Institute of Zoology, Zoological Society of London, Regent's Park, London NW1 4RY, United Kingdom; E-mail: email@example.com.
MATING SIGNAL VARIATION AND BIMODALITY IN A MOSAIC HYBRID ZONE BETWEEN CHORTHIPPUS GRASSHOPPER SPECIES
Version of Record online: 9 MAY 2007
Volume 56, Issue 6, pages 1184–1198, June 2002
How to Cite
Bridle, J. R. and Butlin, R. K. (2002), MATING SIGNAL VARIATION AND BIMODALITY IN A MOSAIC HYBRID ZONE BETWEEN CHORTHIPPUS GRASSHOPPER SPECIES. Evolution, 56: 1184–1198. doi: 10.1111/j.0014-3820.2002.tb01431.x
- Issue online: 9 MAY 2007
- Version of Record online: 9 MAY 2007
- Received August 13, 2001. Accepted February 26, 2002
- 2000. Coexistence in a mosaic overlap zone in Chorthippus grasshoppers. Ph.D. diss., University of Leeds, Leeds, U.K.
- 1983. Multilocus clines. Evolution 37:454–471.
- 2000. Genetic hitchhiking. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. B. 355:1553–1562.
- 2001. The role of hybridization in evolution. Mol. Ecol. 10:551–568.
- 1996. Development of software for the analysis of geographic variation and hybrid zones. Univ. of Edinburgh, Edinburgh , U.K. Available via http:helios.bto.ed.ac.ukevolgen. , and .
- 1993. Genetic analysis of hybrid zones. Pp. 13–45 in. R. G.Harrison, ed. Hybrid zones and the evolutionary process. Oxford Univ. Press, New York . , and .
- 1989. Adaptation, speciation and hybrid zones. Nature 341:497–503. and ,
- 1997. The evolution of meta-populations. Pp. 183–210 in I.Hanski and M. E.Gilpin, eds. Metapopulation biology: ecology, genetics and evolution. Academic Press, San Diego , CA . , and .
- 1998. Spatial structure in a grasshopper hybrid zone. Ph.D. diss., University of Leeds, Leeds, U.K.
- 2001. Spatial structure and habitat variation in a grasshopper hybrid zone. Evolution 55:1832–1843. , , and .
- 2002a. Low levels of chromosomal differentiation between the grasshoppers Chorthippus brunneus and Chorthippus jacobsi (Orthoptera: Acrididae) in northern Spain. Genetica 114:121–127. , , , , and .
- 2002b. Fine-scale ecological and genetic variation in a grasshopper hybrid zone. Ecol. Entomol. 27:499–504. , , and .
- 2001. Spatio-temporal dynamics of the Allonemobius fasciatus-A. socius mosaic hybrid zone: a 14-year perspective. Mol. Ecol. 10:627–638. , , and .
- 1998. What do hybrid zones in general, and the Chor-thippus parallelus zone in particular, tell us about speciation? Pp. 367–378 in D. J.Howard and S.Berlocher, eds. Endless forms: species and speciation. Oxford Univ. Press, New York .
- 1986. Heritability estimates for characters under sexual selection in the grasshopper Chorthippus brunneus. Anim. Behav. 34:1256–1261. , and .
- 1988. Genetics of behavioural and morphological differences between parapatric subspecies of Chorthippus parallelus (Orthoptera: Acrididae). Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 33:233–248.
- 1991. Comparisons between morphological characters and between localities in the Chorthippus parallelus hybrid zone (Orthoptera: Acrididae). Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond B 334:297–308. , , and .
- 1999. Reinforcement can occur under a relatively broad set of conditions in a mosaic hybrid zone. Evolution 53:1343–1353. , , and .
- 1997. A critique of Sewall Wright's shifting balance theory of evolution. Evolution 51:643–671. , , and .
- 1972. Likelihood. John Hopkins Univ. Press, Baltimore , MD .
- 1984. Neuroethology of sound production in gompho-cerine grasshoppersI. Song patterns and stridulatory movements. J. Comp. Physiol. 88:72–102.
- 1990. Hybrid zones, windows on the evolutionary process. Oxf. Surv. Evol. Biol. 7:70–128.
- 1997. Patterns of variation and linkage disequilibrium in a field cricket hybrid zone. Evolution 51:493–505. , and .
