Migration, Precarization and the Democratic Deficit in Global Governance
Version of Record online: 23 JUL 2014
© 2014 The Authors International Migration published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd on behalf of International Organization for Migration
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Volume 53, Issue 3, pages 50–63, June 2015
How to Cite
Schierup, C.-U., Ålund, A. and Likić-Brborić, B. (2015), Migration, Precarization and the Democratic Deficit in Global Governance. International Migration, 53: 50–63. doi: 10.1111/imig.12171
- Issue online: 27 MAY 2015
- Version of Record online: 23 JUL 2014
- Swedish Council for Health
- Working Life and Welfare (FORTE)
- Swedish Research Council
- 2010 “Migration, immigration controls and the fashioning of precarious worker”, Work, Employment and Society, 24(2): 300–17.
- 2005 Understanding Migration in Russia. A Policy Note, PRECARIAT, CEFIR Policy Paper series, No., Moscow: New Economic School , and
- 2007 Migrant and contract labour in global production systems: Addressing decent work for the most vulnerable workers. Paper prepared for the Living on the Margins Conference, Stellenbosch, 26-28 March .
- 2008 “Constructing Grassroots Citizenship for Non-Citizens”, Peace Review: A Journal of Social Justice, 20(3): 265–72.
- 2006 Labor Movement: How Migration Regulates Labor. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2000 The Brave New World of Work. Polity, New York.
- 2007 “Twilight of Sovereignty or the Emergence of Cosmopolitan Norms? Rethinking Citizenship in Volatile Times”, Citizenship Studies, 11(1): 19–36.
- 2010 “The refugee regime complex”, Refugee Survey Quarterly, 29(1): 12–37.
- 2010 “Democracy in Global Governance: The Promises and Pitfalls of Transnational Actors”, Global Governance, 16: 81–101. , , and
- 2011 “Precarity in Russia and labour and employment markets transformation', in Herrmann Peter, and Sibel Kalaycioglu (Eds) Precarity. More than a Challenge of Social Security. Or: Cynicism of EU's Concept of Economic Freedom, Bremen: Europäischer Hochschulverlag: 160–80 , , and
- 2005 “ ‘Velkom tu Hell’: Precariat Moscow”Ephemera , and
- 1963 Travail et travailleurs en Algérie. Mouton et Co, Paris.
- 2013 “A Bogus Concept. Review of Guy Standing, The Precariat: The New Dangerous Class”, New Left Review, 84, November-December: 130–138 .
- 2003 “For a sociological Marxism. The Complementary Convergence of Antonio Gramsci and Karl Polanyi”, Politics and Society, 31(2): 193–261.
- 2006 Public Sociology vs. the Market. Public address, Tsinghua University, Beijing.
- 2010 “Polanyi to Pollyanna: The False Optimism of Global Labor Studies”, Global Labour Studies, 1(2): 301–13.
- 2011 “Mobilization of irregular migrants in Europe: a comparative analysis”, Ethnic and Racial Studies, 34(8): 1338–56.
- Choundry, A., and D. Kapoor (Eds.) 2010 Learning from the ground up, Global perspective on socialo movements and knovledge production. Palgrave Macmillan, New York.
- 2012 “Blogs review: The Gold Standard and the Euro”, PRECARIAT, Bruegel Economic Blogs Review, http://www.bruegel.org/blog/detail/article/725-blogs-review-the-gold-standard-and-the-euro .
- 2010 “Knowledge & Power in South Africa: Xenophobia and survival in the post-apartheid state”, in A. Choudry and D. Kapoor (Eds.), Global Perspectives on Social Movements and Knowledge Production: Learning from the ground up. Palgrave MacMillan, New York. , and
- Ehrenreich, B., and A. Hochschild (Eds.) 2002 Global Woman: Nanies, Maids, and Sex Workers in the New Economy. Metropolitan Books, New York.
- Engblom, S. (Ed.) 2011 Labour migration, trade in services, equal treatment, and the role of the EU. Stockholm: Global Utmaning.
- 2005 “MAYDAY MAYDAY: euro flex workers, time to get a move on!” EIPCP multilingual webjournal http://www.republicart.net, ISSN 1811 - 1696 .
- 2013 Disciplining the Transnational Mobility of People, , and
- 2011 “Caught in the Work-Citizenship Matrix: The Lasting Effects of Precarious Legal Status on Work for Toronto Immigrants”, Globalizations, 8(3). , and
- 1997 Selections from the prison notebooks, Q. Hoare and G. Nowell Smith (Eds and translators), International publ, New York. .
- 2005 A Brief History of Neoliberalism. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2010 The Enigma of Capital and the Crises of Capitalism. Profile Books, London.
- 2009 “Citizenship in Flux: The Figure of the Activist Citizen”, Subjectivity, 29: 367–88.
- 2010 “Unionism in One Country is no Longer an Option. A Response to Michael Burawoy's ‘From Polanyi to Pollyanna: The False Optimism of Global Labour Studies’”, Global Labour Journal, 1(3): 387–92.
- 2012 2010 Asymmetric Governance, Labour Standards, and Migrants’ Rights. A Transatlantic Perspective on Migration, ‘Decent Work’, and the Role of Civil Society in Fair Globalisation, Themes on Ethnic and Migration Studies No. 40, Norrköping: REMESO , and
- Lutz, H. (Ed.) 2008 Migration and Domestic Work. A European Pespective on a Global Theme, Ashgate, Aldershot.
- 1997 “From the Positive to the Regulatory State: Causes and Consequences of Changes in the Mode of Governance”, Journal of Public Policy, 17(2): 139–67.
