ECOLOGICAL AND DEVELOPMENTAL CONTEXT OF NATURAL SELECTION: MATERNAL EFFECTS AND THERMALLY INDUCED PLASTICITY IN THE FROG BOMBINA ORIENTALIS
Version of Record online: 9 MAY 2007
Volume 60, Issue 1, pages 142–156, January 2006
How to Cite
Kaplan, R. H. and Phillips, P. C. (2006), ECOLOGICAL AND DEVELOPMENTAL CONTEXT OF NATURAL SELECTION: MATERNAL EFFECTS AND THERMALLY INDUCED PLASTICITY IN THE FROG BOMBINA ORIENTALIS. Evolution, 60: 142–156. doi: 10.1111/j.0014-3820.2006.tb01089.x
- Issue online: 9 MAY 2007
- Version of Record online: 9 MAY 2007
- Received June 17, 2005. Accepted November 3, 2005.
- Abacus Concepts. 1992. Statview. Abacus Concepts, Inc., Berkeley , CA .
- 2003. Patterns of natural selection on size at metamorphosis in water frogs. Evolution 57:872–882. , and
- 2003. Odonate predator does not affect hatching time or morphology of embryos of two amphibians. J. Herpetol. 37:65–71. , and
- 2003. Reduced burst speed is a cost of rapid growth in anuran tadpoles: problems of autocorrelation and inferences about growth rates. Funct. Ecol. 17:328–334.
- 1983. Morphology, performance, and fitness. Am. Zool. 23:347–361.
- 2003. Phenotypic variation in smooth softshell turtles (Apalone mutica) from eggs incubated in constant versus fluctuating temperatures. Oecologia 134:182–188. , and
- 2003. The importance of the variance around the mean effect size of ecological processes. Ecology 84:2335–2346.
- 2005. The importance of the variance around the mean effect size of ecological processes: reply. Ecology 86:265–268.
- 1988. The relationship among egg size, density and food level on larval development in the wood frog (Rana sylvatica). Oecologia 75:87–72. , and
- 2003. The complexity of deformed amphibians. Frontiers Ecol. Environ. 1:87–94. , and
- 1990. Incubation-time and rate of embryonic-development in amphibians: the influence of ovum size, temperature, and reproductive mode. Physiol. Zool. 63:1157–1180.
- 1988. Influence of environmental PO2 on embryonic oxygen consumption, rate of development, and hatching in the frog Pseudophryne bibroni. Physiol. Zool. 61:475–482. , and
- 1995. Compensatory escape mode trade-offs between swimming performance and maneuvering behavior through larval ontogeny of the wood frog, Rana sylvatica. Copeia 1995:1–7. , and
- 2001. Predator-induced life history changes in amphibians: egg predation induces hatching. Oikos 92:135–142. , , , , , and
- 2004. Patterns and analysis of adaptive phenotypic plasticity in animals. Pp. 126–150 in T. J.DeWitt and S. M.Scheiner, S.Phenotypic plasticity: functional and conceptual approaches. Oxford Univ. Press, New York . , and
- 2005. Patterns and fitness consequences of intraclutch variation in egg provisioning in tropical Australian frogs. Oecologia, 146:98–109. , and
- 2005. Fitness consequences of variable maternal provisioning in quacking frogs (Crinia georgiana). J. Evol. Biol., In press. , and
- 2002. Does within-population variation in fish egg size reflect maternal influences on optimal values. Am. Nat. 160:756–765. , and
- 2003. Morphology and escape performance of tiger salamander larvae (Ambystoma tigrinum mavortium). J. Exp. Zool. 297A:147–159. , , and
- 1996. Larval host plant and fitness consequences of egg size variation in the seed beetle Stator limbatus. Oecologia 107:541–548. , and
- 2003. Multitrait selection, adaptation, and constraints on the evolution of burst swimming performance. Integr. Comp. Biol. 43:431–438. , , and
- 2001. Ecological developmental biology: developmental biology meets the real world. Dev. Biol. 233:1–12.
- 1999. Plasticity of operculum development in Bombina orientalis (Amphibia, Anura). Folia Zool. 48:233–236. , and
- 1960. A simplified table for staging anuran embryos and larvae with notes on identification. Herpetologica 16:183–190.
- 2004. Dynamics of production of sexual forms in aphids: theoretical and experimental evidence for adaptive “coin-flipping” plasticity. Am. Nat. 163:E112–E125. , , , , , , and
- 2004. Power and potential bias in the detection of selection in natural populations. Evolution 58:479–485. , and
- 2002. Biochemical adaptation: mechanism and process in physiological evolution. Oxford Univ. Press, New York . , and
- 1980. Sprint velocity of tadpoles (Bufo boreas) through metamorphosis. Copeia 1980:537–540.
- 1989. Evolution of thermal sensitivity of ectotherm performance. Trends Ecol. Evol. 4:131–135. , and
- 2001. Response surface experimental designs for investigating interspecific competition. Ecology 82:2696–2706.
