Disclosure None of the authors have received any financial compensation for participating in the survey or writing this publication. Gilles Karsenty has been consultant and investigator for Allergan, Ipsen and Porgès Coloplast.
Technical aspects of botulinum toxin type A injection in the bladder to treat urinary incontinence: reviewing the procedure
Version of Record online: 29 JAN 2014
© 2014 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
International Journal of Clinical Practice
Volume 68, Issue 6, pages 731–742, June 2014
How to Cite
Karsenty, G., Baverstock, R., Carlson, K., Diaz, D. C., Cruz, F., Dmochowski, R., Fulford, S., Giannantoni, A., Heesakkers, J., Kaufmann, A., Peyrat, L., Thavaseelan, J. and Dasgupta, P. (2014), Technical aspects of botulinum toxin type A injection in the bladder to treat urinary incontinence: reviewing the procedure. International Journal of Clinical Practice, 68: 731–742. doi: 10.1111/ijcp.12360
- Issue online: 18 MAY 2014
- Version of Record online: 29 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: AUG 2013
- 5European Association of Urology. Guidelines on neurogenic lower urinary tract dysfunction, 2011. http://www.uroweb.org/gls/pdf/17_Neurogenic%20LUTS.pdf (accessed June 2011)..
- 8Botulinum toxin injections for adults with overactive bladder syndrome. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2011; 7(12): CD005493., , , , .
- 9A double blind, placebo controlled, randomised, cross over study of trigone specific injections of botulinum toxin B for treating patients with idiopathic detrusor overactivity refractory to other conservative treatments (Abstract number 209). Neurourol Urodyn 2009; 28(7): 833–4., , , , .
- 10Botox® Summary of Product Characteristics. Irvine CA: Allergan, 2013.
- 13OnabotulinumtoxinA 100 U significantly improves all idiopathic overactive bladder symptoms and quality of life in patients with overactive bladder and urinary incontinence: a randomised, double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Eur Urol 2013; 64(2): 249–56., , et al.
- 15VESITOX Study Group in France. Efficacy and safety of low doses of onabotulinumtoxinA for the treatment of refractory idiopathic overactive bladder: a multicentre, double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled dose-ranging study. Eur Urol 2012; 61(3): 520–9., , et al.;
- 21Quality of life changes in patients with neurogenic versus idiopathic detrusor overactivity after intradetrusor injections of botulinum neurotoxin type A and correlations with lower urinary tract symptoms and urodynamic changes. Eur Urol 2006; 49(3): 528–35., , , , , .
- 22A randomised, double-blind, placebo controlled trial of botulinum toxin type A injections for the treatment of refractory idiopathic detrusor overactivity. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 2007; 18(Suppl. 1): S77., .
- 25Intravesical botulinum type A toxin injection in patients with overactive bladder: trigone versus trigone-sparing injection. Can J Urol 2006; 13(5): 3291–5., , , , .
- 33Efficacy of botulinum toxin type A (BOTOX) in the management of the neurogenic bladder: a prospective, randomised, double blind, dose comparative trial – interim overview of results. Br J Urol 2005; 95(Suppl. 1):4–5., , , .
- 35Botulinum toxin type A for the treatment of urinary tract dysfunction in neurological disorders. Urol Nurs. 2010; 30(4): 228–234., .