Redpath Museum and Department of Biology, McGill University, 859 Sherbrooke Street West, Montreal, Quebec H3A 2K6, Canada; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
ADAPTIVE DIVERGENCE AND THE BALANCE BETWEEN SELECTION AND GENE FLOW: LAKE AND STREAM STICKLEBACK IN THE MISTY SYSTEM
Version of Record online: 9 MAY 2007
Volume 56, Issue 6, pages 1199–1216, June 2002
How to Cite
Hendry, A. P., Taylor, E. B. and McPhail, J. D. (2002), ADAPTIVE DIVERGENCE AND THE BALANCE BETWEEN SELECTION AND GENE FLOW: LAKE AND STREAM STICKLEBACK IN THE MISTY SYSTEM. Evolution, 56: 1199–1216. doi: 10.1111/j.0014-3820.2002.tb01432.x
- Issue online: 9 MAY 2007
- Version of Record online: 9 MAY 2007
- Received June 26, 2001. Accepted January 22, 2002
- 2001. The adaptive landscape as a conceptual bridge between micro- and macroevolution. Genetica 112/113: 9–32. , , and .
- 1994. Life history variation in female threespine stickleback. Pp. 144–187 in M. A.Bell and S. A.Foster, eds. The evolutionary biology of the threespine stickleback. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford , U.K.
- 1993. Genetic analysis of hybrid zones. Pp. 13–45 in R. G.Harrison, ed. Hybrid zones and the evolutionary process. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford , U.K. , and .
- 1995. Phenotypic, genetic, and environmental integration of morphology in a stream population of the three-spine stickleback, Gasterosteus aculeatus. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 52:1307–1317.
- 1999. Maximum-likelihood estimation of migration rates and effective population numbers in two populations using a coalescent approach. Genetics 152:763–773. , and .
- 1982. Differentiation of adjacent stream populations of threespine sticklebacks. Evolution 36:189–199.
- 1981. Clinal variation of lateral plates in threespine stickleback fish. Am. Nat. 117:113–132. , and .
- 1984. Ecology and evolution of sympatric sticklebacks (Gasterosteus): specialization for alternative trophic niches in the Enos Lake species pair. Can. J. Zool. 62:2280–2286. , and .
- 1992. Heterozygote deficiency, population substructure and their implications in DNA fingerprinting. Hum. Genet. 88:267–272. , and .
- 1999. New methods employing multilocus genotypes to select or exclude populations as origins of individuals. Genetics 153:1989–2000. , , , , and .
- 1996. Origins of endemic stickleback from the Queen Charlotte Islands: mitochondrial and morphological evidence. Can. J. Zool. 74:1045–1056. , , and .
- 1969. Differentiation of populations. Science 165:1228–1232. , and .
- 1977. Geographic variation, speciation, and clines. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton , NJ .
- 1986. Natural selection in the wild. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton , NJ .
- 1999. Mutation and migration in models of microsatellite evolution. Pp. 98–115 in D. B.Goldstein and C.Schlotterer, eds. Microsatellites: evolution and applications. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford , U.K. , , and .
- 1976. The theoretical population genetics of variable selection and migration. Annu. Rev. Genet. 10:253–280.
- 1997. Genetic models of adaptation and gene flow in peripheral populations. Evolution 51:21–28. , and .
- 2000. Waiting time to parapatric speciation. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. 267:2483–2492.
- 1995. FSTAT version 1.2: a computer program to calculate F-statistics. J. Hered. 86:485–486.
- 1989. Trans-locations as a species conservation tool: status and strategy. Science 245:477–480. , , , and .
- 1984. Geographic variation in the gill rakers and diet of European threespine sticklebacks, Gasterosteus aculeatus. Copeia 1984:87–97. , and .
- 1972. Geographic variation and environmental selection in Gasterosteus aculeatus L. in the Pacific Northwest. Evolution 26:32–51. , and .
- 1948. The theory of a cline. J. Genet. 48:277–284.
- 1999. Ecological speciation in sticklebacks: environment-dependent hybrid fitness. Evolution 53:866–873. , and .
- 2000. Rapid evolution of reproductive isolation in the wild: evidence from introduced salmon. Science 290:516–518. , , , , and .
- 2001. Population mixing and the adaptive divergence of quantitative traits in discrete populations: a theoretical framework for empirical tests. Evolution 55:459–466. , , and .
- 2001. The strength of phenotypic selection in natural populations. Am. Nat. 157:245–261. , , , , , , , , and .
- 1997. Evolution of a species' range. Am. Nat. 150:1–23. , and .
- 1986. Adaptive divergence of trophic phenotype among freshwater populations of the three-spine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus). Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 43:2455–2463. , and .
- 1993. Parapatric lake and stream sticklebacks on northern Vancouver Island: disjunct distribution or parallel evolution Can. J. Zool. 71:11–17.
- 1998. Experimental evidence for reduced hybrid viability between dwarf and normal ecotypes of lake whitefish (Coregonus clupeaformis Mitchill). Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. 265:1025–1030. , and .
- 1992. REAP: an integrated environment for the manipulation and phylogenetic analysis of restriction data. J. Hered. 83:157–158. , , , and .
- 1994. Speciation and the evolution of reproductive isolation in the sticklebacks (Gasterosteus) of south-western British Columbia. Pp. 399–437 in M. A.Bell and S. A.Foster, eds. The evolutionary biology of the threespine stickleback. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford , U.K.