- 2011 “Immigrant Workers, Precarious Work and the US Labor Movement”, Globalizations, 8(3).
- 1996 “Conclusion”, in E. Mingione (Ed.), Urban Poverty and the Underclass. A reader. Blackwells, Oxford: 372–83.
- 2012 “A New Dangerous Class” Arena .
- 2010 The Last Utopia: Human Rights in History. London and Cambridge, Belknap.
- 2011 “Beyond North and South: Migration, informalization, and trade union revitalization”, The Journal of Labour and Society, 14(1): 5–18.
- 2013 “Red Cross: Europe must be ready for popular uprisings”, PRECARIAT, 12160 Social Network, http://12160.info/forum/topics/red-cross-europe-must-be-ready-for-popular-uprisings?page=1&commentId=2649739%3AComment%3A1083938&x=1#2649739Comment1083938 .
- 2012 “Introduction: Making the Connections Between Migration and Development”, in I. Omelaniuk (Ed.), Global Perspectives on Migration and Development. GFMD Puerto Vallarta and Beyond, Springer, London & Heidelberg.
- 2012 “Swedish trade unionism: A renewed social movement?”, Economic and industrial democrazy, 33(4): 621–47. , , and
- PGA 2010 Statement of the People's Global Action on Migration, Development and Human Rights. Peoples’ Global Action on Migration and Development, Mexico City.
- 2014 “[forthcoming] ‘Global Migration Governance, Social Movements and the Difficulties of Promoting Migrant Rights’”, in C.U. Schierup, et al. (Eds.), Migration, Precarity and Global Governance. Challenges for Labour (preliminary title), Oxford University Press, Oxford. , and
- 1957  The Great Transformation: The Political and Economic Origins of Our Time. Beacon Press, Boston.
- 1991 Labor, Class, and the International System. Praeger, New York. , and
- 2011 “Europe and social precarity – Proactive elements for system interventions”, in P Herrmann and S. Kalaycioglu (Eds) Precarity. More than a Challenge of Social Security. Or: Cynicism of EU's Concept of Economic Freedom, Europäischer Hochschulverlag, Bremen. .
- 2013 “A tale of two tactics: Civil Society and Competing Visions of Global Migration Governance from Below”, in M. Geiger and A. Pécoud (Eds.), Disciplining the Transnational Mobility of People. Macmillan, Houndmills.
- 2006 Territory, Authority, Rights: From Medieval to Global Assemblages. Princeton University Press, Princeton.
- 2012 “Beyond Marikana: The Post-Apartheid South African State”, Africa Spectrum, 47(2–3): 33–62.
- 2013 “Countermovement of the precariat? Migration, labour market restructuring and the space for civil society in global governance” PowerPoint University of Zacatecas. Unidad Académia en Estudios del Desarollo, Zacatecas, 14 February ., and
- 2006 Migration. A European Dilemma, Oxford University Press, Oxford, Citizenship and the European Welfare State. , , and
- 2013 “Från ‘fattigdom’ till ‘exkludering’ … till ‘prekarisering’. Om migration och social utsatthet”, in M. Dahlstedt and A. Neergaard (Eds.), Migrationens och etnicitetens epok: Nyckelbegrepp inom internationell migration och etniska relationer. Liber, Stockholm: 230–60. , , and
- 2011 “South African Immigration Policy in the Postapartheid Period (1990–2010)”, in A. Segatti and L.B. Landau (Eds.), Contemporary Migration to South Africa: A Regional Development Issue. The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development /The World Bank, Washington.
- 2010 “The Political Economy of Informalization”, European Societies, 12(1): 1–21.
- 1994 The Limits of Citizenship: Migrants and Postnational Membership in Europe. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 2007 “Labor, recommodification in the global transformation”, in A. Bugra and K. Agartan (Eds.), Reading Karl Polanyi for the Twenty-First Century,: Palgrave Macmillan. Houndmills and New York.
- 2011 The Precariat. The New Dangerous Class, Bloomsbury Academic, London.
- 2014 A Precariat Charter:From Denizens to Citizens. Bloomsbury Academic, London.
- 2012 “Neoliberal Globalization and the Politics of Migration in Sub-Saharan Africa”, Journal of International and Global Studies, 4(1): 1–16.
- 2012 “Is Migration Feminized? A Gender- and Ethnicity-Based Review of the Literature on Irregular Migration to Turkey” University of Ankara. [In Press} , and
- 2013 Circular Migration between Europe and its Neighbourhood. Choice or Necessity?, Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2008 “Globalisation and Migrant Labor in a Rainbow Nation: a fortress South Africa?”, Third World Quarterly, 29(7): 1323–39. , , and
- 2007 Imperceptible Politics. Rethinking Radical Politics of Migration and Precarity Today. Dissertation, Hamburg: University of Hamburg
- 2008 “A Place and Space for a Critical Geography of Precarity?”, Geography Compass, 3(1): 412–33.
- 2007 “The Networked Internationalism of Labour's Others: A Suitable Case for Treatment”, PRECARIAT, ILOhersLinz2007.doc, http://www.choike.org/documentos/waterman2008/07labour.pdf
- 2008 Grounding Globalization. Labour in the Age of Insecurity, Blackwell, Oxford. , , and
- 2011 “The growth and organisation of a precariat: working in the clothing industry in johannesburg's inner city”, ICDD Research Cluster 4.2. Work, Livelihood and Economic Security in the 21 century 3rd Workshop Johannesburg, May 2011 , and
- World Economic Forum 2012 Global Risks, Jan 2012: World Economic Forum
- 2009 Managing the Margins. Gender, Citizenship, and the International Regulation of Precarious Employment, Oxford University Press, Oxford. . (Ed.)