Practice nurses and cervical screening: A two-country review
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2013
© 2013 Wiley Publishing Asia Pty Ltd
International Journal of Nursing Practice
Volume 20, Issue 1, pages 53–59, February 2014
How to Cite
Holmes, C., Mills, J. and Chamberlain-Salaun, J. (2014), Practice nurses and cervical screening: A two-country review. International Journal of Nursing Practice, 20: 53–59. doi: 10.1111/ijn.12121
- Issue published online: 28 FEB 2014
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: OCT 2012
- 2NHS Cervical Screening Programme. NHS cervical screening programme statistics. Available from URL: http://www.cancerscreening.nhs.uk/cervical/about-cervical-screening.html. Accessed 14 June 2013.
- 3NHS Cervical Screening Programme. NHSCSP: Cervical screening; a pocket guide, 2004. Available from URL: http://www.cancerscreening.nhs.uk/cervical/publications/in-03-2003.html. Accessed 14 June 2013.
- 7Skill mix development in general practice: A mixed method study of practice nurses and general practitioners. Faculty of Medicine. Glasgow: University of Glasgow, 2008..
- 8Australian Government. Department of Health and Ageing. National Cervical Screening Program. Canberra, 2011.
- 10General Practice Nursing in Australia. Canberra: Royal Australian College of General Practitioners and Royal College of Nursing Australia, 2004., , , , , .
- 11Practice nursing in Australia: Research Paper No. 10, 2007–08. Canberra: Parliament of Australia, 2007..
- 12Charting new roles for Australian general practice nurses: Abridged report of the Australian General Practice Nurses Study. Canberra: Australian Primary Health Care Institute, 2008., , et al.
- 13Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW). Cervical Screening in Australia 2006–2007. Canberra: AIHW, 2009.
- 14Hanging from a String in the Wind: Development of a National Framework for Mentoring for Nurses in General Practice. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia, 2005., , , .
- 16Well women in general practice. In: Walker L , Wong W , Young D (eds). General Practice Nursing. North Ryde, NSW, Australia: McGraw Hill Australia, 2010; 300–316., .
- 17Consumer Perceptions of Nursing and Nurses in General Practice. Adelaide: Centre for Research into Nursing and Health Care, University of South Australia, 2002., , , , , .
- 18Australian consumers' expectations for expanded nursing roles in general practice: Choice not gatekeeping. Australian Family Physician 2004; 33: 845–848., , , , .
- 20General Practice Activity in Australia 2009–10. Canberra: AIHW, 2010., , et al.
- 21Enhancing the roles of practice nurses: Outcomes of cervical screening education and training in NSW. Australian Journal of Advanced Nursing 2009–2010; 27: 40–45., .
- 22The changing role of practice nurses in Australia: An action research study. Australian Journal of Advanced Nursing 2008; 26: 16–20., .
- 23Renegotiating roles as part of developing collaborative practice: Australian nurses in general practice and cervical screening. Journal of Multidisciplinary Healthcare 2008; 1: 35–43., .
- 24Fairwell to the handmaiden? Profile of nurses in Australian general practice. Australian Journal of Advanced Nursing 2009; 27: 48–58., .
- 25Australian General Practice Network. National Practice Nurse Workforce Survey Report 2009. Canberra: Australian General Practice Network, 2009.
- 29Practice nurses and integrated care examined. Primary Health Care Research & Development 2002; 31: 11–21., , .
- 30Seeing patients first: Creating an opportunity for practice nurse care? Journal of Primary Health Care 2010; 2: 136–141., , , .
- 31Developing a business case for an enhanced practice nurse role under the Practice Nurse Incentive Program (PNIP). Prepared for the Australian Practice Nurse Association (APNA) by Julian King & Associates Limited. Auckland, 2011., , .