Understanding newsworthiness of an emerging pandemic: International newspaper coverage of the H1N1 outbreak
Article first published online: 24 DEC 2012
© 2012 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses
Volume 7, Issue 5, pages 847–853, September 2013
How to Cite
2012) Understanding newsworthiness of an emerging pandemic: International newspaper coverage of the H1N1 outbreak. Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses 7(5), 847–853et al. (
- Issue published online: 21 AUG 2013
- Article first published online: 24 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 NOV 2012
- Johns Hopkins Preparedness and Emergency Response Research Center (PERRC)
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Grant Number: P01TP000288
- Emory University PERRC. Grant Number: 5P01TP000300
- 3World Health Organization. Global Alert and Response: Situation Updates Pandemic (H1N1) 2009. Available at: http://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/updates/en/index.html (Accessed 15 March 2012).
- 5World Health Organization. Comparative analysis of national pandemic preparedness plans. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization, 2011.
- 6Influenza pandemic: perception of risk and individual precautions in a general population. Cross sectional study. BMC Public Health 2007; 7:48., , .
- 13Researching risk and the media. Health, Risk and Society 1999; 1:55–69..
- 14The Fight For Public Health: Principles and Practice of Media Advocacy. London, UK: BMJ Publishing Group, 1994., .
- 16Investigating the determinants of International news flow. Int Commun Gazette 1998; 6:493–512..
- 17Inter-media agenda setting and global news coverage. Journalism Studies 2006; 04/01; 2012/057:323–333..
- 19America's narrow window to the World: an analysis of network global coverage. Int Commun Bulletin 2003; 38:2–10..
- 21The Language of News Media. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Publishers, 1991..
- 22Sex Crimes and the Media: Sex Offending and the Press in a Divided Society. Cullumpton, UK: Willan Publishing, 2003..
- 24World Health Organization. H5N1 avian influenza: Timeline of major events. 2011; Available at: http://www.who.int/influenza/human_animal_interface/avian_influenza/H5N1_avian_influenza_update.pdf (Accessed 15 March 2012).