Evaluation of the indoor air quality minimum ventilation rate procedure for use in California retail buildings
Article first published online: 25 JUN 2014
Published 2014. This article is a U.S. Government work and is in the public domain in the USA.
Volume 25, Issue 1, pages 93–104, February 2015
How to Cite
Dutton, S. M., Mendell, M. J., Chan, W. R., Barrios, M., Sidheswaran, M. A., Sullivan, D. P., Eliseeva, E. A. and Fisk, W. J. (2015), Evaluation of the indoor air quality minimum ventilation rate procedure for use in California retail buildings. Indoor Air, 25: 93–104. doi: 10.1111/ina.12125
- Issue published online: 16 JAN 2015
- Article first published online: 25 JUN 2014
- Accepted manuscript online: 9 MAY 2014 06:32AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Received: 30 DEC 2013
- California Energy Commission Public Interest Energy Research Program
- Energy-Related Environmental Research Program. Grant Number: DE-AC03-05CH11231
- U.S. Department of Energy and the University of California
- 2013), Balancing energy conservation and occupant needs in ventilation rate standards for “Big Box” stores in California: predicted indoor air quality and energy consumption using a matrix of ventilation scenarios, LBNL-5551E. , , , , and (
- ASHRAE (1997) Measuring Air Change Effectiveness (ANSI Approved), Atlanta, GA, American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (Standard 129)
- ASHRAE (2010) Ventilation for Acceptable Indoor Air Quality, Atlanta, GA, American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air Conditioning Engineers (ANSI/ASHRAE Standard 62.1-2010)
- ASTM E 741 (2006) Standard Test Method for Determining Air Change in A Single zone by Means of A Tracer Gas Dilution, West Conshohocken, PA, USA, ASTM.
- ATSDR (2013) Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, Atlanta, GA. Minimum risk levels. July 2013. Web site: http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/mrls/index.asp.
- 2009) Assessment of the Energy Impacts of Outside Air in the Commercial Sector, Golden CO, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, NREL/TP-550-41955. , , , , and (
- 2011) Indoor environmental quality and HVAC survey of small and medium size commercial buildings, California Energy Commission publication CEC-500-2011-043.Table 45 SMCB: Distribution of Outdoor Concentrations of VOCs Across All Buildings [95th percentile]). , , , , , and (
- 2013) Applications of the standard 62.1-2007 indoor air quality procedure to retail stores, ASHRAE Trans., 119, DE-13-024. , , , and (
- 2009) Can we trust odor databases? Example of t- and n-butyl acetate, Atmos. Environ., 43, 2591–2601. and (
- California Energy Commission (2008) 2008 Building Energy Efficiency Standards for Residential and Nonresidential Buildings, Sacramentom, CA, California Energy Commission. CEC-400-2008-001-CMF.
- CARB (2012) CARB's Statewide Annual Toxic Summaries, California Air Resources Board http://www.arb.ca.gov/adam/toxics/statesubstance.html.
- Census (2009) 2007 Economic Census, Washington, DC, U.S. Census Bureau.
- 2012) Contaminant levels and source strengths in U.S. retail stores–a pilot study. Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Healthy Buildings 2012, Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre, Brisbane, Queensland, 8–12 July 2012. , , , and (
- 1995) Relative sensitivity of the ocular trigeminal, nasal trigeminal and olfactory systems to airborne chemicals, Chem. Senses, 20, 191–198. and (
- 2000) Psychophysical and behavioral characteristics of olfactory adaptation, Chem. Senses, 25, 487–492. (
- 2013) Evaluation of the indoor air quality procedure for use in retail buildings. Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory report LBNL-6079E , , , , , and (
- 1988) Introduction of the olf and the decipol units to quantify air pollution perceived by humans indoors and outdoors, Energy Build., 12, 1–6. (
- 2007) Can sorbent-based gas phase air cleaning for VOCs substitute for ventilation in commercial buildings? Proceedings of IAQ 2007, Healthy and Sustainable Buildings, Atlanta, American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air Conditioning Engineers. (
- 1999)Ventilation requirements in a retail store, AIVC 20th Conference and Indoor Air 99, the 8th International Conference on Indoor Air Quality and Climate, UK, Garston, BRE, 1999, 8–13 August 1999, , , and (
- 2003) Classification of measured indoor volatile organic compounds based on noncancer health and comfort considerations. Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory Report LBNL-53308. and (
- Itron (2006) California Commercial End-Use Survey, Scaramento, CA, Consultant Report prepared for Califonria Energy Commission.
- 2001) The National Human Activity Pattern Survey (NHAPS): a resource for assessing exposure to environmental pollutants, J. Expo. Anal. Environ. Epidemiol., 11, 231–252. , , , , , , , and (
- 1993) Measurement of odor threshold by triangle odor bag method. In: Odor measurement review. Tokyo, Office of Odor, Noise and Vibration, Environmental Management Bureau, Ministry of Environment, 118–127. (
- NIOSH (2014) National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health, viewed 2014, web site, http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/idlh/50000.HTML
- OEHHA (2008) Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment, CA. All OEHHA Acute, 8-hour and chronic reference exposure levels (chRELs) October 2008. Web site: http://www.oehha.ca.gov/air/allrels.html
- 2011) Ventilation relevant contaminants of concern in commercial buildings screening process and results, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory report LBNL-6118E. , and (
- 2012) Modeling indoor exposures to VOCs and SVOCs as ventilation rates vary, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory report LBNL-5548E. , , and (
- 1985) A quantitative estimate of the accuracy of tracer gas methods for the determination of the ventilation flow rate in buildings, Build. Environ., 20.3, 139–150. and (
- 2004) Summary of human responses to ventilation, Indoor Air, 14, 102–118. and (
- 2006) Does Haber's law apply to human sensory irritation? Inhal. toxicol., 18, 457–471. , and (
- 2011) Ventilation rates and health: multidisciplinary review of the scientific literature, Indoor Air, 21, 191–204. , , , , , , , , , , , , and (
- U.S. EPA (1984) Method for the determination of volatile organic compounds in ambient air using Tenax® desorption and gas chromatography/mass spectrometry, United States Environmental Protection Agency Method TO 1.
- U.S. EPA (1999) Determination of volatile organic compounds in ambient air using active sampling onto sorbent tubes, United States Environmental Protection Agency Method TO 17.
- U.S. EPA (2014) IRIS. Integrated Risk Information System, Washington, DC, Office of Research and Development, National Center for Environmental Assessment, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, U.S. EPA IRIS web site: http://www.epa.gov/IRIS/
- World Health Organization (2010) Formaldehyde, Concise International Chemical Assessment, Document 40, Geneva, Switzerland, World Health Organization.