We would like to thank Peter Hom and Rodger Griffeth for comments on an earlier draft of this article. Professor Russell presents a timely critique of prevailing theory and research on employee turnover and suggests a new and potentially promising way to investigate the topic. We applaud his efforts and contributions. Our comments respond first to his advocacy of rational choice models and second, to his criticisms of the unfolding model and job embeddedness. We close with a discussion of future research issues and practical implications.
Some Reservations About a “Rational Choice” Model Predicting Employee Turnover
Article first published online: 1 MAY 2013
Copyright © 2013 Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology
Industrial and Organizational Psychology
Volume 6, Issue 2, pages 181–187, June 2013
How to Cite
Mitchell, T. R. and Lee, T. W. (2013), Some Reservations About a “Rational Choice” Model Predicting Employee Turnover. Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 6: 181–187. doi: 10.1111/iops.12030
- Issue published online: 1 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 1 MAY 2013
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!