- 1989. Mosaic hybrid zones and the nature of species boundaries. Pp. 111–134 in D.Otte and J. A.Endler, eds. Speciation and its consequences, Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland , MA . , and .
- 1958. Stridulation and associated behaviour in certain OrthopteraI. Analysis of the stridulation of, and behaviour between, males. Br. J. Insect Behav. 5:139–148.
- 1997. The ecological detective: confronting models with data. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton , NJ . , and .
- 1996. Spatial patterns of genetic variation generated by different forms of dispersal during range expansion. Heredity 77:282–291. , , and .
- 2000. Bimodal hybrid zones and speciation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 15:250–255. , and .
- 1983. Optimization by simulated annealing. Science 220:671–680. , , and .
- 1997. Barriers to gene flow: a Bombina (fire-bellied toad) hybrid zone and multi-locus cline theory. Ph.D. diss., University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, U.K.
- 1997. Mechanisms maintaining species differentiation: predator-mediated selection in a Bombina hybrid zone. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 264:105–110. , and .
- Lawes Agricultural Trust. 1995. GENSTAT 5.3. Lawes Agricultural Trust, Rothamsted Experimental Station, Harpenden, Hertfordshire, U.K.
- 1994. Adaptation and habitat preference in a hybrid zone between Bombina bombina and Bombina variegata in Croatia. Ph.D. diss., University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, U.K.
- 1998. Habitat preference in the Bombina hybrid zone in Croatia. Evolution 52:227–239. , , , and .
- 1986. Multivariate statistical methods. Chapman and Hall, New York .
- 1994. The genetic consequences of long distance dispersal during colonization. Heredity 72:312–317. , and .
- 1999. Reinforcement and other consequences of sympatry. Heredity 83:503–508.
- 1995. Natural selection and quantitative traits in the Bombina hybrid zone. Evolution 49:1224–1238. , , , , and .
- 1958. The isolating value of specific song patterns in two sibling species of grasshopper (Chorthippus brunneus Thun. and C. biguttulus L.). Behaviour 12:1–75.
- 1988. Flowers of south-west Europe. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford , U.K. , and .
- 1988. Songs and taxonomy of the grasshoppers of the Chorthippus biguttulus group in the Iberian peninsular (Orthoptera: Acrididae). J. Nat. Hist. 22:897–929. , and .
- 1998. The songs of the grasshoppers and crickets of western Europe. Harley Books, Colchester , Essex , U.K.
- 2001. Ecology and the origin of species. Trends Ecol. Evol. 16:372–380.
- 1995. The genetic structure of a hybrid zone between two chromosome races of the Sceloporus grammicus complex (Sauria: Phrynosomatidae) in central Mexico. Evolution 49:9–36. , , and .
- 1993. Analysis of hybrid zones with Bombina. Pp. 261–289 in R. G.Harrison, ed. Hybrid zones and the evolutionary process. Oxford Univ. Press, New York .
- 1986. Genetic analysis of a hybrid zone between the fire-bellied toads, Bombina bombina and B. variegata, near Cracow in southern Poland. Evolution 40:1141–1159. , and .
- 1991. The genetic structure of the hybrid zone between the fire-bellied toads Bombina bombina and B. variegata: comparisons between transects and between loci. Evolution 45:237–261.
- 2001. Theory and speciation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 16:330–343. , , and .
- 1990. Ecological components of a hybrid zone in the grasshopper Chorthippus parallelus (Zet-terstedt) (Orthoptera: Acrididae). Boletin de Sanidad Vegetal (Fuera De Serie) 20:299–309. , and .
- 1977. The stridulatory movements of Acridid grasshoppers recorded with an opto-electronic device. J. Comp. Physiol. 122:53–64. , and .
- 1975. A genetic approach to the acoustic communication system of grasshoppers. I. Song pattern of interspecific hybrids between C. biguttulus and C. mollis. J. Comp. Physiol. 104:273–299. , and .
- 1994. Forces driving co-evolution of song and song recognition in grasshoppers. Pp. 253–284 in K.Schildberger and N.Elsner, eds. The neural basis of behavioural adaptations. Fischer-Verlang, Stuggart , Germany .
- 2000. The exquisite corpse: a shifting view of the shifting balance. Trends Ecol. Evol. 15:347–348. , and .