PHENOTYPIC LABILITY AND THE EVOLUTION OF PREDATOR-INDUCED PLASTICITY IN TADPOLES
Version of Record online: 9 MAY 2007
Volume 56, Issue 2, pages 361–370, February 2002
How to Cite
Van Buskirk, J. (2002), PHENOTYPIC LABILITY AND THE EVOLUTION OF PREDATOR-INDUCED PLASTICITY IN TADPOLES. Evolution, 56: 361–370. doi: 10.1111/j.0014-3820.2002.tb01346.x
- Issue online: 9 MAY 2007
- Version of Record online: 9 MAY 2007
- Received August 2, 2001. Accepted September 13, 2001.
- 1998. Ontogenetic reaction norms of predator-induced defensive morphology in dragonfly larvae. Ecology 79:1847–1858. , and .
- 1994. Seasonal recruitment of hippocampal neurons in adult free-ranging black-capped chickadees. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 91:11217–11221. , and .
- 1987. Tropical dry and wet season polyphenism in the butterfly Melanitis leda (Satyrinae): phenotypic plasticity and climatic correlates. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 31:175–191.
- 1996. The thyroid hormone induced tail resorption program during Xenopus laevis metamorphosis. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 93:1924–1929. , , , , , , and .
- 1992. Inducible defenses and the allocation of resources: a minimal model. Am. Nat. 139:521–539. , and .
- 1999. Evolution of the corticotropin-releasing hormone signaling system and its role in stress-induced phenotypic plasticity. Ann. NY Acad. Sci. 897:46–53.
- 1998. Costs and limits of phenotypic plasticity. Trends Ecol. Evol. 13:77–81. , , and .
- 1988. Asymmetrical developmental plasticity in an intertidal snail. Evolution 42:322–334.
- 1999. Evolution of reversible plastic responses: inducible defenses and environmental tolerance. Pp. 286–305 in R.Tollrian and C. D.Harvell, eds. The ecology and evolution of inducible defenses. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton , NJ .
- 1960. A simplified table for staging anuran embryos and larvae with notes on identification. Herpetologica 16:183–190.
- 1990. The ecology and evolution of inducible defenses. Q. Rev. Biol. 65:323–340.
- 1990. Predation on amphibian eggs and tadpoles by common predators in acidified lakes. Holarct. Ecol. 13:201–206.
- 1992. Behavioral resource depression and decaying perceived risk of predation in two species of coexisting gerbils. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 30:239–244.
- 1984. The genetic correlation between characters maintained by selection, linkage, and inbreeding. Genet. Res. 44:309–320.
- 1991. SAS system for linear models. 3rd ed. SAS Institute, Inc., Cary , NC . , , and .
- 1996. Costs and benefits of a predator-induced polyphenism in the gray treefrog Hyla chrysoscelis. Evolution 50: 583–593. , and .
- 1993. Predation on newt eggs (Triturus alpestris and T. helveticus): identification of predators and protective role of oviposition behaviour. J. Zool. 231:575–582.
- 1992a. The evolutionary maintenance of alternative phenotypes. Am. Nat. 139:971–982.
- 1992b. The evolution of aphid life cycles. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 37:321–348.
- 1989. Developmental differences in visceral morphology of megophrynine pelobatid tadpoles in relation to their body form and mode of life. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 38:369–388. , , and .
- 1996. Plastic inducible morphologies are not always adaptive: the importance of time delays in a stochastic environment. Evol. Ecol. 10:105–117. , and .
- 1987. Predator-prey interactions among larval amphibians: use of chemical cues to detect predatory fish. Anim. Behav. 35:420–425. , , and .
- 1996. The shape of life: genes, development, and the evolution of animal form. Univ. of Chicago Press, Chicago .
- 1991. Variation in size and timing of metamorphosis in complex life histories. Ecology 72:413–427. , and .
- 1995. A test of the adaptive plasticity hypothesis using transgenic and mutant plants disabled in phytochrome-mediated elongation responses to neighbors. Am. Nat. 146:937–953. , , and .
- 1990. Effects of body size, sibship, and tail injury on the susceptibility of tadpoles to dragonfly predation. Can. J. Zool. 68:1027–1030.
- 1992. Modification of antipredator behaviour in tadpoles by environmental conditioning. J. Anim. Ecol. 61:353–360. , and .
- 1992. Prey uncertainty and the balance of antipredator and feeding needs. Am. Nat. 139:1052–1069.
- 1993. Delayed hatching of salamander eggs in response to enhanced larval predation risk. Am. Nat. 142:947–960. , and .
- 1984. Microrespirometry in small tissues and organs. Pp. 100–120 in T. J.Bradley and T. A.Miller, eds. Measurement of ion transport and metabolic rate of insects. Springer Verlag, New York .
- 1993. Neckteeth formation in Daphnia pulex as an example of continuous phenotypic plasticity: morphological effects of Chaoborus kairomone concentrations and their quantification. J. Plankton Res. 15:1309–1318.
- 1985. The role of relative body size in a predator-prey relationship between dragonfly naiads and larval anurans. Oikos 45:59–65. , , and .
- 2001. Biochemical characterization and expression analysis of the Xenopus laevis corticotropin-releasing hormone ending protein. Mol. Cell. Endocrinol. 173:29–40. , , , and .
- 2001. Specific induced responses to different predator species in anuran larvae. J. Evol. Biol. 14:482–489.
- 2002. Dosage response of an induced defense: how sensitive are tadpoles to predation risk Ecology 83: in press. , and .
- 2000. Mechanisms of an inducible defence in tadpoles: morphology and behaviour influence mortality risk from predation. J. Evol. Biol. 13:336–347. , and .
- 1998. Selection for phenotypic plasticity in Rana sylvatica tadpoles. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 65:301–328. , and .
- 2001. Delayed costs of an inducible defense in tadpoles? Morphology, hopping, and development rate at metamorphosis. Evolution 55:821–829. , and .
- 1997. Natural selection for environmentally induced phenotypes in tadpoles. Evolution 51:1983–1992. , , and .
- 1996. Homologues, natural kinds, and the evolution of modularity. Am. Zool. 36:36–43.
- 2000. Character identification in evolutionary biology: the role of the organism. Theory Biosci. 119:20–40. , and .
- 1995. Adaptive plasticity in hatching age: a response to predation risk trade-offs. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 92:3507–3510.
- 1986. Amphibian metamorphosis: growth rate, predation risk, and the optimal size at transformation. Am. Nat. 128:319–341.
- 1989. Phenotypic plasticity and the origins of diversity. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 20:249–278.