Conflict of interest: None declared.
Reducing recurrent stroke: Methodology of the motivational interviewing in stroke (MIST) randomized clinical trial
Article first published online: 27 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. International Journal of Stroke © 2013 World Stroke Organization
International Journal of Stroke
Special Issue: Global Stroke Statistics Edition
Volume 9, Issue 1, pages 133–139, January 2014
How to Cite
Krishnamurthi, R., Witt, E., Barker-Collo, S., McPherson, K., Davis-Martin, K., Bennett, D., Rush, E., Suh, F., Starkey, N., Parag, V., Rathnasabapathy, Y., Jones, A., Brown, P., Te Ao, B., Feigin, V. L. and ARCOS IV Programme Group (2014), Reducing recurrent stroke: Methodology of the motivational interviewing in stroke (MIST) randomized clinical trial. International Journal of Stroke, 9: 133–139. doi: 10.1111/ijs.12107
- Issue published online: 19 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 27 OCT 2013
- Health Research Council of New Zealand
- 4Risk of recurrent stroke, other vascular events and dementia after transient ischaemic attack and stroke. Cerebrovasc Dis [Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't Review]. 2009; 27(Suppl. 3):1–11., , , .
- 10Guidelines for prevention of stroke in patients with ischemic stroke or transient ischemic attack: a statement for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Council on Stroke: co-sponsored by the Council on Cardiovascular Radiology and Intervention: the American Academy of Neurology affirms the value of this guideline. Circulation [Practice Guideline]. 2006; 113:e409–449., , et al.
- 11Treatment of hypertension: guidelines from JNC 7 (the seventh report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure 1). J Pract Nurs 2005; 55:17–21; quiz 2–3..
- 18Randomised controlled trial of follow up care in general practice of patients with myocardial infarction and angina: final results of the Southampton heart integrated care project (SHIP). The SHIP Collaborative Group. BMJ [Clinical Trial Randomized Controlled Trial Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't]. 1999; 318:706–711., , et al.
- 23The effectiveness of secondary prevention lifestyle interventions designed to change lifestyle behavior following stroke: summary of a systematic review. Int J Stroke [Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't Review]. 2012; 7:243–247., , , .
- 26Sabaté E (ed.). Adherence to Long-Term Therapies: Evidence for Action. Geneva, Switzerland, World Health Organization, 2003.
- 27Life after Stroke. New Zealand Guideline for Management of Stroke. Wellington, Stroke Foundation New Zealand Inc., 2003..
- 28Learning ‘The Motivational Interview’ in a simple way. Ugeskr Laeger 2008; 170:39–43., , .
- 29Motivational interview and scales used to assess the degree of motivation for treatment in drug abuse patients. Rev Psiquiatr Clín 2005; 32:330–335., .
- 30The motivational interview as a tool for encouraging lifestyle changes in people with chronic non transmittable diseases. Av Piscol Clin Latinonot 2007; 25:63–82., .
- 32Motivational Interviewing: Preparing People to Change Addictive Behavior. New York, NY, The Guilford Press, 1991., .
- 33Health Behavior Change: A Guide for Practitioners. New York, NY, Churchill Livingstone, 2000., , .
- 42Motivational Interviewing: Preparing People for Change, 2nd edn. New York, Guilford Press, 2002., .
- 44Life after stroke [abstract]: multi-centre trial of psychosocial interventions after stroke. Cerebrovasc Dis 2003; 16(Suppl. 4):70., , , , .
- 48The efficacy of a scheduled telephone intervention for ameliorating depressive symptoms during the first year after traumatic brain injury. J Head Trauma Rehabil [Randomized Controlled Trial Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't]. 2009; 24:230–238., , et al.
- 49A controlled trial of nurse counselling on lifestyle change for hypertensives treated in general practice: preliminary results. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol [Clinical Trial Randomized Controlled Trial Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't]. 1995; 22:466–468., , , , , .
- 50Prescribing medication versus promoting behavioural change: a trial of the use of lifestyle management to replace drug treatment of hypertension in general practice. Behav Change 1994; 11:177–185., , , , , .
- 53Methodology of a population-based stroke and TIA incidence and outcomes study: the Auckland Regional Community Stroke Study (ARCOS IV) 2011–2012. Int J Stroke 2013; DOI: 10.1111/ijs.12108., , et al.
- 56SF-36 Physical and Mental Health Summary Scales: A Users Manual. Boston, The Health Institute, New England Medical Centre, 1994., , .