Recruiting High Skill Labour in North America: Policies, Outcomes and Futures
Article first published online: 14 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Author. International Migration © 2013 IOM
Special Issue: SKILLED IMMIGRATION TRENDS
Volume 52, Issue 3, pages 40–54, June 2014
How to Cite
Boyd, M. (2014), Recruiting High Skill Labour in North America: Policies, Outcomes and Futures. International Migration, 52: 40–54. doi: 10.1111/imig.12139
- Issue published online: 15 MAY 2014
- Article first published online: 14 NOV 2013
- 2003 “Immigration Policy and the Skills of Immigrants to Australia, Canada and the United States”, Journal of Human Resources, 38(1): 192–218. , et al.
- 2011 “Waiting and more waiting: America's family and employment-based immigration system”, NFAP Policy Brief. October. Washington DC: National Foundation for American Policy, http://www.nfap.com/pdf/WAITING_NFAP_Policy_Brief_ October_2011 (accessed 10 October 2013). .
- 2007 “Immigrant professionals in the United States”, Society, 44(2): 26–31. and
- 1993 “Immigration Policy, National Origin, and Immigrant Skills: A Comparison of Canada and the United States”, in D. Card and R. Freeman (Eds), Small Differences That Matter: Labor Markets and Income Maintenance in Canada and the United States. University of Chicago Press, Chicago: 21–44.
- 1976 “Immigration policies and trends: a comparison of Canada and the United States”, Demography, 13(1): 83–104.
- 2012 “Managing international migration: the Canadian case”, in D. Rodriguez-Garcia (Ed), Managing Immigration and Diversity in Canada: A Transatlantic Dialogue in the New Age of Migration. McGill-Queen's University Press, Montreal: 119–146. and
- 1986 “Temporary workers in Canada: a multifaceted phenomenon”, International Migration Review, 20: 929–950. , and
- 1994 “U.S. Immigration and policy responses: the limits of legislation”, in W.A. Cornelius, P.L. Martin and J.F. Hollifield (Eds), Controlling Immigration: A Global Perspective. Stanford University Press, Stanford: 55–82.
- 2011 “Canada's immigration policy: a focus on human capital”, Washington DC: Migration Policy Institute, Migration Information Source. http://www.migrationinformation.org/feature/display.cfm?ID=853 (accessed 10 October 2013). .
- Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) 2010a Annual Report to Parliament 2010: Section 1, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/ publications/annual-report2010/section1.asp. (accessed 10 October 2013).
- 2010b “ Facts and figures 2010: immigration overview – permanent and temporary residents”, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/statistics/facts2010/index.asp. (accessed 10 October 2013).
- Government of Canada 2012a “Regulations Amending the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations” The Gazette. Part I: Notices and Proposed Regulations 146(33), August 18.
- 2012b “Working temporarily in Canada: Jobs that require a work permit but no labour market opinion.” June 11. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-permit.asp. (accessed 10 October 2013).
- 2009 “The battle for the brains: why immigration policy is not enough to attract the highly skilled”, Brussels Forum Paper Series March. Washington DC: German Marshall Fund. http://dare.uva.nl/document/186515. (accessed 10 October 2013). ., et al.
- 2007 “Benchmarking Canada's performance in the global competition for mobile talent”, Canadian Public Policy, 33(1): 63–84. and
- 1999 “The economic goals of Canada's immigration policy: past and present”, Canadian Public Policy/Analyse de Politiques, 25(4): 425–451. and
- 1995 “A Comparison of Canadian and US Immigration Policy in the Twentieth Century”, in D.J. DeVoretz (Ed), Diminishing Returns: the economics of Canada's recent immigration policy C. D. Howe Institute, Toronto.
- Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) 2011 The National Occupational Classification 2011 (NOC 2011), http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2011/pdf/Printable_NOC2011_version_E.pdf. (accessed 10 October 2013).
- 2012a Labour Market Opinion, April 12, http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_ workers/ei_tfw/lmi_tfw.shtml. (accessed 10 October 2013).
- 2012b Temporary Foreign Worker, February 5, http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/fwp_forms.shtml (accessed 10 October 2013).
- 1971 “Effects of the immigration act of 1965 on selected population characteristics of immigrants to the United States”, Demography, 8(2): 157–169.
- 2010 The Making of the Mosaic: A History of Canadian Immigration Policy. University of Toronto Press, Toronto. and
- 2011 “Profile of provincial nominee program (PNP) immigrants to Canada, 1996-2009”, TIEDI Analytical Report 26. http://www.yorku.ca/tiedi/doc/AnalyticalReport26.pdf (accessed 10 October 2013). et. al.
- 2002 The Canadian Polity: a comparative introduction, 6th edn.. Prentice Hall, Toronto.
- 2010 “A long view of America's immigration policy and the supply of foreign-born STEM workers in the United States”, American Behavioral Scientist, 53(7): 1029–1044. .
- 1998 Parting at the Crossroads: the emergence of health insurance in the United States and Canada. Princeton University Press, Princeton.
- 2011 A Nation of Immigrants. Cambridge University Press, New York.
- 2009 “Missing the point(s): The declining fortunes of Canada's economic immigration program”, Transatlantic Academy Paper Series April 2009, http://www.gmfus.org/wpcontent/blogs.dir/1/files_mf/galleries/ct_publication_attachments/TA_OShea_CandadaEconImmigrationProgram.pdf. (accessed 10 October 2013). .
- 2011 Rethinking Points Systems and Employer Selected Immigration. Migration Policy Institute, Washington DC. and
- 2002 “US and Canadian Immigration Policies”, Commentary 171 November. C. D, Howe Institute, Toronto.
- 2011 US Immigration Policy since 9/11: Understanding the Stalemate over Comprehensive Immigration Reform. Migration Policy Institute, Washington DC.
- 2003 Breaking the Bargain: Public Servants. University of Toronto Press, Toronto, Ministers and Parliament.
- 2010 Power: Where is it?. McGill-Queen's University Press, Montreal.
- 2002 Dividing Lines: the politics of immigration control. Princeton University, Princeton.
- United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) 2013 “H-1B fiscal year (FY) 2014 Cap season”, http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=4b7cdd1d5fd37210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=73566811264a3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD (accessed 10 October 2013).
- 2012“U. S. Immigration Policy on Permanent Admissions”, Congressional Research Service Report for Congress, http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/homesec/RL32235.pdf. (accessed 10 October 2013). .
- 2006 A Nation by Design: immigration policy in the fashioning of America. Russell Sage and Harvard University, New York.