Stream 1: Review
Intervention strategies to reduce the risk of zoonotic infection with avian influenza viruses: scientific basis, challenges and knowledge gaps
Version of Record online: 27 AUG 2013
© 2013 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses
Special Issue: Proceedings from the WHO Meeting on Global Research for Influenza. Guest Editor: Nahoko Shindo. Publication of this supplement was supported by the Government of Japan
Volume 7, Issue Supplement s2, pages 15–25, September 2013
How to Cite
2013) Intervention strategies to reduce the risk of zoonotic infection with avian influenza viruses: scientific basis, challenges and knowledge gaps. Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses 7(Suppl. 2), 15–25.(
- Issue online: 27 AUG 2013
- Version of Record online: 27 AUG 2013
- 2Strategies for controlling animal influenza and implications for human health. Influenza Other Respi Viruses 2010; 5(Suppl 1):2–53..
- 13FAO. Recommendations on the prevention, control and eradication of H5N1 highly pathogenic avian influenza in Asia. 2004. Available at http://www.fao.org/docs/eims/upload/246982/aj126e00.pdf (Accessed 5 September 2012).
- 14FAO. FAO/OIE Global strategy for prevention and control of H5N1 highly pathogenic avian influenza. 2008. Available at ftp://ftp.fao.org/docrep/fao/011/aj134e/aj134e00.pdf (Accessed 10 September 2012).
- 15OIE. Avian influenza portal. 2011. Available at http://www.oie.int/en/animal-health-in-the-world/web-portal-on-avian-influenza/global-strategy/ (Accessed 5 June 2012).
- 17OIE. World animal health information system. 2011. Available at http://web.oie.int/wahis/public.php?page=home (Accessed 10 February 2012).
- 18FAO. A value chain approach to animal diseases risk management. 2011. Available at www.fao.org/docrep/014/i2198e/i2198e00.pdf (Accessed 10 September 2012).
- 21Economics of avian flu policy. 2009. Available at http://www.dfid.gov.uk/r4d/PDF/Outputs/HPAI/FAO_2009_HPAI_rbr18.pdf (Accessed 10 September 2012)., , , , .
- 23FAO. Approaches to controlling, preventing and eliminating H5N1 highly pathogenic avian influenza in endemic countries. 2011. Available at http://www.fao.org/docrep/014/i2150e/i2150e.pdf (Accessed 5 September 2012).
- 25Avian influenza control in Thailand: balancing the interests of different poultry producers; in Scoons I (ed.): Avian Influenza: Science, Policy and Politics. London: Earthscan, 2010; 169–206..
- 29Outbreak of duck plague (duck herpesvirus enteritis) in numerous species of captive ducks and geese in temporal conjunction with enforced biosecurity (in-house keeping) due to the threat of avian influenza A virus of the subtype Asia H5N1. Dtsch Tierarztl Wochenschr 2007; 114:3–11., , et al.
- 32Bangladeshi backyard poultry raisers’ perceptions and practices related to zoonotic transmission of avian influenza. J Infect Dev Ctries 2012; 6:156–165., , et al.
- 33Understanding smallholders’ decisions towards adopting HPAI prevention and control measures. 2009. Available at http://aphca.org/dmdocuments/RBR_16_HPAI%20&%20Livelihoods_Wiegers_090528.pdf (Accessed 15 September 2012)., .
- 34FAO. How can animal health systems support small scale producers and traders? 2012. Available at www.fao.org/docrep/015/i2739e/i2739e00.pdf (Accessed 15 September 2012).
- 35Alignment of poultry sector actors with avian influenza control. 2010. Available at http://www.dfid.gov.uk/r4d/PDF/Outputs/HPAI/PRE101025_Bett_Institutions.pdf (Accessed 18 September 2012)., , , .
- 38FAO. Empress Watch. Highly pathogenic avian influenza in Mexico. 2012. Available at http://www.fao.org/docrep/016/an395e/an395e.pdf (Accessed 10 October 2012).
- 45Responding to the challenge of bird flu in rural property – insights from West Bengal. 2008. Available at http://www.dfid.gov.uk/r4d/PDF/Outputs/HPAI/WestBengalProducer.pdf (Accessed 10 September 2012)..
- 46Enhancing Control of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza in Developing Countries through Compensation: Issues and Good Practices. Washington, DC: World Bank, 2006. Available at http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTARD/Resources/HPAI_Compensation_Final.pdf (Accessed 5 September 2012)..
