSD, Eli Lilly and Novartis. AHB has received honoraria for lectures and advisory work from Novartis, MSD, Boehinger-Ingleheim, Janssen Cilag, BMS/Astra-Zeneca, Novo Nordisk, Eli Lilly, Roche and sanofi-aventis. HB has received honoraria for lectures and advisory boards from all major diabetes companies, including Novartis, but has no specific conflict of interest relevant to the study. JJdC has received honoraria for advisory boards, consultancies and speakers bureaus from Bial, Bayer, BMS-Astra Zeneca, Boehringer-Ingelheim, Eli Lilly, Merck-Serono, Novartis, Novo Nordisk, and Recordati. IC has received honoraria and consulting fees as a member of scientific advisory board from Medtronic, Bayer, GSK, Eli Lilly, Novo Nordisk, sanofi-aventis, MSD and Novartis. RG has received honoraria for lectures. PMN has received honoraria for advisory boards and lectures from Novartis. AP has been on advisory boards for Novartis, Novo Nordisk, and sanofi-aventis has received compensation for development of educational materials from Abbott, Astra-Zeneca, BMS, J&J, MSD, Novartis, sanofi-aventis, Lilly and Boehringer-Ingelheim. He has travelled for and received expense reimbursement by MSD and sanofi-aventis. NCS and SKW declare no conflicts of interest. WK is an employee and shareholder of Novartis. GB is an employee of Novartis.
- Issue published online: 20 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 21 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 22 MAY 2013
- 9CPMP, EMEA. Guideline on Clinical Investigation of Medicinal Products in the Treatment or Prevention of Diabetes Mellitus. http://www.ema europa eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/Scientific_guideline/2012/06/WC500129256. pdf (accessed 06 June 2013).
- 10Food and Drug Administration. Guidance for Industry Diabetes Mellitus: developing Drugs and Therapeutic Biologics for Treatment and Prevention – Draft Guidance. www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/Guidances/ucn071624.pdf. (accessed 04 May 2013).
- 12National Institutes of Health. Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight Adults and Obesity in Adults. 1998. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/ob_gdlns.htm. (accessed 07 June 2013).
- 13Reducing bias in observational studies using subclassification on the propensity score. J Am Stat Assoc 1984; 79: 516–24., .
- 15IDF. Website of the International Diabetes Federation. www idf org 2013. (accessed 07 June 2013).
- 16Vildagliptin more effectively achieves a composite endpoint of HbA <7.0% without hypoglycaemia and weight gain compared with glimepiride after 2 years of treatment. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2013 Mar 25; doi:pii: S0168-8227(13)00089-2. 10.1016/j.diabres.2013.03.011. [Epub ahead of print]., , .
- 20A comparison of efficacy and safety of vildagliptin and gliclazide in combination with metformin in patients with Type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled with metformin alone: a 52-week, randomized study. Diabet Med 2010; 27: 318–26., .
- 21Vildagliptin in combination with pioglitazone improves glycaemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes failing thiazolidinedione monotherapy: a randomized, placebo-controlled study. Diabetes Obes Metab 2007; 9: 166–74., , et al.
- 23Quality of Diabetes Care in Italy: information From a Large Population-Based Multiregional Observatory (ARNO Diabetes). Diabetes Care 2012; 35: e64., , et al.
- 26An assessment of adverse effects of vildagliptin versus comparators on the liver, the pancreas, the immune system, the skin and in patients with impaired renal function from a large pooled database of Phase II and III clinical trials. Diabetes Obes Metab 2010; 12: 495–509., , et al.
- 28Assessing the general safety and tolerability of vildagliptin: value of pooled analyses from a large safety database versus evaluation of individual studies. Vasc Health Risk Manag 2011; 7: 49–57., , et al.