Disclosures All authors have completed the Unified Competing Interest form at www.icmje.org/coi_disclosure.pdf (available on request from the corresponding author) and declare: MR is an employee of Eli Lilly and Company; KSB and BC are employees and shareholders of Eli Lilly and Company; JMK, MRC and AM are employees of Evidera and declare support from Eli Lilly and Company for the submitted work; no other relationships or activities that could appear to have influenced the submitted work.
Rates and risk of hospitalisation among patients with type 2 diabetes: retrospective cohort study using the UK General Practice Research Database linked to English Hospital Episode Statistics
Article first published online: 23 SEP 2013
© 2013 Eli Lilly and Company. International Journal of Clinical Practice published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
International Journal of Clinical Practice
Volume 68, Issue 1, pages 40–48, January 2014
How to Cite
Khalid, J. M., Raluy-Callado, M., Curtis, B. H., Boye, K. S., Maguire, A. and Reaney, M. (2014), Rates and risk of hospitalisation among patients with type 2 diabetes: retrospective cohort study using the UK General Practice Research Database linked to English Hospital Episode Statistics. International Journal of Clinical Practice, 68: 40–48. doi: 10.1111/ijcp.12265
- Issue published online: 17 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 23 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 2 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 4 MAR 2013
- Eli Lilly and Company
- 1Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 16th edn. New York: McGraw-Hill Professional Publishers, 2004., , et al.
- 2Diabetes Research and clinical practice IDF Diabetes Atlas: International Diabetes Federation, Brussels. Australia; Belgium: Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute, 2011., , et al.
- 3Diabetes in the UK (April 2012) – Diabetes UK. http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Professionals/Publications-reports-and-resources/Reports-statistics-and-case-studies/Reports/Diabetes-in-the-UK-2012/ (accessed 29 June 2012).
- 4American Diabetes Association. Standards of medical care in diabetes–2012. Diabetes Care 2012; 35 (Suppl. 1): S11–63.
- 5The Diabetes Control and Complications Trial Research Group. The effect of intensive treatment of diabetes on the development and progression of long-term complications in insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. The Diabetes Control and Complications Trial Research Group. N Engl J Med 1993; 329: 977–86.
- 8Long-term results of the Kumamoto Study on optimal diabetes control in type 2 diabetic patients. Diabetes Care 2000; 23(Suppl. 2): B21–9., , et al.
- 13National Collaborating Centre for Chronic Conditions (UK). Type 2 Diabetes: National Clinical Guideline for Management in Primary and Secondary Care. London: Royal College of Physicians, 2008.
- 20Supporting people and integration with long term conditions: an NHS and Social Care Model to support local innovation. Department of Health, http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/documents/digitalasset/dh_4122574.pdf (accessed 20 June, 2012).
- 24Clinical Practice Research Datalink (CPRD), http://www.cprd.com/intro.asp (accessed 20 June, 2012).
- 26Hospital episode statistics, http://www.hesonline.nhs.uk (accessed 14 May, 2012).
- 27The history of the Read Codes: the inaugural James Read Memorial Lecture 2011. Inform Prim Care 2011; 19: 173–82..
- 29An Introduction to Survival Analysis Using Stata, 3rd edn. College Station, TX: Stata Press, 2010., , et al.
- 30Quality and Outcomes Framework (QOF). Department of Health, http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Primarycare/Primarycarecontracting/QOF/index.htm (accessed 20 June, 2012).
- 38Type of insulin and age are predictors of hospitalization due to severe hypoglycemia: the EpiHypo Study. Berlin, Germany: European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD), 2012., , et al.
- 46Economic cost of diabetes mellitus – Minnesota, 1988. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 1991; 40: 229–31., , .
- 47NICE. Preventing type 2 diabetes: risk identification and interventions for individuals at high risk. Issued: July 2012, NICE public health guidance 38.