*This article is the abridged version of a talk by the same title presented to the Colloquium on Inequality and Culture of Department of Sociology, Princeton University, on 1st March 2004, prepared with the editorial counsel of Daniel Sabbagh. It draws on chapter 4 of my book Deadly Symbiosis: Race and the Rise of Neoliberal Penality (Cambridge, Polity Press, in press). I am grateful to Bruce Western for his invitation and to the colloquium participants for their patient attention and vigorous questioning.
Race as civic felony*
Article first published online: 23 MAY 2005
International Social Science Journal
Volume 57, Issue 183, pages 127–142, March 2005
How to Cite
Wacquant, L. (2005), Race as civic felony. International Social Science Journal, 57: 127–142. doi: 10.1111/j.0020-8701.2005.00536.x
Loïc Wacquant is Distinguished University Professor of Sociology and Anthropology at the New School for Social Research, Professor of Sociology at the University of California, and a Researcher at the Center for European Sociology in Paris. His interests comprise comparative urban marginality, the penal state, bodily crafts, social theory, and the politics of reason. His recent books include Body & Soul: Notebooks of an Apprentice Boxer (2004) and Deadly Symbiosis: Race and the Rise of Neoliberal Penality (2005). Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Issue published online: 23 MAY 2005
- Article first published online: 23 MAY 2005
Options for accessing this content:
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!