- 2005. The importance of the variance around the mean effect size of ecological processes: comment. Ecology 86:262–265.
- 2003. Measuring performance in nature: implications for studies of fitness within populations. Integr. Comp. Biol. 43:396–407.
- 2001. Integrating function and ecology in studies of adaptation: investigations of locomotor capacity as a model system. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 32:367–396. , and
- 2003. The influence of predator threat on the timing of a life-history switch point: predator-induced hatching in the southern leopard frog (Rana sphenocephala). Can. J. Zool. 81:1608–1613. , , , and
- 1980. Ontogenetic energetics in Ambystoma. Physiol. Zool. 53:43–56.
- 1987. Developmental plasticity and maternal effects of reproductive characteristics in the frog, Bombina orientalis. Oecologia 71:273–279.
- 1989. Ovum size plasticity and maternal effects on the early development of the frog, Bombina orientalis Boulenger, in a field population in Korea. Funct. Ecol. 3:597–604.
- 1992. Greater maternal investment can decrease offspring survival in the frog Bombina orientalis. Ecology 73:280–288.
- 1998. Maternal effects, developmental plasticity, and life history evolution: an amphibian model. Pp. 244–260 in T. A.Mousseau, and C. W.Fox, eds. Maternal effects as adaptations. Oxford Univ. Press, New York .
- 1997. Egg size is a developmentally plastic trait: evidence from long-term studies in the frog Bombina orientalis. Herpetologica 53:149–165. , and
- 1997. Estimating ovum size in amphibians: egg size increases differently among species during early development. J. Herpetol. 31:299–302. , and
- 2003. Environmental variation and selection on performance curves. Integr. Comp. Biol. 43:470–477. , and
- 2003. Introduction: the evolution of morphology, performance, and fitness. Integr. Comp. Biol. 43:361–366. , and
- 1991. Analyzing selection with path analysis. Trends Ecol. Evol. 5:276–280. , and
- 2001. The strength of phenotypic selection in natural populations. Am. Nat. 157:245–261. , , , , , , , , and
- 1998. Relationships of lipids to ovum size in amphibians. Physiol. Zool. 71:633–641. , , and
- 1979. Quantitative genetic analysis of multivariate evolution, applied to brain:body allometry. Evolution 33:402–416.
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37:1210–1226. , and
- 2002. Maternal and genetic contributions to geographical variation in Rana temporaria larval life-history traits. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 76:61–70. , , and
- 2002a. Predator-induced plasticity in early life history and morphology in two anuran amphibians. Oecologia 132:524–530. , , and
- 2002b. Adaptive phenotypic plasticity and genetics of larval life histories in two Rana temporaria populations. Evolution 56:617–627.
- 2002. Microevolution and maternal effects on tadpole Rana temporaria growth and development rate. J. Zool. 257:93–99.
- 1990. Intraspecific and sex-specific oophagy in a salamander and a frog: reproductive convergence of Taricha torosa and Bombina orientalis. Herpetologica 46:395–399. , , and
- 1999. Ready and waiting: delayed hatching and extended incubation of anamniotic vertebrate terrestrial eggs. Am. Zool. 39:279–288.
- 1999. Effects of hypoxia on embryonic development in two Ambystoma and two Rana species. Physiol. Biochem. Zool. 72:179–188. , and
- 2000. Effects of temperature on energy cost and timing of embryonic and larval development of the terrestrially breeding moss frog, Bryobatrachus nimbus. Physiol. Biochem. Zool. 73:829–840. , and
- 2003. The effects of nest temperature, nest substrate, and clutch size on the oxygenation of embryos and larvae of the Australian moss frog, Bryobatrachus numbus. Physiol. Biochem. Zool. 76:60–71.
- 2001. Offspring size and performance in variable environments: field studies on a marine snail. Ecology 82:1597–1612. , and
- 2003. Genetic and maternal effect influences on viability of common frog tadpoles under different environmental conditions. Heredity 91:117–124. , , and
- 1992a. Maternal effects on offspring growth and development depend on environmental-quality in the frog Bombina orientalis. Oecologia 91:579–586. , and
- 1992b. Developmental consequences of tail injury on larvae of the oriental fire-bellied toad, Bombina orientalis. Copeia 1992:129–137.
- 1995. Maternal investment and developmental plasticity: functional consequences for locomotor performance of hatchling frog larvae. Funct. Ecol. 9:606–617.
- 1982. Hatching of amphibian embryos: the physiological trigger. Science 217:257–259. , , and
- 1989. Visualizing multivariate selection. Evolution 43:1209–1222. , and
- 2003. Integrating development and environment to model reproductive performance in natural populations of an intertidal gastropod. Integr. Comp. Biol. 43:450–458.
