Immigrant Employment Success in Canada: Examining the Rate of Obtaining a Job Match
Article first published online: 18 MAR 2013
© 2013 by the Center for Migration Studies of New York
International Migration Review
Volume 47, Issue 1, pages 76–105, Spring 2013
How to Cite
Frank, K. (2013), Immigrant Employment Success in Canada: Examining the Rate of Obtaining a Job Match. International Migration Review, 47: 76–105. doi: 10.1111/imre.12014
- Issue published online: 18 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 18 MAR 2013
- 2005 The Discounting of Immigrants' Skills in Canada: Evidence and Policy Recommendations. Institute for Research on Public Policy Discussion Paper 11(2):1–26. , , and
- 1984 Event History Analysis: Regression for Longitudinal Event Data. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage Publications.
- 2008 Impact of Canadian Post-Secondary Education on Recent Immigrants' Labour Market Outcomes. Ottawa, ON: Citizenship and Immigration Canada, Research and Evaluation. , , and
- 2003 Labour Market Outcomes of Immigrant and Racial Minority Graduates in Canada. CERIS – The Ontario Metropolis Centre Working Paper No.23. Toronto, ON: CERIS. , , and
- 2005 “Explaining the Deteriorating Entry Earnings of Canada's Immigrant Cohorts: 1966–2000.” Canadian Journal of Economics 30(2):641–671. , and
- 1998 “Devaluation of Foreign Credentials as Perceived by Visible Minority Professional Immigrants.” Canadian Ethnic Studies 30(3):6–23. , and
- 2003 “‘Brain Abuse’, or the Devaluation of Immigrant Labour in Canada.” Antipode 35(4):699–717.
- 2008 Immigrants and the Hinterlands. Perspectives on Labour and Income. Catalogue No. 75-001-X. Ottawa, ON: Statistics Canada. Pp. 5–14.
- 1995 “The Changing Labour Market Position of Canadian Immigrants.” The Canadian Journal of Economics 28(4):987–1005. , , and
- 2007 “Re-Accreditation and the Occupations of Immigrant Doctors and Engineers.” Canadian Social Trends. Winter:2–10. , and
- 2001 “Match or Mismatch? The Employment of Immigrant Engineers in Canada's Labor Force.” Population Research and Policy Review 20:107–133. , and
- 2002 “Skilled Immigrant Labour: Country of Origin and the Occupational Locations of Male Engineers.” Canadian Studies in Population 29(1):71–99. , and
- 1964 “Institutional Completeness of Ethnic Communities and the Personal Relations of Immigrants.” The American Journal of Sociology 70:193–205.
- 2005 “A Longitudinal Analysis of Immigrant Occupational Mobility: A Test of the Immigrant Assimilation Hypothesis.” International Migration Review 39(2):332–352. , , and
- 2003 “The Complementarity of Language and Other Human Capital: Immigrant Earnings in Canada.” Economics of Education Review 22:469–480. , and
- 2005 Longitudinal Survey of Immigrants to Canada: Progress and Challenges of New Immigrants in the Workforce. Social and Aboriginal Statistics Division Catalogue No. 89-615-XIE. Ottawa, ON: Statistics Canada. , and
- 2003 “Earnings of Immigrants in the 1990s.” Canadian Social Trends. Autumn: 24–28. , and
- 2004 An Introduction to Survival Analysis Using Stata: Revised Edition. College Station, TX: Stata Press. , , and
- 2008 Immigration in the Long Run: The Education and Earnings Mobility of Second- Generation Canadians. Institute for Research on Public Policy Paper 14(13):2–29.
- 1972 “Regression Models and Life Tables.” Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series B. 34:187–202.
- 2011 “Does Occupational Status Matter? Examining Immigrants' Employment in their Intended Occupations.” Canadian Studies in Population 38(1–2):115–134.
- 2003 Will They Ever Converge? Earnings of Immigrant and Canadian-Born Workers Over the Last Two Decades. Catalogue No. 11F0019MIE, Issue 215. Ottawa, ON: Statistics Canada. , and
- 2008 Immigrants' Education and Required Job Skills. Perspectives on Labour and Income. Catalogue No. 75-001-X. Ottawa, ON: Statistics Canada. , and
- 2009 Working in a Regulated Occupation in Canada: An Immigrant and Native-Born Comparison. Working Paper No. 44. Canadian Labour Market and Skills Researcher Network. <http://www.clsrn.econ.ubc.ca/workingpapers/CLSRN%20Working%20Paper%20no.%2044%20-%20Girard%20and%20Smith.pdf>. Accessed on February 25, 2012. , and
- 2009 The Economic Return on New Immigrants' Human Capital: The Impact of Occupational Matching. Working Paper No. 21. Canadian Labour Market and Skills Researcher Network. <http://www.clsrn.econ.ubc.ca/workingpapers/CLSRN%20Working%20Paper%20no.%2021%20-%20Goldmann,%20Warman,%20Sweetman.pdf>. Accessed on February 25, 2012. , , and
- 1995 “Intended and Actual Occupations of Immigrants”. In Diminishing Returns: The Economics of Canada's Recent Immigration Policy. Ed. D. J. DeVoretz. Toronto, ON: C.D. Howe Institute. Pp. 331–365.
- 2007 Knowledge of Official Languages Among New Immigrants: How Important is it in the Labour Market? Catalogue No. 89-615-XIE. Ottawa, ON: Statistics Canada.
- 2007 “Revisiting Equity and Labour: Immigration, Gender, Minority Status, and Income Differentials in Canada”. In Race and Racism in 21st Century Canada: Continuity, Complexity, and Change. Ed. S. P. Hier, and B. S. Bolaria. Peterborough: Broadview Press. Pp. 89–109. , and
- 1986 Class Tells: On Social Inequality in Canada, 2nd ed. Toronto, ON: Butterworths.
