The study received no specific grant from any funding agency in the public, commercial or not-for-profit sectors.
Maternal and Child Health
Skin-to-skin contact: multicultural perspectives on birth fluids and birth ‘dirt’
Article first published online: 9 APR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. International Nursing Review published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd on behalf of International Council of Nurses.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
International Nursing Review
Volume 61, Issue 2, pages 270–277, June 2014
How to Cite
Finigan, V. and Long, T. (2014), Skin-to-skin contact: multicultural perspectives on birth fluids and birth ‘dirt’. International Nursing Review, 61: 270–277. doi: 10.1111/inr.12100
No conflict of interest has been declared by the authors.
- Issue published online: 19 MAY 2014
- Article first published online: 9 APR 2014
- 2008) Early Intervention: Good Parents, Great Kids, Better Citizens. The Centre for Social Justice and the Smith Institute. Available at: http://www.centreforsocialjustice.org.uk/client/downloads/EarlyInterventionpaperFINAL.pdf (accessed 23 December 2013). & (
- 1994) Hermeneutic phenomenology: a methodology for family health and health promotion study in nursing. In Interpretive Phenomenology, Embodiment, Caring and Ethics in Health and Illness ( Benner, P. , ed.). Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA, pp. 71–72. (
- 2008) Parenting Starts at Birth (Video presentation). Kangaroo Mother Care. Available at: http://www.kangaroomothercare.com/talks.aspx (accessed 23 December 2013). (
- 2007) Pollution: midwives defiling South Asian women. In Exploring the Dirty Side of Women's Health ( Kirkham, M. , ed.). Routledge, New York, pp. 60–71. (
- 1995) Bonding theory-tying mothers in knots? A critical review of the application of a theory to nursing. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 2 (4), 207–211. (
- 2008) Perceptions among post delivery mothers of skin-to-skin contact and newborn baby care in peri-urban hospital in Uganda. Midwifery, 24 (2), 183–189. , et al. (
- 2001) Effect on rates of breastfeeding of training for the Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative. British Medical Journal, 323, 1358–1362. & (
- Centre for Excellence and Outcomes in Children and Young People's Services (2010) Grasping the Nettle: Early Intervention for Children, Families and Communities. C4EO, London. Available at: http://www.c4eo.org.uk/themes/earlyintervention/files/early_intervention_grasping_the_nettle_executive_summary.pdf (accessed 23 December 2013).
- 2009) Birth for Some Women in Pakistan: Defining and Defiling. Unpublished PhD Thesis. University of Sheffield. (
- 1992) Temperature, metabolic adaptation and crying in healthy newborns cared for skin-to-skin or in a cot. Acta Paediatrica Scandinavia, 84, 468–473. , & (
- 1996) Purity and Danger: An Analysis of Concepts of Pollution and Taboo. Routledge and Kegan Paul, London. (
- 2006) Breastfeeding in Hospitals: Midwives, Mothers and the Production Line. Routledge, London. (
- 1992) Mother-Infant Bond: A Scientific Fiction. Blackwell, Oxford. (
- 2004) ‘I just wanted to love, hold him forever’: women's livid experience of skin-to-skin contact with their baby immediately after birth. Evidence Based Midwifery, 2 (2), 59–65. & (
- 2004) Why Love Matters: How Affection Shapes a Baby's Brain. Routledge, London. (
- 2006) Social Intelligence. The New Science of Human Relationships. Bloomsbury Publishing, London. (
- 2010) Oxytocin and the development of parenting in humans. Biological Psychiatry, 68, 377–382. , , & (
- 2011) Men and infant feeding: perceptions of embarrassment, sexuality, and social conduct in white low-income British men. Birth (Berkeley, Calif.), 38 (1), 61–70. , , & (
- 1988) Labour Pains and Labour Power. ZED, London. , & (
- 2007) Exploring the Dirty Side of Women's Health. Routledge, London. (
- 2001) The Promotion of Breastfeeding Intervention Trial (PROBIT): a randomised trail in the Republic of Belarus. JAMA, 285, 413–420. , et al. (
- 2001) Living and coping with excessive infantile crying. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 34 (2), 155–162. & (
- 2012) Does cultural context make a difference to women's experiences of maternity care? A qualitative study comparing the perspectives of breast-feeding women of Bangladeshi origin and health practitioners. Health Expectations, 16, e124–e135. , & (
- 2012) Early skin-to-skin contact for mothers and their healthy newborn infants (Review). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, (5), CD003519. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD003519.pub3. , , & (
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (2012) Commissioning Outcomes Framework for England, NICE. Available at: http://www.nice.org.uk/aboutnice/qof/qof.jsp (accessed 23 December 2013).
- 1999) Nursing science: the transformation of practice. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 30 (6), 1383–1387. (
- 2006) An Action Research Project to Implement Skin-to-Skin Contact at Birth and Improve Breastfeeding Rates in a North-West United Kingdom Hospital Maternity Unit. Unpublished PhD Thesis. University of Salford. (
- 1990) Effect of delivery room routines on success of first breastfeed. Lancet, 336, 1105–1107. & (
- Royal College of Midwives (2008) Position statement: Women centred care. RCM, London.
- 2008) Early Skin to Skin Contact for Mothers and Their Healthy Newborn Infants: RHL Commentary. The WHO Reproductive Health Library, Geneva. Available at: http://apps.who.int/rhl/newborn/hscom2/en/index.html (accessed 23 December 2013). (
- 2008) Skin-to-skin contact for culturally diverse women having breastfeeding difficulties during early post-partum. Breastfeeding Medicine, 3 (4), 111–167. , & (
- 2004) Recruiting participants for a community of Bangladeshi immigrants for a study of spousal abuse: an appropriate cultural approach. Qualitative Health Research, 14 (3), 369–380. & (
- 1999) Skin-to-skin contact immediately after birth. Practising Midwife, 2, 22–28. (
- 1997) Leaky Bodies and Boundaries. Feminism, Postmodernism and (Bio)ethics. Routledge, London. (
- 1977) The First Relationship: Infant and Mother. Harvard University Press, Cambridge. (
- 1985) The Interpersonal World of the Infant: A View from Psychoanalysis and Developmental Psychology. Basic Books, New York. (
- 2009) Adult attachment predicts maternal brain and oxytocin response to infant cues. Neuropsychopharmacology, 34, 2655–2666. , , & (
- UNICEF (2012) Preventing Disease and Saving Resources: The Potential Contribution of Increased Breastfeeding Rates in the UK. Available at: http://www.unicef.org.uk/BabyFriendly/Resources/General-resources?preventing-disease-and-saving-resource/ (accessed 20 December 2013).
- UNICEF (2013) Going Baby Friendly. Available at: http://www.unicef.org.uk/BabyFriendly/Resources/Guidance-for-Health-Professionals/ (accessed 18 March 2014).
- 2010) Issues in perinatal care. Birth (Berkeley, Calif.), 37 (3), 192–201. , , & (