Funding: Professor Thorsten Steiner has received honoraria from Boehringer, Bayer, and BMS–Pfizer. Professor Bo Norrving has acted as consultant for Bayer HealthCare, Servier, Syngis, Daichii Sankyo and Allergan, and has received royalties for a book published by Karolinska University Press. Professor Graeme Hankey has received honoraria for serving on the executive committees of the AMADEUS trial (Sanofi-Aventis), ROCKET AF trial (Johnson & Johnson), and the BOREALIS trial (Sanofi-Aventis), and the stroke outcome adjudication committee of the RE–LY and AVERROES trials. He has also received honoraria from Bayer, Boehringer Ingelheim, and Pfizer Australia for speaking at sponsored scientific symposia and consulting on advisory boards. Professor Werner Hacke has received honoraria from Bayer Schering for his role on the ROCKET AF executive committee, and for contributions to educational symposia and participation in advisory boards. He also receives honoraria for participation on advisory boards organized by Daiichi Sankyo.
Management of acute stroke in patients taking novel oral anticoagulants
Version of Record online: 2 JUN 2014
© 2014 The Authors. International Journal of Stroke published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd on behalf of World Stroke Organization.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
International Journal of Stroke
Volume 9, Issue 5, pages 627–632, July 2014
How to Cite
Hankey, G. J., Norrving, B., Hacke, W. and Steiner, T. (2014), Management of acute stroke in patients taking novel oral anticoagulants. International Journal of Stroke, 9: 627–632. doi: 10.1111/ijs.12295
- Issue online: 9 JUN 2014
- Version of Record online: 2 JUN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 APR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 30 JAN 2014
- Boehringer, Bayer
- Bayer, Boehringer Ingelheim
- Pfizer Australia
- Bayer Schering
- 1Boehringer Ingelheim International GmbH 2013. Pradaxa® (dabigatran etexilate) summary of product characteristics. Available at http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Product_Information/human/000829/WC500041059.pdf (accessed 15 January 2014).
- 2Bristol-Myers Squibb, Pfizer EEIG 2013. Eliquis® (apixaban) summary of product characteristics. Available at http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Product_Information/human/002148/WC500107728.pdf (accessed 15 January 2014).
- 3Bayer Pharma AG 2013. Xarelto® (rivaroxaban) summary of product characteristics. Available at http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Product_Information/human/000944/WC500057108.pdf (accessed 13 August 2013).
- 11Boehringer Ingelheim International GmbH 2011. Actilyse® (Alteplase) summary of product characteristics. Available at http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/308#PRODUCTINFO (accessed 22 August 2013).
- 32Aniara Corporation 2013. Rivaroxaban (Xarelto®) testing. Available at http://www.rivaroxabantesting.com/ (accessed 7 August 2013).
- 33Aniara Corporation 2013. Dabigatran (Pradaxa) testing. Available at http://www.dabigatrantesting.com/ (accessed 7 August 2013).
- 34Stago BNL 2013. TECHNOVIEW Rivaroxaban CAL High Set (0–500 ng/ml). Available at http://www.stago-bnl.com/en/product/hemostasis/reference_control_plasmas/1462/technoview_rivaroxaban_cal_high_set_0_500_ng_ml (accessed 7 August 2013).
- 35Stago 2013. STA®-Rivaroxaban Calibrator & STA®-Rivaroxaban Control (marqué CE). Available at http://www.stago.com/en/products-services/new-products/detail/article/staR-rivaroxaban-calibrator-staR-rivaroxaban-control-ce-marked/ (accessed 8 May 2014).
- 36Technoclone GmbH 2013. Rivaroxaban CAL. Available at http://www.technoclone.com/products/coagulation/calibration-plasma/rivaroxaban-cal (accessed 7 August 2013).
- 50Frequency and risk factors for spontaneous hemorrhagic transformation of cerebral infarction. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 2004; 13:235–246., , et al.
- 60Guidelines for the management of spontaneous intracerebral hemorrhage in adults: 2007 update: a guideline from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Stroke Council, High Blood Pressure Research Council, and the Quality of Care and Outcomes in Research Interdisciplinary Working Group. Circulation 2007; 116:e391–413., , et al.