Antivirals in the 2009 pandemic – lessons and implications for future strategies
Article first published online: 12 NOV 2013
© 2013 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses
Special Issue: Severe Influenza: Burden, Pathogenesis and Management, Second isirv Antiviral Group Conference, Hanoi, Vietnam, 29-31 October 2012. Guest Editors: Dr Frederick Hayden and Dr Alan Hay. Wiley has published this supplement with financial support from the isirv antiviral group.
Volume 7, Issue Supplement s3, pages 72–79, November 2013
How to Cite
2013) Antivirals in the 2009 Pandemic – lessons and implications for future strategies. Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses 7(Suppl. 3), 72–79.and . (
- Issue published online: 12 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 12 NOV 2013
- Influenza Research Program of the Division of International Epidemiology
- Population Studies
- Fogarty International Center
- National Institutes of Health
- International Influenza Unit
- Department of Health and Human Services, USA
- 1WHO Checklist for Influenza Pandemic Preparedness Planning. Geneva: WHO, 2005. Available at http://www.who.int/influenza/resources/documents/FluCheck6web.pdf (Accessed 10 December 2012).
- 2WHO Interim Protocol: Rapid Operations to Control the Initial Emergence of Pandemic Influenza. Geneva: WHO, 2007. Available at http://www.who.int/influenza/resources/documents/RapidContProtOct15.pdf (Accessed 10 December 2012).
- 3WHO Guidelines on the Use of Vaccines and Antivirals during Influenza Pandemics. Geneva: WHO, 2004. Available at http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2004/WHO_CDS_CSR_RMD_2004.8_eng.pdf (Accessed 10 December 2012).
- 4The UK Government signs influenza pandemic contract with GlaxoSmithKline for Relenza®. London: GlaxoSmithKline, 2009. Available at http://us.gsk.com/html/media-news/pressreleases/2009/2009_pressrelease_10015.htm (Accessed 10 December 2012).
- 5Further Expansion of Tamiflu Manufacturing Capacity. Basel: F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd, 2005. Available at http://www.roche.com/med-cor-2005-10-18 (Accessed 10 December 2012).
- 7Review of pandemic (H1N1) 2009 among pregnant Japanese women. J Obstet Gynaecol 2012; 38:757–762., , et al.
- 10Seasonal Flu Plan: Winter 2011/12. London: UK Department of Health, 2011. Available at http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/documents/digitalasset/dh_127088.pdf (Accessed December 20, 2012).
- 11Antiviral Prescribing and NICE Guidelines. London: Health Protection Agency Centre for Infections, 2007. Available at http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/11488/36610/36610.pdf (Accessed December 20, 2012).
- 12The role of the Health Protection Agency in the ‘containment’ phase during the first wave of pandemic influenza in England in 2009. London: Health Protection Agency, 2010. Available at http://www.hpa.org.uk/webc/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1274088320581 (Accessed 20 December 2012).
- 13National Pandemic Flu Service: Letter to Medical Practitioners. London, 2009. Available at http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=national%20pandemic%20flu%20service%20algorithm&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CFIQFjAF&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cas.dh.gov.uk%2FViewandAcknowledgment%2FViewAttachment.aspx%3FAttachment_id%3D100922&ei=YazKUJvsJ4j69QS1jYC4AQ&usg=AFQjCNHZQ15agJ7Tp2jjgxPwedy6HPPS6A&bvm=bv.1355325884,d.eWU,d.eWU (Accessed 20 December 2012)..
- 16Pandemic influenza A(H1N1)2009 and mortality in the United Kingdom: risk factors for death, April 2009 – March 2010. Euro Surveill 2010; 15:pii: 19571., , et al.
- 20Antiviral agents for the treatment and chemoprophylaxis of influenza recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR 2011; 60:1–24., , et al.
- 30UK Influenza Pandemic Preparedness Strategy 2011: Strategy for Consultation. London: UK Department of Health, 2011. Available at http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/documents/digitalasset/dh_125346.pdf (Accessed 20 December 2012).
- 31Recommended use of antivirals: Pandemic (H1N1) 2009 briefing note 8. Geneva: WHO, 2009. Available at http://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/notes/h1n1_use_antivirals_20090820/en/index.html (Accessed 20 December 2012).
- 33The emergence of oseltamivir-resistant pandemic influenza A (H1N1) 2009 virus amongst hospitalised immunocompromised patients in Scotland, November-December, 2009. Euro Surveill 2010; 15:pii: 19536., , et al.