Research for this paper was conducted at Michigan State University.
The influenza pandemic of 1918–1919 in Sri Lanka: its demographic cost, timing, and propagation
Article first published online: 24 FEB 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses
Volume 8, Issue 3, pages 267–273, May 2014
How to Cite
2014) The influenza pandemic of 1918–19 in Sri Lanka: its demographic cost, timing, and propagation. Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses 8(3), 267–273.and (
- Issue published online: 10 APR 2014
- Article first published online: 24 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 JAN 2014
- 3The 1918-1919 Influenza Pandemic: a Pale Horse Rides from War. Bios. 2002; 73:19–27..
- 8America's forgotten pandemic. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1989..
- 11The influence of Malaria on Infant mortality in Ceylon. Ceylon J Med Sci 1950; 7: 33–54..
- 12Influenza in Sri Lanka, 1918-1919: the impact of a new disease in the pre-modern Third World setting. Health Transit Rev 1992; 2:97–123., .
- 13A New ‘Imperial Disease’: the Influenza Pandemic of 1918-9 and its Impact on the British Empire. Caribb Q 2003; 49:30–49..
- 14Ceylon, Registrar-General's Department: Vital Statistics. Report of the Registrar-General of Ceylon for 1918. Colombo: Registrar-General's Office, 1919.
- 15Ceylon, Registrar-General's Department: Vital Statistics. Report of the Registrar-General of Ceylon for 1919. Colombo: Registrar-General's Office, 1920.
- 16Britain and the 1918–1919 Influenza Pandemic: A Dark Epilogue. New York: Routledge, 2006..
- 18Superintendent of Census and Division of Statistics, Ceylon. 1923. Report on the Census of Ceylon, 1921. Colombo: Census Publications, Ceylon.,
- 19The Clinical features of the influenza epidemic of 1918-19, in Ministry of Health, Report on the Pandemic of Influenza, 1918-19. London, Reports on Public Health and Medical Subjects No.4, 1920..
- 20Superintendent: Annual report of the Sanitary Commissioner with the Government of India for 1918. Calcutta, India: Government Printing, 1920.
- 22Burgerlijken Geneeskundigen Dienst. 1920. Rapport over de Influenza-epidemie in Nederlandsch-Indië 1918 [Report on the Influenza epidemic in the Netherlands Indies 1918], Mededeelingen van den Burgerlijken Geneeskundigen Dienst in Nederlandsch-Indië [Reports of the Civil Medical Service in the Dutch East Indies] 10: 77–157.
- 28The Population of India and Pakistan. Princeton University Press: Princeton, 1951..
- 30SAS Institute, Inc.. SAS/STAT(R) 9.2 User's Guide, Second Edition: The MIXED Procedure. Available at http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/63033/HTML/default/viewer.htm#mixed_toc.htm. (Accessed 20 February 2011), 2011.
- 31SAS Institute, Inc. SAS/ETS(R) 9.2 User's Guide, Second Edition: The PROC X12 Procedure. Available at: http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/etsug/60372/HTML/default/viewer.htm#x12_toc.htm. (Accessed 20 February 2011), 2011.
- 32Mortality from the influenza pandemic of 1918–19 in Indonesia. 2013. Pop Stud-J Demog [Internet]. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00324728.2012.754486#.UYFKVbWvOXk. (Accessed 25 April 2013)..
- 34An Analysis of the Vital Statistics of Ceylon. Ceylon J Med Sci 1950; 7:91–272..