The Geography and Spatial Sciences Program at the National Sciences Foundation funded this research through award 0961232. The Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development provided additional support through awards 5R24HD042828 and 5T32HD007543.
The Great Recession and the Allure of New Immigrant Destinations in the United States†
Article first published online: 25 MAR 2014
© 2014 by the Center for Migration Studies of New York. All rights reserved.
International Migration Review
Volume 48, Issue 1, pages 3–33, Spring 2014
How to Cite
Ellis, M., Wright, R. and Townley, M. (2014), The Great Recession and the Allure of New Immigrant Destinations in the United States. International Migration Review, 48: 3–33. doi: 10.1111/imre.12058
- Issue published online: 25 MAR 2014
- Article first published online: 25 MAR 2014
- 2011 “California Shrugged: Fountainhead of the Great Recession.” Cambridge Journal of Regions Economy and Society 4(3):303–322. , and
- 1982 The Deindustrialization of America. New York: Basic Books. , and
- 2006 “Native Internal Migration and the Labor Market Impact of Immigration.” Journal of Human Resources 41(2):221–258.
- 1989 “Family and Personal Networks in International Migration: Recent Developments and New Agendas.” International Migration Review 23(3):638–670.
- 2000 “Do Immigrant Inflows Lead to Native Outflows?” American Economic Review 90(2):360–367. , and
- 2005 The Diffusion of Mexican Immigrants During the 1990s: Explanations and Impacts. National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper Series No. 11552. http://www.nber.org/papers/w11552 (last accessed 12 January 2009). , and .
- 2011 “It is not Just the Economy: Declining Migration and the Rise of Secular Rootedness.” Population, Space and Place 17(3):193–203.
- 2005 Guarding the Golden Door: American Immigration Policy and Immigrants Since 1882. New York: Hill & Wang.
- 2007 “New Destinations: Mexican Immigration in the United States, Edited by Victor Zuniga and Ruben Hernandez-Leon.” American Journal of Sociology 112(4):1271.
- 1993 “Atlantic and Pacific Coasts' Labor Markets Hit Hard in Early 1990's.” Monthly Labor Review 116:32. , , and
- 2006 “1.5 Generation Internal Migration in the US: Dispersion From States of Immigration?” International Migration Review 40(4):899–926. , and
- 2010 “The Labor Market in the Great Recession.” Brookings Papers on Economic Activity Spring:1–48. , , and
- 2009 “How the Crash Will Reshape America.” The Atlantic. http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2009/03/how-the-crash-will-reshape-america/307293/. Accessed on October 29, 2013.
- 2006 “Pandora's Box: The Potential and Peril of Migration Data From the American Community Survey.” International Regional Science Review 29(3):231–246. , and
- 2013 “The Creative Class and the Crisis.” Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society 6(1):37–53. , , and
- 1994 “The 1990-91 Recession: How Bad Was the Labor Market.” Monthly Labor Review 117:3.
- 2000 Movin' Out: Domestic Migration to and From California in the 1990s. San Francisco: Public Policy Institute of California.
- 2008 Immigrants Outside Megalopolis: Ethnic Transformation in the Heartland. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books.
- 2011 “Moving Up in Rural America: Economic Attainment of Nonmetro Latino Immigrants.” Rural Sociology 76(1):101–128. , , and
- 2010 Interstate Migration Has Fallen Less Than You Think: Consequences of Hot Deck Imputation in the Current Population Survey. National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper Series No. 16536. http://www.nber.org/papers/w16536 (last accessed 27 March 2011). , and .
- 2011 “Will They Stay? Foreign-Born Out-Migration From New U.S. Destinations.” Population Research and Policy Review 30(4):537–567. , , and
- 2008 “The Structure and Dynamics of Mexican Migration to New Destinations in the United States.” In New Faces in New Places: The Changing Geography of American Immigration. Ed. D. S. Massey. New York: Russell Sage Foundation Publications. , and
- 2007 “Countervailing Immigration and Domestic Migration in Gateway Cities: Australian and Canadian Variations on an American Theme.” Economic Geography 83(3):231–254.
- 2009 Ethnoburb: The new Ethnic Community in Urban America. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press. .
- 2006 Deflecting Immigration: Networks, Markets, and Regulation in Los Angeles. New York: Russell Sage Foundation Publications.
- 2011 Lessons From the 2007 Legal Arizona Workers Act. San Francisco: Public Policy Institute of California. , , and
- 1991 The Rise of the Gunbelt: The Military Remapping of Industrial America. New York: Oxford University Press. , , and
- 2011 New Destination Dreaming: Immigration, Race, and Legal Status in the Rural American South, 1st edn. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.
- 2008 New Faces in New Places: The Changing Geography of American Immigration. New York: Russell Sage Foundation Publications.
