Poultry rearing and slaughtering practices in rural Egypt: an exploration of risk factors for H5N1 virus human transmission
Article first published online: 12 NOV 2012
Published 2012. This article is a US Government work and is in the public domain in the USA.
Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses
Volume 7, Issue 6, pages 1251–1259, November 2013
How to Cite
Lohiniva, A.-L., Dueger, E., Talaat, M., Refaey, S., Zaki, A., Chisholm Horton, K. and Kandeel, A. (2013), Poultry rearing and slaughtering practices in rural Egypt: an exploration of risk factors for H5N1 virus human transmission. Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses, 7: 1251–1259. doi: 10.1111/irv.12023
- Issue published online: 5 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 12 NOV 2012
- Accepted 16 August 2012. Published online 11 November 2012
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- 2Risk signals of an influenza pandemic caused by highly pathogenic avian influenza subtype H5N1: spatio-temporal perspectives. Vet J2011; 21 (epub)., , , , , .
- 6United States Agency for International Development. Gender Assessment of Avian Influenza in Egypt. DevTech Systems, Inc., 2010. Available at http://pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/PNADS885.pdf (Accessed 30 July 2012).
- 13Avian influenza vaccination in Egypt: limitations of the current strategy. J Mol Genet Med2009; 3:198–204., , et al.
- 14UNICEF. Post assessment of UNICEF-Supported Avian Influenza Community Interventions in Egypt, by SPAN Consultants. Preliminary Final Report. Cairo: UNICEF, 2010. Available at http://www.span.nl/en/projects.html?project=164 (Accessed 30 July 2012).
- 15Asian flus in ethnographic and political context: a biosocial approach. Anthropol Med2008; 15:1–5., , , , .
- 16Qualitative study on avian influenza in Indonesia. Regional Health Forum2009; 13:35–47., , , , .
- 17Community response to avian flu in Central Java, Indonesia. Anthropol Med2008; 15:31–51., .
- 18UNICEF. Avian Influenza Survey: Knowledge, Attitudes and Practices of the Egyptian Public. Cairo: El Zanaty and Associates, 2007. Available at http://www.comminit.com/africa/node/223876 (Accessed 30 July 2012).
- 21Clean hands: prevention of typhoid fever in rural communities in Egypt. Int Q Community Health Educ2007; 28:215–227., , , .
- 22Community awareness of bird flu and the practice of backyard poultry in a North-Central state of Nigeria. J Prev Med Hyg2010; 51:146–51., , , , .