The modifying effect of the building envelope on population exposure to PM2.5 from outdoor sources
Version of Record online: 10 MAY 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Indoor Air Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 24, Issue 6, pages 639–651, December 2014
How to Cite
Taylor, J., Shrubsole, C., Davies, M., Biddulph, P., Das, P., Hamilton, I., Vardoulakis, S., Mavrogianni, A., Jones, B. and Oikonomou, E. (2014), The modifying effect of the building envelope on population exposure to PM2.5 from outdoor sources. Indoor Air, 24: 639–651. doi: 10.1111/ina.12116
- Issue online: 7 NOV 2014
- Version of Record online: 10 MAY 2014
- Accepted manuscript online: 9 APR 2014 01:53AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 APR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 17 DEC 2013
- Natural Environment Research Council. Grant Number: NE/I007938/1
- AIVC (1994) An Analysis and Data Summary of the AIVC's Numerical Database, Coventry, UK, Air Infiltration and Ventilation Centre (AIVC).
- 2013) Long-term exposure to outdoor air pollution and incidence of cardiovascular diseases, Epidemiology, 24, 44–53. , , , , and (
- BRE (2009) SAP: The Government's Standard Assessment Procedure for Energy Rating of Dwellings, Watford, UK, Building Research Establishment.
- 2011) Review of relationship between indoor and outdoor particles: I/O ratio, infiltration factor and penetration factor, Atmos. Environ., 45, 275–288. and (
- 2012) Indoor exposure to “outdoor PM10”: assessing its influence on the relationship between PM10 and short-term mortality in U.S. cities, Epidemiology, 23, 870–878. , and (
- CIBSE (2006) Environmental Design, London, UK, Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers.
- CIBSE (2013) The Limits of Thermal Comfort: Avoiding Overheating in European Buildings, London, UK, Chartered Institute of Building Engineers.
- 2005) The global burden of disease due to outdoor air pollution, J. Toxicol. Environ. Health Part A, 68, 1301–1307. , , , , , , , , , and (
- 2013) Multi-objective methods for determining optimal ventilation rates in dwellings, Build. Environ., 66, 72–81. , , , , , , , and (
- DCLG (2008) English Housing Survey 2008, London, UK, Department for Communities and Local Government.
- DECC (2011) Warm Front, London, UK, Department of Energy and Climate Change.
- DEFRA (2011) 2010 Based Background Maps for PM2.5, London, UK, Department for Environmental Food and Rural Affairs.
- DEFRA (2013) Report: Fine Particulate Matter (PM2.5) in the United Kingdom, London, UK, Department for Environmental Food and Rural Affairs.
- 2005) Ventilation, Air Tightness, and Indoor Air Quality in New Homes, Watford, UK, Building Research Establishment (BRE). , , , , , , , and (
- 1988) Inhabitants behaviour with respect to ventilation, Coventry, UK, Rapport IEA Annex 8. (
- 2011) On the creation of future probabilistic design weather years from UKCP09, Build. Serv. Eng. Res. Technol., 32, 127–142. , and (
- 2005) Modeling the IAQ Impact of HHI Interventions in Inner-city Housing, Gaithersburg, MD, USA, National Institute of Standards and Technology. , and (
- ESRI (2013) ArcGIS 10.1. Redlands, CA, USA, ESRI.
- 2012) Occupants' window opening behaviour: a literature review of factors influencing occupant behaviour and models, Build. Environ., 58, 188–198. , , and (
- 2012) Simulating indoor concentrations of NO2 and PM2.5 in multifamily housing for use in health-based intervention modeling, Indoor Air, 22, 12–23. , and (
- 2002) Indoor air quality in smoking and non-smoking households. In: Levin, H. (ed.) Proceedings of 9th International Conference on Indoor Air Quality and Climate, Vol. 2, Monterey, CA, International Academy of Indoor Air Sciences, 512–517. , , , and (
- GG (2013) National Building Class Database, Cambridge, UK, The Geoinformation Group.