- 2004 “Last Hired, First Fired? The Unemployment Dynamics of Male Immigrants in Germany.” European Sociological Review 20(5):445–461.
- 2000 “Earning Disparities Between Immigrants and Native-Born Canadians.” The Canadian Review of Sociology and Anthropology 37(3):289–311.
- 2001 “The Market Worth of Immigrants' Educational Credentials.” Canadian Public Policy 27(1):23–38.
- 2003 “Initial Earnings and Catch-Up Capacity of Immigrants.” Canadian Public Policy 29(3):319–337.
- 2008 “The Role of Foreign Credentials and Ethnic Ties in Immigrants' Economic Performance.” Canadian Journal of Sociology 33(2):291–310.
- 2004 “Gender, Work and Migration: Deskilling Chinese Immigrant Women in Canada.” Women's Studies International Forum 27:135–148.
- 1988 Barriers to Recognition of the Credentials of Immigrants in Canada. Ottawa, ON: Institute for Research on Public Policy.
- 2003 “Changing Income Inequality and Immigration in Canada, 1980–1995.” Canadian Public Policy 29(1):33–51. , and
- 2001 “Understanding the Diversity of Immigrant Incorporation: A Forms-of- Capital Model.” Ethnic and Racial Studies 24(3):386–411. , and
- 2007 “Secondary Migration of Immigrants to Canada: An Analysis of LSIC Wave 1 Data.” The Canadian Geographer 51(1):58–71.
- 1979 Marxism and Class Theory: A Bourgeois Critique. London: Tavistock.
- 2000 “Ethnicity and Earnings.” In Immigrants and the Labour Force: Policy, Regulation, and Impact. Ed. R. Pendakur. Montreal: McGill-Queen's University Press. Pp. 159–191. , and
- 2004 “The Deteriorating Economic Welfare of Canadian Immigrants.” Canadian Journal of Urban Research 13(1):25–46.
- 2007 Chronic Low Income and Low-income Dynamics Among Recent Immigrants. Catalogue No. 11F0019MIE – No. 294. Ottawa, ON: Statistics Canada. , , and
- 2001 Immigrant Skill Utilization in the Canadian Labour Market: Implications of Human Capital Research. <http://www.utoronto.ca/ethnicstudies/Reitz_Skill.pdf>. Accessed on February 25, 2012.
- 2003 Occupational Dimensions of Immigrant Credential Assessment: Trends in Professional, Managerial and Other Occupations, 1970–1996. <http://www.utoronto.ca/ethnicstudies/occupational.pdf>. Accessed on February 25, 2012.
- 2004 Social Risks for Newcomers to Canada: Issues Respecting the Role of Government in Ontario. Panel on the Role of Government in Ontario Research Paper 11. <http://www.ontla.on.ca/library/repository/mon/8000/244164.pdf>. Accessed on February 25, 2012.
- 2006 Recent Trends in the Integration of Immigrants in the Canadian Labour Market: A Multi-Disciplinary Synthesis of Research. <http://www.utoronto.ca/ethnicstudies/trends.pdf>. Accessed on February 25, 2012.
- 1990 Job Queues, Gender Queues: Explaining Women's Inroads into Male Occupations. Philadelphia, PA: Temple University Press. , and
- 1967 Post-war Immigrants in Canada. Toronto, ON: University of Toronto Press.
- 1980 Factors in the Adjustment of Immigrants and Their Descendants. Catalogue No. 99-761E. Ottawa, ON: Statistics Canada. , and
- 2007 “Immigrants' Perspectives on their First Four Years in Canada: Highlights from Three Waves of the Longitudinal Survey of Immigrants to Canada.” Canadian Social Trends. April: 1–34. , and
- Stata Software 2003 Stata Statistical Software: Release 8. College Station, TX: StataCorp LP.
- Statistics Canada 2006 Micro-Data User Guide: Longitudinal Survey of Immigrants to Canada, Wave 2. Special Surveys Division.
- Statistics Canada 2007 “Study: Impact of Immigration on Labour Markets in Canada, Mexico and the United States”. The Daily. Friday, May 25.
- 2000 Immigrant Occupational Skill Outcomes and the Role of Region-of-Origin- Specific Human Capital. Applied Research Branch, Catalogue No. W-00-8E. Ottawa, ON: Statistics Canada.
- 2006 Longitudinal Survey of Immigrants to Canada: A Regional Perspective of the Labour Market. Social and Aboriginal Statistics Division, Catalogue No. 89-616-XIE. Ottawa, ON: Statistics Canada. , and
- 2001 “Cracking Monopoly: Immigrants and Employment in Finland.” Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies 27(3):421–438.
- 1968 The Theory of Social and Economic Organization. Translated by A.M. Henderson and T. Parsons. New York: The Free Press.
- 1978 Economy and Society. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
- 2002 “Why do some occupations pay more than others? Social closure and Earnings Inequality in the United States.” American Journal of Sociology 108(1):55–101.
- 2008 Social Capital and Employment Entry of Recent Immigrants to Canada: Evidence from the Longitudinal Survey of Immigrants to Canada. Ottawa, ON: Citizenship and Immigration Canada, Research and Evaluation.
- 1992 “Ethnicity and Occupational Inequality: A Reconsideration.” The Alberta Journal of Educational Research 38(3):205–218. , and
- 2005 “Training and the Earnings of Immigrant Males: Evidence from the Canadian Workplace and Employee Survey.” Social Science Quarterly 86:1218–1241. , and