- 2004. Changes in gene expression associated with acclimation to constant temperatures and fluctuating daily temperatures in an annual killifish Austrofundulus limnaeus. J. Exp. Biol. 207:2237–2254. , and
- 1992. The measurement of selection on quantitative traits: biases due to the environmental covariances between traits and fitness. Evolution 46:616–626.
- 2002. Competitor-induced plasticity in tadpoles: consequences, cues, and connections to predator-induced plasticity. Ecol. Monog. 72:523–540.
- 2004. Fine-tuned phenotypes: tadpole plasticity under 16 combinations of predators and competitors. Ecology 85:172–179.
- 2005. Integrating ecology and developmental biology to explain the timing of frog metamorphosis. Trends Ecol. Evol. 20:129–135.
- 1999. Jensen's inequality predicts effects of environmental variation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 14:361–366. , and
- SAS Institute. 2000. The SAS system. Rel. 8.1. SAS Institute, Cary , NC .
- 1993. Genetics and evolution of phenotypic plasticity. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 24:35–68.
- 1999. Measuring natural selection on phenotypic plasticity. Evolution 53:1704–1713. , and
- 2000. Using path analysis to measure natural selection. J. Evol. Biol. 13:423–433. , , and
- 2002. Reducing environmental bias when measuring natural selection. Evolution 56:2156–2167. , , , , and
- 1998. Phenotypic evolution: a reaction norm perspective. Sinauer, Sunderland , MA . , and
- 1988. Estimating the form of natural selection on a quantitative trait. Evolution 42:849–861.
- 1994. Exploring fitness surfaces. Am. Nat. 143:597–616. , and
- 2000. Influence of environmental oxygen on development and hatching of aquatic eggs of the Australian frog, Crinia georgiana. Physiol. Biochem. Zool. 73:5010–507. , , , and
- 2001. The effect of short-term weather fluctuations on temperatures inside lizard nests, and on the phenotypic traits of hatching lizards. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 72:555–565. , and
- 2003. When to be born? Prolonged pregnancy or incubation enhances locomotor performance in neonatal lizards (Scincidae). J. Evol. Biol. 16:823–832. , and
- 1993. Delayed hatching of salamander eggs in response to enhanced larval predation risk. Am. Nat. 142:947–960. , and
- 1990. Allometric engineering: an experimental test of the causes of interpopulational differences in performance. Science 248:1106–1109. , and
- 2001. Venue and outcome in ecological experiments: manipulations of larval anurans. Oikos 94:198–208. , and
- 2005. Complex patterns of phenotypic plasticity: interactive effects of temperature during rearing and oviposition. Ecology 86:924–934. , and
- 2002. Testing for environmentally induced bias in phenotypic estimates of natural selection: theory and practice. Am. Nat. 160:511–523. , , , , , and
- 1994. Genotype-by-environment interactions for fitness of Erigeron annus show fine-scale selective heterogeneity. Evolution 48:1607–1618.
- 1999. Sources of variation in physiological phenotypes and their evolutionary significance. Am. Zool. 39:422–433. , , and
- 2002. A comparative test of the adaptive plasticity hypothesis: relationships between habitat and phenotype in anuran larvae. Am. Nat. 160:87–102.
- 2000a. Influence of tail shape on tadpole swimming performance. J. Exp. Biol. 203:2149–2158. , and
- 2000b. Functional mechanisms of an inducible defence in tadpoles: morphology and behaviour influence mortality risk from predation. J. Evol. Biol. 13:336–347.
- 1990. The causes of natural selection. Evolution 44:1947–1955. , and
- 1995. Adaptive plasticity in hatching age: a response to predation risk trade-offs. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 92:3507–3510.
- 1999. The development of behavioral defenses: a mechanistic analysis of vulnerability in red-eyed tree frog hatchlings. Behav. Ecol. 10:251–262.
- 2002. Hatching timing, oxygen availability, and external gill regression in the tree frog, Agalychnis callidryas. Physiol. Biochem. Zool. 75:155–164.
- 2001. Egg killing fungus induces early hatching of red-eyed treefrog eggs. Ecology 82:2860–2869. , , and
- 1996. Predator-mediated selection on burst swimming performance in tadpoles of the Pacific tree frog, Pseudacris regilla. Physiol. Zool. 69:154–167.
- 2000. The effects of acute and developmental temperature on burst swimming speed and myofibrillar ATPase activity in tadpoles of the pacific tree frog, Hyla regilla. Physiol. Biochem. Zool. 73:356–364.
- 1990. Measuring selection on reaction norms: an exploration of the Eurosta-Solidago system. Evolution 44:820–831. , and
- 2003. Developmental plasticity and evolution. Oxford Univ. Press, New York .
- 2000. Effect of ontogenetic increases in body size on burst swimming performance in tadpoles of the striped marsh frog, Limnodynastes peronii. Physiol. Biochem. Zool. 73:142–152. , and
- 1955. Ecology, distribution, and systematics of frogs of the Rana boylei group. Univ. Calif. Publ. Zool. 54:207–292.