Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island 02912.
BOUNDED HYBRID SUPERIORITY IN AN AVIAN HYBRID ZONE: EFFECTS OF MATE, DIET, AND HABITAT CHOICE
Version of Record online: 9 MAY 2007
Volume 54, Issue 5, pages 1774–1783, October 2000
How to Cite
Good, T. P., Ellis, J. C., Annett, C. A. and Pierotti, R. (2000), BOUNDED HYBRID SUPERIORITY IN AN AVIAN HYBRID ZONE: EFFECTS OF MATE, DIET, AND HABITAT CHOICE. Evolution, 54: 1774–1783. doi: 10.1111/j.0014-3820.2000.tb00721.x
- Issue online: 9 MAY 2007
- Version of Record online: 9 MAY 2007
- Received March 17, 1999. Accepted April 10, 2000.
- 1990. Seabirds of the Farallon Islands. Stanford Univ. Press, Palo Alto , CA . , and .
- 1989. Chick hatching as a trigger for dietary switching in the western gull. Colon. Waterbirds 12:4–11. , and .
- 1999. Longterm reproductive output in western gulls: consequences of alternate tactics in diet choice. Ecology 80:288–297. , and .
- 1983. Commentary (on Barrowclough's chapter). Pp. 262–270. in A. H.Brush and G. A.Clark, eds. Perspectives in ornithology. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge , U.K.
- 1985. Analysis of hybrid zones. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 16:113–148. , and .
- 1992. Hybridization and sympatry in the western gull/ glaucous-winged gull complex. Ph.D. diss., University of California, Berkeley, CA.
- 1996. Genetic differentiation, geographic variation and hybridization in gulls of the Larus glaucescens-occidentalis complex. Condor 98:527–546.
- 1981. On becoming independent in herring gulls: parentyoung conflict. Am. Nat. 117:444–456.
- 1998. A phylogeny of the gulls (Aves: Larinae) inferred from osteological and integumentary characters. Cladistics In press.
- 1909. The birds of Washington. Vol. II. Occidental Press, Seattle , WA .
- 1997. Diet of glaucous-winged gulls (Larus glaucescens), western gulls (Larus occidentalis) and their hybrids along the Pacific Coast of North America. M.Sc. thesis, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS.
- 1998. Breeding ecology and hybridization in the western gull (Larus occidentalis) glaucous-winged gull (Larus glaucescens) complex. Ph.D. diss., University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS.
- 1992. Hybridizatio of bird species. Science 256:193–197. , and .
- 1997a. Genetics and the origin of bird species. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 94:7768–7775. , and .
- 1997b. Hybridization, sexual imprinting, and mate choice. Am. Nat. 149:1–28. , and .
- 1988. Hybrid zones-natural laboratories for evolutionary studies. Trends. Ecol. Evol. 3:158–167.
- 1978. Hybridization between gulls (L. glaucescens and L. occidentalis) in the Pacific Northwest. Auk 95:441–458. , , and .
- 1986. Foraging strategies of glaucous-winged gulls in a rocky intertidal community. Ecology 67:1460–1474. , , and .
- 1963. Animal species and evolution. Belknap Press, Cambridge , MA .
- 1977. An evaluation of narrow hybrid zones in vertebrates. Q. Rev. Biol. 52:263–277.
- 1985. Stability of the northern flicker hybrid zone in historical times: implications for adaptive speciation theory. Evolution 39:135–151. , and .
- 1986. Comparative reproductive success of flickers across a hybrid zone. Auk 103:42–51. , and .
- 1993. Nature of selection in the northern flicker hybrid zone and its implications for speciation theory. Pp. 196–225. in R. G.Harrison, ed. Hybrid zones and the evolutionary process. Oxford Univ. Press, New York . , and .
- 1987. Time partitioning of clutch and brood care activities in herring gulls: a measure of parental quality Stud. Avian Biol. 10:68–74.
- 1984. Dietary changes and poor reproductive performance in glaucous-winged gulls. Auk 101:532–541. , , , and .
- 1992. Interspecific competition for food between herring and lesser black-backed gulls in the Dutch Wadden Sea area. Ardea 80:115–132. , and .
- 1989. Natural hybridization and ethological isolation in birds. Nauka Press, Moscow , Russia .
- 1995. Influence of group size and habitat type on reproductive success in common murres. Auk 112:390–401.
- 1985. The recognition concept of species. Pp. 21–29. in E.Vrba, ed. Species and speciation. Transvaal Museum, Pretoria , South Africa .
- 1946. Nesting of the western gull off the coast of Vancouver Island, British Columbia, and possible hybridization with the glaucous-winged gull. Murrelet 27:39–40.
- 1981. Male and female parental roles in western gulls under different environmental conditions. Auk 98:532–549.
- 1982. Habitat selection and its effect on reproductive output in the herring gull in Newfoundland. Ecology 63:854–868.
- 1987a. Behavioral consequences of habitat selection in the herring gull. Stud. Avian Biol. 10:119–128.
- 1987b. Isolating mechanisms in seabirds. Evolution 41:559–570.
- 1987. Specialization and switching in an ecological generalist. Pp. 417–442. in A. C.Kamil, J. R.Krebs, and H. R.Pulliam, eds. Foraging behavior. Plenum Press, New York . , and .
- 1990. Diet and reproductive performance in seabirds. Bio-science 40:568–574. , and .
- 1991. Diet choice in the herring gull: effects of constraints imposed by reproduction and ecology. Ecology 72:319–328. , and .
- 1993. Hybridization and male parental investment in birds. Condor 95:670–679. , and .
- 1995. Western gull. in A.Poole and F.Gill, eds. Birds of North America. The Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia, and The American Ornithologists' Union, Washington, DC. , and .
- 1986. Proximate and ultimate causation of egg size and the “third chick disadvantage” in the western gull. Auk 103:401–407. , and .
- 1992. Egg volume, chick growth and survival across a carrion crow/hooded crow hybrid zone. Bull. Zool. 59:407–415. , and .
- 1992. Pair composition and reproductive success across a hybrid zone of carrion crows and hooded crows. Auk 109:543–555. , and .
- 1971. Interbreeding of the glaucous-winged gull and western gull in the Pacific Northwest. Calif. Birds 2:129–133.
- 1987. Chromosomal variation. Pp. 79–104. in F.Cooke and P. A.Buckley, eds. Avian genetics: a population and ecological approach. Academic Press, New York .
- 1991. Intraspecific allozyme differentiation among North Atlantic white-headed larid gulls. Auk 108:319–328.
- 1979. Variation in summer diet of glaucous-winged gulls in the western Aleutian Islands: an ecological interpretation. Wilson Bull. 91:412–441.
- 1993. Glaucous-winged gull in A.Poole and F.Gill, eds. Birds of North America. The Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia, and The American Ornithologists' Union, Washington, DC.