- 2009 Testimony. Testimony Before the Senate Judiciary Committee. http://www.judiciary.senate.gov/hearings/testimony.cfm?id=e655f9e2809e5476862f735da149ad69&wit_id=e655f9e2809e5476862f735da149ad69-2-4 (last accessed 10 April 2012).
- 2008 “The Geographic Diversification of American Immigration.” In New Faces in new Places: The Changing Geography of American Immigration. Ed. Massey, D. S.. New York: Russell Sage Foundation Publications, Pp. 25–50. , and
- 1994 “Continuities in Transnational Migration: An Analysis of Nineteen Mexican Communities.” American Journal of Sociology 99(6):1492–1533. , , and
- 2010 Operation Gatekeeper and Beyond: The war on” Illegals” and the Remaking of the US-Mexico Boundary. New York: Routledge.
- 1999 “Internal Migration of the Foreign-Born: Population Concentration or Dispersion?” Population & Environment 20(3):259–276.
- 1994 “Return and Onward Interprovincial Migration Through Economic Boom and Bust in Canada, From 1976–81 to 1981–86.” Geographical Analysis 26(3):228–245. , and
- 2001 “Social Capital and International Migration: A Test Using Information on Family Networks.” American Journal of Sociology 106(5):1262–1298. et al.
- 2009 Immigrants and the Current Economic Crisis. Washington, DC: Migration Policy Institute. , and
- 2011 “Residential Segregation in Metropolitan Established Immigrant Gateways and new Destinations, 1990–2000.” Social Science Research 40(3):811–821. , and
- 2012 “Immigration Enforcement Policies, the Economic Recession, and the Size of Local Mexican Immigrant Populations.” The ANNALS of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 641(1):16–37.
- 2009 Mexican Immigrants: How Many Come? How Many Leave? Pew Hispanic Center. http://pewhispanic.org/reports/report.php?ReportID=112 (last accessed 1 August 2009). , and .
- 2011 U.S. Unauthorized Immigration Flows Are Down Sharply Since Mid-Decade | Pew Hispanic Center. Pew Hispanic Center. http://www.pewhispanic.org/2010/09/01/us-unauthorized-immigration-flows-are-down-sharply-since-mid-decade/ (last accessed 3 April 2012). , and
- 1994 “The wax and Wane of Interstate Migration Patterns in the USA in the 1980s: A Demographic Effectiveness Field Perspective.” Environment and Planning A 26:1545–1561.
- 2009 Mexican Data Show Migration to U.S. in Decline. The New York Times 15 May. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/15/us/15immig.html?scp=1&sq=Mexican%20Data%20Show%20Migration%20to%20U.S.%20in%20Decline&st=cse (last accessed 1 August 2009).
- 2011 “Declining Return Migration From the United States to Mexico in the Late-2000s Recession: A Research Note.” Demography 48(3):1049–1058. , , and
- 1996 Life after cutbacks: tracking California\x92s aerospace workers. Santa Monica, CA: Rand. , , and .
- 2004 The Rise of new Immigrant Gateways. Washington: Brookings Institution.
- 2008 Twenty-First Century Gateways: Immigrant Incorporation in Suburban America. Washington, DC: Brookings Institution Press. , , and (eds.)
- 2000 “Net Migration and Migration Effectiveness: A Comparison Between Australia and the United Kingdom, 1976–96 – Part 1: Total Migration Patterns.” Journal of Population Research 17(1):17–38. et al.
- 1973 Migration and Economic Growth: A Study of Great Britain and the Atlantic Economy. London: Cambridge University Press.
- US Department of Homeland Security. 2010 Yearbook of Immigration Statistics. http://www.dhs.gov/files/statistics/publications/yearbook.shtm (last accessed 3 April 2012).
- 2010 “The Influence of Booms and Busts in the US Economy on the Interstate Migration System.” Growth and Change 41(1):115–135.
- 2013 “Unauthorized Immigration to the United States: Annual Estimates and Components of Change, by State, 1990 to 2010.” International Migration Review 47(2):296–329. , and
- 2005 “Changing Politics of Race and Region: Latino Migration to the US South.” Progress in Human Geography 29(6):683–699.
- 1996 “Immigrants and the Changing Ethnic-Racial Division of Labor in New York City, 1970—1990.” Urban Geography 17:317–353. , and
- 1997 “Nativity, Ethnicity, and the Evolution of the Intra-Urban Division of Labor in Metropolitan Los Angeles, 1970–90.” Urban Geography 18:243–263. , and
- 1997 “The Linkage Between Immigration and Internal Migration in Large Metropolitan Areas in the United States.” Economic Geography 73(2):234–254. , , and
- 2006 New Destinations: Mexican Immigration in the United States. New York: Russell Sage Foundation Publications. , and .