Counting pandemic deaths: comparing reported numbers of deaths from influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 with estimated excess mortality
Article first published online: 8 JUN 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses
Volume 7, Issue 6, pages 1370–1379, November 2013
How to Cite
2013) Counting pandemic deaths: comparing reported numbers of deaths from influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 with estimated excess mortality. Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses 7(6), 1370–1379.et al. (
- Issue published online: 5 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 8 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 APR 2013
- Norwegian Institute of Public Health
- Research Council of Norway. Grant Number: 191460/V50
- 1Influenza-related deaths – available methods for estimating numbers and detecting patterns for seasonal and pandemic influenza in Europe. Euro Surveill 2012; 17:1–13., , et al.
- 4Revised estimates of influenza-associated excess mortality, United States, 1995 through 2005. Emerg Themes Epidemiol 2008; 5:1–10., .
- 5Influenza associated excess mortality in Germany, 1985–2001. Emerg Themes Epidemiol 2005; 2:1–9., , , .
- 6Model Selection and Multimodel Inference: A Practical Information Theoretic Approach, 2nd ed. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 2002., .
- 7An Introduction to the Bootstrap. New York: Chapman & Hall/CRC, 1993., .
- 8R Development Core Team. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing, 2008.
- 9Higher all-cause mortality in children during autumn 2009 compared with the three previous years: pooled results from eight European countries. Euro Surveill 2010; 15:1–4., , et al.
- 10EuroMoMo Project, WP7 Report: A European Algorithm for a Common Monitoring of Mortality across Europe. Copenhagen: Statens Serum Institut, 2011., , et al.
- 17Preliminary estimates of mortality and years of life lost associated with the 2009 A/H1N1 pandemic in the US and comparison with past influenza seasons. PLoS Currents 2010; 2:RRN1153., , , , .
- 20Surveillance of influenza in Finland during the 2009 pandemic. Euro Surveill 2011; 16:1–7., , et al.
- 22Government of Alberta. Review of Deaths Occurring in Alberta During the 2009 Influenza Pandemic. Edmonton: Government of Alberta, 2012.
- 23High prevalence of antibodies to the 2009 pandemic influenza A(H1N1) virus in the Norwegian population following a major epidemic and a large vaccination campaign in autumn 2009. Euro Surveill 2010; 15:1–6., , , , , .
- 24Report of the Review Committee on the Functioning of the International Health Regulations (2005) and on Pandemic Influenza (H1N1) 2009. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2011.
- 25Novel framework for assessing epidemiologic effect of influenza epidemics and pandemics. Emerg Infect Dis 2013; 19:85–91., , et al.
- 26Effect of vaccines and antivirals during the major 2009 A(H1N1) pandemic wave in Norway – and the influence of vaccination timing. PLoS ONE 2012; 7:e30018., ,
- 27Estimating influenza-related sick leave in Norway: was work absenteeism higher during the 2009 A(H1N1) pandemic compared to seasonal epidemics? Euro Surveill 2012; 17:1–11., , ,
- 28Folkehelseinstituttet. Statusrapport om ny influensa A(H1N1), 7. January 2010 [Status Report on New Influenza A(H1N1), 7 January 2010]. Oslo: Norwegian Institute of Public Health, 2010.