- 1972a. Morphology, life history, and ecology of an unusual stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) in the Queen Charlotte Islands, Canada. Can. J. Zool. 50:721–732.
- 1972b. Predation, natural selection and adaptation in an unusual threespine stickleback. Heredity 28:155–167.
- 1993. Mitiochondrial DNA in Gasterosteus and Pleistocene glacial refugium on the Queen Charlotte Islands, British Columbia. Evolution 47:678–684. , , , and .
- 1994. Global survey of mitochondrial DNA sequences in the threespine stickleback: evidence for recent migrations. Evolution 48:608–622. , , , and .
- 1996. Nucleic acids II: the polymerase chain reaction. Pp. 205–247 in D. M.Hillis, C.Moritz, and B. K.Mable, eds. Molecular systematics. 2d ed. Sinauer Associates, Sunder-land , MA .
- 1998. A spatially explicit stochastic model demonstrates the feasibility of Wright's shifting balance theory. Evolution 52:1834–1839. , , and .
- 1995. GENEPOP (version 1.2): population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenism. J. Her-ed. 86:248–249. , and .
- 1994. Predators and morphological evolution in threespine stickleback. Pp. 240–276 in M. A.Bell and S. A.Foster, eds. The evolutionary biology of the threespine stickleback. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford , U.K.
- 1985. Multivariate differentiation of parapatric and allopatric populations of three-spine stickleback in the Sangan River watershed, Queen Charlotte Islands. Can. J. Zool. 63:2944–2951. , , and .
- 2001. Rapid genetic divergence in postglacial populations of threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus): the role of habitat type, drainage and geographical proximity. Mol. Ecol. 10:2435–2445. , , and .
- 1983. Estimation of the coancestry coefficient: basis for a short-term genetic distance. Genetics 105:767–779. , , and .
- 1993. Laboratory experiments on speciation: what have we learned in 40 years Evolution 47:1637–1653. , and .
- 1993. Characterization of hypervariable microsatellite loci in the threespine stickleback Gasterosteus aculeatus. Mol. Ecol. 2:271–272. , , , and .
- 1989. The statistical analysis of mitochondrial DNA polymorphisms: x2 and the problem of small samples. Mol. Biol. Evol. 6:539–545. , and .
- 2002. A test of ecologically dependent postmating isolation between sympatric sticklebacks. Evolution 56:322–329.
- 2001. A genetic interpretation of ecologically dependent isolation. Evolution 55:198–201. , and .
- 1995. Adaptive radiation in sticklebacks: trade-offs in feeding performance and growth. Ecology 76:82–90.
- 1996 Ecoogical speciation in postglacialfishs. Phil Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B. 351: 807–814.
- 2000 The ecology Of adaptive radiation. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford , U.K.
- 1992. Ecological character displacement and speciation in sticklebacks. Am. Nat. 140:85–108. , and .
- 1973. Gene flow and selection in a cline. Genetics 75:733–756.
- 1985 Rare alleles indicators of gene flow. Evolution 39: 53–65.
- 1987. Gene flow and the geographic structure of natural populations. Science 236:787–792.
- 1989. A comparison of three indirect methods for estimating average levels of gene flow. Evolution 43:1349–1368. , and .
- 1983. Threespine sticklebacks (Gasterosteus aculeatus) in Drizzle Lake and its inlet, Queen Charlotte Islands: ecological and behavioural relationships and their relevance to reproductive isolation. M.Sc. thesis, University of Alberta, Edmonton.
- 1999. Gene flow and endangered species translocations: a topic revisited. Biol. Cons. 87:173–180.
- 1989. Differences in morphology and behavior between juvenile coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch) rearing in a lake and in its tributary stream. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 46:1406–1414. , and .
- 1983. Gene identity and genetic differentiation of populations in the finite island model. Genetics 104:497–512.
- 1998. Microsatellites isolated from the threespine stickleback Gasterosteus aculeatus. Mol. Ecol. 7:930–931.
- 1986. Prolonged and burst swimming in anadromous and freshwater threespine stickleback, Gasterosteus aculeatus. Can. J. Zool. 64:416–420. , and .
- 2000 Historical contingency and ecological determinism interact to prime speciation in sticklebacks Gasterosteus. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 267: 2375–2384.
- 1997. Postglacial genetic differentiation of reproductive ecotypes of kokanee Oncorhynchus nerka in Okanagan Lake, British Columbia. Mol. Ecol. 6:503–517. , , , and .
- 1997. Parallel evolution of lake-stream pairs of threespine sticklebacks (Gasterosteus) inferred from mitochondrial DNA variation. Evolution 51:1955–1965. , , and .
- 1984. Heritable genetic variation via mutation-selection balance: Lerch's zeta meets the abdominal bristle. Theor. Pop. Biol. 25:138–193.
- 1989. Early postglacial chi-ronomid succession in southwestern British Columbia, Canada, and its paleoenvironmental significance. J. Paleolimnol. 2:1–14. , and .
- 1991. Genetic methods for estimating the effective size of cetacean populations. Rep. Int. Whaling Comm. Spec. Issue 13:279–300.
- 1992. Temporal fluctuations in demographic parameters and the genetic variance among populations. Evolution 46:608–615.
- 1999. Indirect measures of gene flow and migration: FST∼/(4Nm+ 1). Heredity 82:117–125. , and .