- 2011) Seasonal patterns of outdoor PM infiltration into indoor environments: review and meta-analysis of available studies from different climatological zones in Europe, Air Qual. Atmos. Health, 4, 221–233. , , , , , , , , , and (
- 2008) Indoor–outdoor relationships of particle number and mass in four European cities, Atmos. Environ., 42, 156–169. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and (
- the Warm Front Study Group (2004) The impact of energy efficient refurbishment on the airtightness in English dwellings. In: AIVC. (ed.) 25th AVIC Conference, Prague, Czech Republic, Air Infiltration and Ventilation Centre, 7–12. , , and
- 2000) Indoor/outdoor relationships of particulate matter in domestic homes with roadside, urban and rural locations, Atmos. Environ., 34, 2603–2612. , , and (
- 2013) The effect of party wall permeability on estimations of infiltration from air leakage, Int. J. Vent., 12, 17–29. , , , , , , , , and (
- 2000) Spatial variations in the concentrations of traffic-related pollutants in indoor and outdoor air in Huddersfield, England, Atmos. Environ., 34, 905–916. , , , and (
- 2010) Activity pattern and personal exposure to nitrogen dioxide in indoor and outdoor microenvironments, Environ. Int., 36, 36–45. , , and (
- 2004) Personal exposures and microenvironment concentrations of PM2.5, VOC, NO2, and CO in Oxford, UK, Atmos. Environ., 38, 6399–6410. , , , , , , , , , , and (
- 2006) Determinants of indoor air concentrations of PM2.5, black smoke and NO2 in six European cities (EXPOLIS Study), Atmos. Environ., 40, 1299–1313. , , , , , , , and (
- London Air (2014) Average Air Quality in London, London, UK, Kings College London.
- 2001) Using time- and size-resolved particulate data to quantify indoor penetration and deposition behaviour, Environ. Sci. Technol., 35, 2089–2099. , , and (
- 2012) Building characteristics as determinants of propensity to high indoor summer temperatures in London dwellings, Build. Environ., 55, 117–130. , , , and (
- 2010) Report on Estimation of Mortality Impacts of Particulate Air Pollution in London, London, UK, Institute of Occupational Medicine (IOM). (
- 2011) Modelling inhalation exposure to combustion-related air pollutants in residential buildings: application to health impact assessment, Environ. Int., 37, 268–279. , , and (
- 2005) Personal exposure and indoor PM2.5 concentrations in an urban population, Indoor Built Environ., 14, 313–320. (
- 2013) Particulate pollution in different housing types in a UK suburban location, Sci. Total Environ., 445, 165–176. and (
- 2012) Modelling the relative importance of the urban heat island and the thermal quality of dwellings for overheating in London, Build. Environ., 57, 223–238. , , , , and (
- OS (2013) Address Point, Southampton, UK, Ordnance Survey.
- 2007) Indoor air quality in homes of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med., 176, 465–472. , , , , , and (
- 2006) A Collection of Homes to Represent the US Housing Stock, Washington, DC, USA, National Institute of Standards and Technology. , and (
- PHE (2013) Public Health Outcomes Framework Tool, London, UK, Public Health England.
- SAS Institute (2013) SAS Software: Version 9.3. Cary, NC, USA, SAS Institute.
- 2012) Indoor PM2.5 exposure in London's domestic stock: modelling current and future exposures following energy efficient refurbishment, Atmos. Environ., 62, 336–343. , , , , , , , and (
- 2000) Airtightness in UK Dwellings, Watford, UK, Building Research Establishment. (
- 2013) Simulation of pollution transport in buildings: the importance of taking into account dynamic thermal effects, Building Serv. Eng. Res. Technol., 0, 1–9. , , , , and (
- 2013) Long-term exposure to air pollution is associated with survival following acute coronary syndrome, Eur. Heart J., 34, 1306–1311. and (
- UK Data Service (2013) UK Postcode Boundary Data, London, UK, EDINA.
- US-DOE (2013) EnergyPlus V8, Washington, DC, USA, United States Department of Energy.
- 2008) Impact and uncertainty of a traffic management intervention: population exposure to polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, Sci. Total Environ., 394, 244–251. , , , and (
- 1980) Ventilation measurements in housing, Building Research Establishment Report PD117/80, Watford, UK, BRE. and (
- 2013) Characterisation of particulate matter sampled during a study of children's personal exposure to airborne particulate matter in a UK urban environment, Environ. Monit. Assess., 65, 69–77. , , and (
- 2013) The spatial and temporal variation of particulate matter within the home, J. Expo. Anal. Environ. Epidemiol., 10, 307–314. , and (
- 2000) Estimating separately personal exposure to ambient and nonambient particulate matter for epidemiology and risk assessment: why and how, J. Air Waste Manag. Assoc., 50, 1167–1183. , and (