Travellers’ compliance with influenza vaccines and antiviral drugs remains very poor despite influenza being a frequent vaccine-preventable disease with levels of compliance varying from 58% to 72% depending on the beliefs and perceptions of travellers’ regarding the prevention of influenza.
Prevention of influenza among travellers attending at a UK travel clinic: beliefs and perceptions. A cross-sectional study
Article first published online: 24 SEP 2012
© 2012 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses
Volume 7, Issue 4, pages 574–583, July 2013
How to Cite
Masuet-Aumatell, C., Toovey, S. and Zuckerman, J. N. (2013), Prevention of influenza among travellers attending at a UK travel clinic: beliefs and perceptions. A cross-sectional study. Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses, 7: 574–583. doi: 10.1111/irv.12010
- Issue published online: 11 JUN 2013
- Article first published online: 24 SEP 2012
- Accepted 9 August 2012. Published Online 24 September 2012.
- 52006) Tourism and SARS; in Wilks J, Pendergast D, Leggat P (eds): Tourism in Turbulent Times: Towards Safe Experiences for Visitors. London: Elsevier, 2006; 53–62.(
- 11Risk assessment in travel medicine. Travel Med Infect Dis2006; 4:127–134..
- 17Transmission of influenza virus in temperate zones is predominantly by aerosol, in the tropics by contact: a hypothesis. PLoS Curr2009; 1:RRN1002., .
- 21Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Use of northern hemisphere influenza vaccines by travelers to the southern hemisphere. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep2009; 58:312.
- 26World Health Organization. International travel and health. 2010 Available at http://www.who.int/ith/ITH2010chapter6 (Accessed 4 October 2010.)
- 27World Health Organization. World now at the start of 2009 influenza pandemic. Available at http://bit.ly/bZBUkS (Accessed 4 October 2010.)
- 28National Travel Health Network and Centre (2009) Clinical updates: pandemic (H1N1) 2009 influenza: update 21: current status of the pandemic. Available at http://bit.ly/dy85HV (Accessed 4 October 2010.)
- 29Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Prevention and control of influenza. Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep2008; 57 (No. RR-7): 1–60.
- 32Understanding Attitudes and Predicting Social Behavior. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1980., .
- 34[Pandemic as a communication challenge for the governmental authorities-an overview of the governmental public relations measures for the new influenza (“swine flu”). Basic communication features]. Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz2010; 53:1304–1307. German..
- 40Trends in influenza vaccination coverage rates in the United Kingdom over six seasons from 2001-2 to 2006-7. Euro Surveill2008; 13:1–7., , , .
- 44Antiviral drugs in influenza: an adjunct to vaccination in some situations. Prescrire Int2006; 15:21–30.
- 47The role of standby emergency medication for falciparum malaria: current opinion. Travel Med Infect Dis2004; 2:119–126., , , , .
- 51Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Antiviral agents for the treatment and chemoprophylaxis of influenza. Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR January 21, 2011 / 60(RR01); 1–24., , , , , ;