- 47Detection of HPAI H5N1 viruses in ducks sampled from live bird markets in Vietnam. Epidemiol Infect 2012; 1:1–11., , et al.
- 49Cambodia's victim zero: global and national responses to highly pathogenic avian influenza. STEPS centre. 2009. Available at http://steps-centre.org/wpsite/wp-content/uploads/Cambodia-new.pdf ISBN 978 1 85864 581 6 (Accessed 20 September 2012)..
- 50Transmission rate and reproductive number of the H5N1 highly pathogenic avian influenza virus during the December 2005–July 2008 epidemic in Nigeria. Transbound Emerg Dis 2012 Aug 27. doi: 10.1111/tbed.12003. [Epub ahead of print]., , et al.
- 53European Reference Laboratory for Avian Influenza: Avian influenza surveillance in the European Union during 2010. 2011. Available at http://ec.europa.eu/food/committees/regulatory/scfcah/animal_health/presentations/0405102011_ai_eu_en.pdf (Accessed 7 September 2012).
- 54OFFLU. Strategy document for surveillance and monitoring of influenza in animals. 2010. Available at http://www.offlu.net/fileadmin/home/en/publications/pdf/OFFLUsurveillance.pdf (Accessed 5 September 2012).
- 55Surveillance needs tools and options: experiences between developed and developing worlds: 2011: 91–94: In: Proceedings of FAO Animal Health and Production Challenges of Animal Disease Information and Systems for Animal Diseases and Zoonoses. 2010 23–26 November, Rome, Italy. Available at http://www.fao.org/docrep/014/i2415e/i2415e00.pdf (Accessed 20 September 2012)..
- 61CAST. 2007. Avian Influenza Vaccines: Focusing on H5N1 High Pathogenicity Avian Influenza (HPAI).
- 62OIE. Vaccine Bank. 2011. Available at http://www.oie.int/en/support-to-oie-members/vaccine-bank/ (Accessed 10 September 2012).
- 63Simulating the transmission and control of highly pathogenic avian influenza epidemics in the Australian poultry industries. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Sydney, Australia. 2011..
- 64Technical, epidemiological and financial implications of large-scale national vaccination campaigns to control HPAI H5N1. CAB Reviews 2010; 5:1–21., , .
- 66Avian influenza vaccination in Egypt: limitations of the current strategy. J Mol Genet Med 2009; 3:198–204., , et al.
- 67FAO. Gathering evidence for a transitional strategy (GETS) for HPAI H5N1 vaccination in Viet Nam. 2012. Available at http://www.fao.org/fileadmin/user_upload/faovn/docs/GETS%20Brochure-FAO%20Vietnam_Final.pdf (Accessed 10 September 2012).
- 80WHO. Antigenic and genetic characteristics of zoonotic influenza viruses and development of candidate vaccine viruses for pandemic preparedness. Wkly Epidemiol Rec 2011; 86:469–480.
- 84Vaccination of poultry in Vietnam against H5N1 highly pathogenic avian influenza. 2009. Available at http://www.aitoolkit.org/site/DefaultSite/filesystem/documents/CASE%20STUDY_07-09-09%20final.pdf (Accessed 10 September 2012)., .
- 86Evaluation of the vaccination efficacy against H5N1 in domestic poultry in the Red River Delta in Vietnam. Epidemiol Infect 2012; 30:1–13., , et al.
- 94Risks associated with poultry production systems, in Proceedings Poultry in the 21st Century Avian Influenza and Beyond. 2008. Available at http://www.fao.org/AG/againfo/home/events/bangkok2007/docs/part2/2_1.pdf (Accessed 1 September 2012)..
- 95Identification of potential risk factors associated with highly pathogenic avian influenza subtype H5N1 outbreak occurrence in Lagos and Kano states, Nigeria, during the 2006–2007 epidemics. Transbound Emerg Dis 2013; 60:87–96., , et al.
- 102FAO. Cleaning and Disinfection of Poultry Farms. 2011. Available at http://www.fao.org/docrep/014/al876e/al87600.pdf (Accessed 10 September 2012).
- 103OIE. Infection with viruses of notifiable avian influenza, in Terrestrial Animal Health Code 2012. Available at http://www.oie.int/index.php?id=169&L=0&htmfile=chapitre_1.10.4.htm (Accessed 10 December 2012).